Islam fights free speech (a nice, summary list)

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7686
Joined  22-02-2014

11 September 2016 09:15

A nice list of recent situations in which Islam threatens authors and publishers:

Islam vs. free speech

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

11 September 2016 18:28

For criticizing Islam, Hamed Abdel-Samad lives under police protection in Germany and, as with Rushdie, a fatwa hangs over him. After the fatwa come the insults: being censored by a free publishing house. This is what the Soviets did to destroy writers: destroy their books.

At a time when dozens of novelists, journalists and scholars are facing Islamists’ threats, it is unforgivable that Western publishers not only agree to bow down, but are often the first to capitulate.

A Paris court convicted Renaud Camus for “Islamophobia” (a fine of 4,000 euros) for a speech he gave in 2010, in which he spoke of the replacement of the French people under the Trojan horse of multiculturalism. Another writer, Richard Millet, was fired last March by Gallimard publishing house for his ideas on multiculturalism.

Not only did Rushdie’s publishers capitulate; other publishers also decided to break rank and return to do business with Tehran. Oxford University Press decided to take part in the Tehran Book Fair along with two American publishers, McGraw-Hill and John Wiley. Those publishers chose to respond to murderous censorship with surrender.

It is as if at the time of the Nazis’ book-burnings, Western publishers had not only stood silent, but had also invited a German delegation to Paris and New York.

OneStepUp

OneStepUp
Total Posts:  6
Joined  27-09-2016

27 September 2016 03:36

I think this idea of controlled media needs to be extended to other situations…. Most sheeple believe what they’re told in the MSM - which also means, they tend not to believe things they haven’t seen or read in the mainstream media. EG, the role of Russia in Syria, and some of what’s happened over there in the last few years; what happened in Ukraine a few years ago (and who did what to whom and when); and even in our own backyards, where scientific research is being blatantly ignored to keep the status quo in the medical industry (and even threatening doctors who oppose said status quo).

I’ll also throw in here one last idea about control of media, threats, and agendas… the 9/11 truth movement. They only ask for an independent inquiry to be set up that is well-funded, and has strong judicial powers. The original hearings were a joke, and various staffers are known to have lied (categorically proven) under oath, evidence was both ignored, and redacted, to the point that the heads of the hearings said the ‘official’ version is full of holes that need answering. And parts of the ‘evidence’ are still secret and confidential… AND YET… this official version has been the cause of hundreds of thousands of innocent lives being lost, countries torn apart, international acts of terrorism (and a spike in said terrorism around the world)... not to mention the masses of wealth garnered by the military, gun and oil lobbies in various countries (who, coincidentally, happened to have influence and input into the ‘official version’).

While I don’t think it’s good that Muslims should threaten with death (let alone carry it out) authors or publishers of books, we shouldn’t be blind to the fact that Islam isn’t the only ‘organisation’ that does such things..

Barry0tter

Barry0tter
Total Posts:  218
Joined  25-08-2016

27 September 2016 12:47

Another couple of examples:

Austria

Germany

The most depressing part is that most people are either unaware or think this kind of shit is acceptable. Also the OP didn’t even seem to mention Danish cartoons, Charlie Hebdo or Theo Van Gogh.

Hypersoup

Hypersoup
Total Posts:  688
Joined  24-01-2013

06 October 2016 03:05

Icehorse and co fight free speech:

Icehorse:

I agree with the history. I disagree that the situation is unfixable.

For example, now that the world is connected in real-time via the internet, we can all marginalize Islam at the same time.

https://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/68681/#842372

Speech is free for all, all opinions are worthy of defence and analysuis, but Muslims are excluded a priori…?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7686
Joined  22-02-2014

08 October 2016 08:36

Hypersoup - 06 October 2016 03:05 AM

Icehorse and co fight free speech:

Icehorse:

I agree with the history. I disagree that the situation is unfixable.

For example, now that the world is connected in real-time via the internet, we can all marginalize Islam at the same time.

https://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/68681/#842372

Speech is free for all, all opinions are worthy of defence and analysuis, but Muslims are excluded a priori…?

Of course not. Anyone and everyone is free to defend Islam. But IMO, if we have logical, rational arguments, defending Islam is gonna quite difficult.