Poll: Sam should have Eckhart Tolle on his podcast

Yes, I agree!

Not interested...

Just read Waking Up, now I want to hear Sam have a conversation with Eckhart Tolle

Gautama

Gautama
Total Posts:  4
Joined  08-10-2016

08 October 2016 13:38

I’ve been a fan of Eckhart Tolle’s work for years. After just having read Waking Up, I would really love to hear Sam interview Eckhart, who claims to have experienced an awakening in 1977, at the age of 29, that totally separated him from his ego. Allegedly, he’s been in a blissful state ever since. Sam would be the perfect person to examine this in an interview and get to the bottom of whether Eckhart is for real or not.

I’m new here on the forum, and I don’t know if this have been discussed before. Any thoughts on this?

Throwdare

Throwdare
Total Posts:  323
Joined  10-10-2016

12 October 2016 06:55

Gautama - 08 October 2016 01:38 PM

I’ve been a fan of Eckhart Tolle’s work for years. After just having read Waking Up, I would really love to hear Sam interview Eckhart, who claims to have experienced an awakening in 1977, at the age of 29, that totally separated him from his ego. Allegedly, he’s been in a blissful state ever since. Sam would be the perfect person to examine this in an interview and get to the bottom of whether Eckhart is for real or not.

I’m new here on the forum, and I don’t know if this have been discussed before. Any thoughts on this?

I hope Sam Harris’ first question to Eckhart (actually that’s not his real name. His real name is Ulrich) will be: Where did all the money go you made with a little help from Ophra?

Lausten

Lausten
Total Posts:  268
Joined  12-09-2016

12 October 2016 10:35

Do you really need Sam for this? It sounds like you are already skeptical about Tolle. What have you done to examine your own opinion about him. Taking something you’ve accepted for a long time and questioning yourself about it is a great exercise. Tolle is known for expressing things that are based on existing philosophies without referencing those philosophies. He is then free claim he thought it up and give you his train of thought on how he got there. You could start by looking for things like that and finding what other philosophers have said about it.

Gautama

Gautama
Total Posts:  4
Joined  08-10-2016

17 October 2016 09:46

Lausten - 12 October 2016 10:35 AM

Do you really need Sam for this? It sounds like you are already skeptical about Tolle. What have you done to examine your own opinion about him. Taking something you’ve accepted for a long time and questioning yourself about it is a great exercise. Tolle is known for expressing things that are based on existing philosophies without referencing those philosophies. He is then free claim he thought it up and give you his train of thought on how he got there. You could start by looking for things like that and finding what other philosophers have said about it.

I believe Tolle is the real deal. However, it would be really interesting to hear Sam get to the bottom of what really happened in his brain that day back in 1977.

Lausten

Lausten
Total Posts:  268
Joined  12-09-2016

17 October 2016 11:39

Gautama - 17 October 2016 09:46 AM

I believe Tolle is the real deal. However, it would be really interesting to hear Sam get to the bottom of what really happened in his brain that day back in 1977.

Okay. I don’t know what you mean by “real deal”. I don’t doubt his sincerity, but I doubt he is anything unique. There is nothing that “happened in his brain” that will yield any stunning new insights into the human experience. He helped himself out of some mental trouble, and was probably unaware of the sources he was drawing on. Those sources have melded into our culture, and he absorbed them. That he communicated them in a way that helped others is great. He has said he was surprised by the response to his writing.

But by now, he has to have heard that his ideas have been discussed before, there are problems with some of them, there are alternatives he hasn’t considered. But he seems to ignore that. He’s happy in his own little world.

jy30

jy30
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-01-2020

05 January 2020 12:32

I’m just getting in on this and not sure if anyone is still following this but it still looks like (in 2019) that both Sam and Eckhart Tolle are relevant and Sam has continued to take some potshots (perhaps understandably) at Tolle. I wonder how this impacts the overall conversation about free speech and the “giving someone a platform” debate. Presumably, Harris doesn’t like Tolle but I don’t believe that he thinks of him as “dangerous” just misguided. I may be imputing beliefs on Sam that he doesn’t actually hold (he may well think Tolle is dangerous) but if both have an audience and Sam thinks Eckhart relevant enough to take shots at him I wonder where the line is.

I miss the old days when Sam almost certainly would’ve run into Tolle in a debate at some small church, with a quaint non-rowdy audience.

https://scholarfactcheck.com/sam-harris-on-eckhart-tolle/