Which book on AI does Sam refer to?

JimH

JimH
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-09-2016

05 September 2016 11:42

I was listening to one of Sam’s podcasts or interviews not long ago and he made a comment that he was mostly informed on AI from one particular book. But now I don’t remember the title of the book or which audio I heard that on. It would take me forever to re-listen to all of it. Does anyone happen to remember that reference and which book it was?
Thanks!

no_profundia

no_profundia
Total Posts:  509
Joined  14-07-2016

05 September 2016 12:00

I cannot say for sure. Sam might have mentioned a number of books on AI but I know he mentions Nick Bostrom a lot and his book Superintelligence. If I had to guess I would guess that is the one.

If you go to the recommended section of this website Sam recommends two other books related to AI: The Second Machine Age by Erik Brynjolfsson and The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil.

[ Edited: 05 September 2016 12:04 by no_profundia]

JimH

JimH
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-09-2016

05 September 2016 12:50

Thanks for the quick response!
I knew as soon as I posted the question I would find what I was looking for. It always works that way. Sam mentions it in the Joe Rogan interview and you are right, it was Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom. I had been debating whether to invest the time to read Kurzweil’s book The Singularity Is Near. But perhaps Superintelligence is a better choice. I’m not a particularly fast reader so just reading everything isn’t an option.grin

diding

diding
Total Posts:  267
Joined  07-01-2016

11 September 2016 06:37

JimH - 05 September 2016 12:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response!
I knew as soon as I posted the question I would find what I was looking for. It always works that way. Sam mentions it in the Joe Rogan interview and you are right, it was Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom. I had been debating whether to invest the time to read Kurzweil’s book The Singularity Is Near. But perhaps Superintelligence is a better choice. I’m not a particularly fast reader so just reading everything isn’t an option.grin

I didn’t finish Superintelligence.  I read Our Final Invention by James Barat first and it covered most of the same points in a shorter book.