Joined  17-12-2006

30 October 2016 10:19
Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

30 October 2016 11:11

Good link.  Worth a read.  Did like this list pf control techniques:

Peer group pressure:  Suppressing doubt and resistance to new ideas by exploiting the need to belong

Love bombing:  Exploiting the innate need for intimacy by creating a sense of family and belonging through hugging, kissing, touching and flattery

Hypnosis:  Inducing a state of high suggestibility by using trance-inducing techniques such as relaxation, musical chanting, emotionally arousing music, rhythmic movements or techniques thinly disguised as meditation

Rejection of old values:  Accelerating acceptance of new life style by constantly denouncing former values and beliefs

Confusion:  Encouraging blind acceptance and rejection of logic through interminable complex lectures on incomprehensible doctrines

Metacommunication:  Implanting subliminal messages by stressing certain key words or phrases in long harangues often called lectures.

Removal of privacy:  Achieving a loss of the ability to evaluate experience logically by preventing private contemplation

Time sense deprivation:  Destroying the ability to evaluate information, personal reactions, and body functions in relation to passage of time by removing all clocks and watches

Disinhibition:  Encouraging child-like obedience by orchestrating child-like behaviour such as circle dancing, chanting

Uncompromising rules:  Inducing regression and disorientation by soliciting agreement to seemingly simple rules which regulate mealtimes, bathroom breaks and use of medications

Verbal abuse:  Desensitizing through bombardment with critical, foul and abusive language

Sleep deprivation and fatigue:  Creating disorientation and vulnerability by prolonging mental and physical activity and withholding adequate rest and sleep — typical brainwashing process

Dress codes:  Removing individuality by demanding conformity to the group dress code — sometimes by removing all clothes in ritual circumstances

Chanting and singing:  Eliminating non-cult ideas through group repetition of mind-narrowing chants or phrases

Confession:  Encouraging the destruction of individual ego through confession of personal weaknesses and innermost feelings of doubt

Financial commitment:  Achieving increased dependence on the group by ‘burning bridges’ to the past, through the donation of assets

Finger pointing:  Creating a false sense of righteousness by pointing to the shortcomings of the outside world and other cults

Flaunting hierarchy:  Promoting acceptance of cult authority by promising advancement, power and salvation

Isolation:  Inducing loss of reality by physical separation from family, friends, society and rational references

Controlled approval:  Maintaining vulnerability and confusion by alternately rewarding and punishing similar actions

Change of diet:  Creating disorientation and increased susceptibility to emotional arousal by depriving the nervous system of necessary nutrients through the use of special diets and/or fasting

Games:  Inducing dependence on the group by introducing games with obscure rules

No questions:  Accomplishing automatic acceptance of beliefs by discouraging questions

Guilt:  Reinforcing the need for ‘salvation’ by exaggerating the sins of the former lifestyles

Fear:  Maintaining loyalty and obedience to the group by threatening soul, life or limb for the slightest ‘negative’ thought, word or deed

Replacement of relationships: Destroying pre-cult families by arranging cult marriages and ‘families’

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15192
Joined  17-12-2006

30 October 2016 17:15

Dennis Campbell - 30 October 2016 11:11 AM

Good link.  Worth a read.  Did like this list pf control techniques:

Peer group pressure:  Suppressing doubt and resistance to new ideas by exploiting the need to belong

Love bombing:  Exploiting the innate need for intimacy by creating a sense of family and belonging through hugging, kissing, touching and flattery

Hypnosis:  Inducing a state of high suggestibility by using trance-inducing techniques such as relaxation, musical chanting, emotionally arousing music, rhythmic movements or techniques thinly disguised as meditation

Rejection of old values:  Accelerating acceptance of new life style by constantly denouncing former values and beliefs

Confusion:  Encouraging blind acceptance and rejection of logic through interminable complex lectures on incomprehensible doctrines

Metacommunication:  Implanting subliminal messages by stressing certain key words or phrases in long harangues often called lectures.

Removal of privacy:  Achieving a loss of the ability to evaluate experience logically by preventing private contemplation

Time sense deprivation:  Destroying the ability to evaluate information, personal reactions, and body functions in relation to passage of time by removing all clocks and watches

Disinhibition:  Encouraging child-like obedience by orchestrating child-like behaviour such as circle dancing, chanting

Uncompromising rules:  Inducing regression and disorientation by soliciting agreement to seemingly simple rules which regulate mealtimes, bathroom breaks and use of medications

Verbal abuse:  Desensitizing through bombardment with critical, foul and abusive language

Sleep deprivation and fatigue:  Creating disorientation and vulnerability by prolonging mental and physical activity and withholding adequate rest and sleep — typical brainwashing process

Dress codes:  Removing individuality by demanding conformity to the group dress code — sometimes by removing all clothes in ritual circumstances

Chanting and singing:  Eliminating non-cult ideas through group repetition of mind-narrowing chants or phrases

Confession:  Encouraging the destruction of individual ego through confession of personal weaknesses and innermost feelings of doubt

Financial commitment:  Achieving increased dependence on the group by ‘burning bridges’ to the past, through the donation of assets

Finger pointing:  Creating a false sense of righteousness by pointing to the shortcomings of the outside world and other cults

Flaunting hierarchy:  Promoting acceptance of cult authority by promising advancement, power and salvation

Isolation:  Inducing loss of reality by physical separation from family, friends, society and rational references

Controlled approval:  Maintaining vulnerability and confusion by alternately rewarding and punishing similar actions

Change of diet:  Creating disorientation and increased susceptibility to emotional arousal by depriving the nervous system of necessary nutrients through the use of special diets and/or fasting

Games:  Inducing dependence on the group by introducing games with obscure rules

No questions:  Accomplishing automatic acceptance of beliefs by discouraging questions

Guilt:  Reinforcing the need for ‘salvation’ by exaggerating the sins of the former lifestyles

Fear:  Maintaining loyalty and obedience to the group by threatening soul, life or limb for the slightest ‘negative’ thought, word or deed

Replacement of relationships: Destroying pre-cult families by arranging cult marriages and ‘families’

Yes, now that we have the secrets we can become wealthy. As a respected elderly figure with a Colonel Sanders mien you can be the public face while I collect the cash.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

30 October 2016 17:26

Yes, now that we have the secrets we can become wealthy. As a respected elderly figure with a Colonel Sanders mien you can be the public face while I collect the cash.

Damn Capitalistic, liberal, fuzzy-minded, exploiter of kindly, gentle, generous, sensitive, wise, forgiving; impotent elderly men!

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

31 October 2016 06:38

Niclynn’s habitual pattern - doesn’t actually want to be in your cult, but really wants to come snuggle with it occasionally. (When I say ‘cult’, I mean ‘any really tight - to the point of it being extreme - in-group’, as I think that’s essentially what cults are. That or Vegas. A lot of the list of cult descriptors sounded exactly like Vegas.)

I think the thing is, that ‘cult’ is a scary word, but we see these same basic patterns in many places. Any group that does a ‘boot camp’ style orientation, from sports teams to the military to fraternities and sororities. Any intense workplace culture, like parts of the financial industry (little sleep, everyone has to wear the same designer clothes, verbal abuse…)

I think, again, this mostly represents the extreme end of the spectrum for collectivism vs. individualism. I also think the role of God in the human mind is an interesting one here, in that sometimes religions engage in cult-like behavior but loyalty to a personal God could actually inoculate a person from the extremes of in-group behavior. I was thinking of this recently when I saw a study saying that liberals are more authoritarian than conservatives, which seems counterintuitive as we have “the religious right” in this country - but it could be that personal religion, to some extent, actually encourages individualism to the degree that it asks a person to put God over group.

Phluffy666

Phluffy666
Total Posts:  115
Joined  23-09-2016

31 October 2016 07:03

Great link!

Now I have a step-by-step guide for taking my local chapter of the Doomsday Cult of Sithrak the Blind Gibberer to the next level!

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

31 October 2016 09:49

Dennis Campbell - 30 October 2016 05:26 PM

Damn Capitalistic, liberal, fuzzy-minded, exploiter of kindly, gentle, generous, sensitive, wise, forgiving; impotent elderly men!

Give me a break, nobody else around here is gullible enough to exploit.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

31 October 2016 09:51

burt - 31 October 2016 09:49 AM

That gave me warm fuzzy feeling!

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

31 October 2016 23:17

Dennis Campbell - 31 October 2016 09:51 AM
burt - 31 October 2016 09:49 AM

That gave me warm fuzzy feeling!

Sort of like the dog?