1 2 > 

Star Trek Discovery

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

10 September 2016 13:28

Wee hoo!  This new series commences in January of 2017 (Stardate 47634.44).  Taking place ten years before The Original Series with Kirk and Spock.  The premise of the show surrounds an incident that occurs in Star Trek lore often mentioned but never explored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUOty8-Ty0

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

10 September 2016 14:58

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17529
Joined  15-02-2008

10 September 2016 20:32

They already did the before with Enterprise, which right when it was getting good, they cancelled. I would have like the future with more bad ass technology.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

11 September 2016 16:12

SkepticX - 10 September 2016 02:58 PM

Sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq4eIROAJcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPqYiGV4jIs

I’m calling it STD, personally.

Even if its bad I look forward to seeing it.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3294
Joined  21-10-2016

22 September 2017 15:51

Space Channel:  Star Trek: Discovery Premiere – Sunday, September 24
http://www.space.ca/star-trek-discovery-premiere-when-to-watch/

Set your phasers to stunned, because Star Trek: Discovery debuts this Sunday with a double episode, two-hour premiere that will serve as our introduction to the crew of the U.S.S. Shenzou, a high-stakes Klingon conflict, and the Starfleet history that came before the many missions of Captains Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and many more.

The epic new adventure will have its inaugural launch on September 24, beginning at 8:30pm ET (5:30pm PT) with Star Trek Discovery’s first episode, “The Vulcan Hello” (note: Sunday night’s football game may shift the start time ever so slightly). Out on Federation space patrol, the U.S.S. Shenzhou encounters an object of unknown origin, putting First Officer Michael Burnham (series star Sonequa Martin-Green) to her greatest test yet.

Don’t go anywhere, because we’re airing the second episode at 9:35pm ET (6:35pm PT). In “Battle at the Binary Stars,” the Shenzhou comes face to face with Klingon vessels and prepares for the possibility of war if negotiations fail. Amidst the turmoil, Burnham looks back to her Vulcan upbringing for guidance.

I know what I’ll be watching Sunday night!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

23 September 2017 07:04

The Walking Dead fans might appreciate that Sonequa Martin-Green (Sasha of TWD) plays a lead role as lieutenant commander of U.S.S. Shenzhou and Discovery.

[ Edited: 23 September 2017 07:13 by Jan_CAN]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

25 September 2017 14:24

Did anyone watch the premier of the new Star Trek: Discovery series?

I like the new character Michael Burnham played by Sonequa Martin-Green.

I really don’t like the new Klingon look.  They look less real and it seems just plain wrong to change them at this point.  Poor Worf—he’s not going to recognize his ancestors.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

25 September 2017 17:58

Jan_CAN - 25 September 2017 02:24 PM

I really don’t like the new Klingon look.  They look less real and it seems just plain wrong to change them at this point.  Poor Worf—he’s not going to recognize his ancestors.

Not a bad stater. I really liked the dialog and play between characters. But that’s it for free, now the show is pay to play only.

Zardoz Speakz

Zardoz Speakz
Total Posts:  34
Joined  22-07-2017

26 September 2017 09:25

I wasn’t that impressed.  I found the dialogue really clunky, wasn’t that interested in the characters, found too much exposition, the flashbacks didn’t do it for me, and various things didn’t make much sense to me.  For instance, how did hologram Sarek sit down?  Not that I usually care much about such stuff in shows—I can suspend my disbelief or come up with hypotheses that work well enough for me.

I did like seeing Michelle Yeoh in it.  I’m not that keen on the war story arc, either.  That said, I will continue watching as I have Space anyway, and the show might grow on me.  I didn’t think it was bad, but it didn’t excite me.

I loved the original Star Trek series, but none of the other series have matched it for me.  I wish there was more SF and fantasy series for me to get excited about.  I am really looking forward to season two of Westworld and the next Black Mirror series, as well as the next Stranger Things (and will do re-runs of Utopia and Real Humans one of these days).  And Doctor Who I enjoy as a family show.  And I’ll be trying Electric Dreams when it comes out here (big Philip K. Dick fan).

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

27 September 2017 05:09

Jan_CAN - 25 September 2017 02:24 PM

I thought it was a fairly strong Trek pilot—has a lot of potential.

Not a fan of the new Klingon shtick either—they looked kinda non-functional to me, as if their movement and senses are inherently restricted (wrong head is I think what they call that). Seems a strange decision. They’ll have to go with another major timeline—fuel for a future episode or so and/or series of segments explaining it.

Sonequa Martin-Green is fun to watch ... we’ll have to see what they do with the return to the human/vulcan hybrid thing.

[ Edited: 27 September 2017 05:11 by SkepticX]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

27 September 2017 07:27

I enjoyed it too.  I got the impression Michael is a human that was raised by Vulcans.  I like her even more than I did when she was dodging zombies.  Maybe the weirdness of the Klingons has something to do with the vaccine that Doctor Pholx created to combat the virus that genetically altered their genome on the Enterprise series.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

27 September 2017 07:51

The part that strained belief for me was Michael mutinying and trying to attack. I had to struggle to let that one not break the illusion. Anyways I won’t pay to play so that’s it for me until this hits DVD some time next year. Anyone here going to subscribe to keep watching?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

27 September 2017 09:39

GAD - 27 September 2017 07:51 AM

The part that strained belief for me was Michael mutinying and trying to attack. I had to struggle to let that one not break the illusion. Anyways I won’t pay to play so that’s it for me until this hits DVD some time next year. Anyone here going to subscribe to keep watching?

Although the talent of the actors and the interesting characters is promising, I’m also not quite sure yet about the plot writing.  If the writers try too hard to be new/different, and put more emphasis on special effects rather than plot and character, they may lose (or disappoint) some of the ST series’ fan base.  Time will tell.

It might be hard to get over losing the sexy Klingons of the Star Trek past (or should I say future?).

As I already subscribe to the Space Channel, there will be no extra cost so will keep watching.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6333
Joined  22-02-2005

27 September 2017 20:25

I caught about thirty seconds of it. Those were Klingons?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

29 September 2017 13:02

Oh those Klingons.  What a bunch of knuckle-heads!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

17 January 2019 16:43

Just noticed that the second season starts up tonight, January 17 at 8:00 p.m. EST on the Space Channel.

1 2 >