Poll: Should College Grants be Available Equally to all Genders?

Yes

No

Building on ideas of Dawkins

HarrisForPresident

HarrisForPresident
Total Posts:  12
Joined  09-09-2016

05 October 2016 01:10

@RichardDawkins Agreeing that no Islamic & Tory kids exist, https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/505978896324775936

Why is it gaining wide acceptance to encourage kids to crossdress and have bi-sexual crushes? What’s wrong with being a boy, girl, or unsure? I base this question on Sweden’s children advertising for pushing dolls on boys and trucks on girls as well as popular television shows, like “House of Lies” and “Orphan Black”, where in one episode a little boy, who does not want to dress-up as a girl, is shunned, and then capitulates. Gender questioning is the minority and ought not to be pushed on everybody.

This is furthered by racism and intolerance. We do not discourage racism against black children by encouraging white children to wear black face, or vice versa. We do not encourage or shame these kids to adapt the others’ culture as they are who they are and who they want to be. Why is it okay to encourage or shame traditional boys and girls into non-traditional genders? We ought to encourage kids to be themselves as well as accept the minority of children who question. As a baby, in the 1990s, I provided my son with the options of trucks and dolls, without shame, and he always chose the trucks; it would have been wrong for me to force dolls on him when he showed no interest. If you run searches for college scholarships within Washington State, the majority of college scholarships for non-highschool students are nearly exclusively for gender questioning individuals through Pride, and other, foundations. There is also “pride” in not questioning gender and accepting who you are as well as accepting others as they are.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  19-01-2015

05 October 2016 02:51

Gender identity is not a question of biology alone.

Take the example of teaching your kids to play an instrument: you might have to let them try a number of them before you find one they like enough to put some practice in (or decide they want to do something different).
Something similar is necessary for finding your identity vis-a-vis yourself and others: it will probably take some people into their tweens to be stable enough in their sexuality to determine who they are and what kind of person they want to have a relationship with. It is healthy to let them know that there are more than two options, and that they are in no rush to commit to a social norm about their gender.

Let’s keep in mind that for most kids this is not really an issue; but we do have to be aware to catch those who are having a hard time accepting themselves as something outside the binary norm of male and female.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  26-03-2013

05 October 2016 05:53

What I think is meant by Mr. Dawkins comment is that everyone enters the world as an atheist.

I agree that children should have a wide variety of options when it comes to toys and activities and nothing should deter that based on aspects about themselves beyond their control.  It stifles creativity.  When you order a Happy Meal from McDonald’s they ask if you want a boy toy or a girl toy.  A bit archaic isn’t it?  I always have to ask what the toy is before making a decision.  Also, when I was a kid my Barbie thought Ken was gay so she dated G.I. Joe instead.  She thought he had way cooler accessories (each sold separately) and didn’t mind when she picked him up in her Corvette.  And the real clincher, ahem, was of course the Kung Fu Grip.     

Are you suggesting there’s an incentive for people to claim to be questioning their sexuality to benefit from financial assistance for college?  And this possibly excludes the students who don’t?  Is that the concern?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17615
Joined  15-02-2008

05 October 2016 08:19

That we are born as atheists is based on the popular view/chant that atheism is “lack of belief in gods”. Per this view children, the mentally challenged and people who have never heard of gods etc are atheists. That’s convenient but I disagree with that view, atheism is the positive denial of gods not ignorance of them. What we are all born as is ignorant, and if your parents are theists there is a 95% chance that you will grow up ignorant.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 October 2016 08:21

BTW How do we go from the Dawkins tweet to ” encourage kids to crossdress and have bi-sexual crushes?”?

HarrisForPresident

HarrisForPresident
Total Posts:  12
Joined  09-09-2016

08 October 2016 17:34

GAD - 05 October 2016 08:21 AM

BTW How do we go from the Dawkins tweet to ” encourage kids to crossdress and have bi-sexual crushes?”?

According to Steven Pinker, and others, there is biology in the fact that humans (and other animals and primates), are predisposed to mythology.  Therefore, we must be careful what is said to vulnerable children, viz. encouraging them to be Islams, Communists, Christians, Torys et cetera.  Children are too young to make these important decisions even though they are biologically disposed to believe mythology and what adults tell them to believe.

When fighting for civil rights, we did not encourage black kids to wear white face to fit in.  Nor did we encourage white kids to wear black face in unity.  Why are we encouraging kids in a sexual and gender manner?

While I agree that a minority of individuals are biologically not female, nor male, or perhaps a combination of both male and female, there is zero reason to encourage all children to question gender.  Again, what is wrong with being a she, a he, or a ze?  When kids are so young, they do not need to be encouraged to question their gender and sexual preference.  I am simply referring to a popular television show that shunned a straight boy for not wanting to dress up as a girl and am concerned that the scholarships for college would encourage youths to feel like it is wrong to be the gender of a boy or girl.  I do not mind that there will be gender neutral bathrooms.  I do mind that in the effort to unify with a few ze’s to fit in, that others are considered intolerant for wanting to be a boy or a girl. 

College ought to be for any person, who makes the effort with good grades, to be able to attend. 

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

09 October 2016 10:26

HarrisForPresident - 08 October 2016 05:34 PM
GAD - 05 October 2016 08:21 AM

According to Steven Pinker, and others, there is biology in the fact that humans (and other animals and primates), are predisposed to mythology.  Therefore, we must be careful what is said to vulnerable children, viz. encouraging them to be Islams, Communists, Christians, Torys et cetera.  Children are too young to make these important decisions even though they are biologically disposed to believe mythology and what adults tell them to believe.

OK

When fighting for civil rights, we did not encourage black kids to wear white face to fit in.  Nor did we encourage white kids to wear black face in unity.  Why are we encouraging kids in a sexual and gender manner?

hum… two separate things and other then some fringe movement I’m don’t know that the latter is true.

While I agree that a minority of individuals are biologically not female, nor male, or perhaps a combination of both male and female, there is zero reason to encourage all children to question gender.  Again, what is wrong with being a she, a he, or a ze?  When kids are so young, they do not need to be encouraged to question their gender and sexual preference.  I am simply referring to a popular television show that shunned a straight boy for not wanting to dress up as a girl and am concerned that the scholarships for college would encourage youths to feel like it is wrong to be the gender of a boy or girl.  I do not mind that there will be gender neutral bathrooms.  I do mind that in the effort to unify with a few ze’s to fit in, that others are considered intolerant for wanting to be a boy or a girl.

I would agree that kids don’t need to be encouraged to question their gender and sexual preference. I watch Orphan Black and I didn’t notice this as a theme. 

College ought to be for any person, who makes the effort with good grades, to be able to attend.

OK

Throwdare

Throwdare
Total Posts:  323
Joined  10-10-2016

14 October 2016 19:37

Dawkins is out of the park.

Christopher Hitchins denied him (indirectely) as being a mere atheist and not a classy and courageous anti-theist like Christopher was. The gap between those two kinds of warriors can’t be deeper, although they seem to have come from the same conclusions.

This can not be posted enough, therefore….

Christopher Hitchens makes a shocking confession
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9TMwfkDwIY

Once again, an anti-theist isn’t a mere atheist. An anti-theist needs to know what it is all about what theists promote, to be able to oppose it. A mere atheist can’t do that.

[ Edited: 14 October 2016 19:39 by Throwdare]