Pushing for logical reasoning to be taught at schools and university.

Jamie

Jamie
Total Posts:  23
Joined  17-10-2016

04 November 2016 14:43

Throughout my entire schooling and university I was never taught what logical reasoning is, or more importantly, what it is not. Whats more, I was tacitly taught the post-modern relativistic creed that all ideas were equally valid and that we should respect all views.  If we had good training in using and recognising sound logical reasoning on the one hand and recognising fallacious reasoning on the other, the world would have much more meaningful discourses on important issues.

I propose that we push for logical reasoning to be taught at schools and universities!

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7621
Joined  22-02-2014

08 November 2016 18:28

I suspect you’ll get a lot of support for that orientation here on the SH forum. You certainly have my agreement.

Let me ask you this, if you could teach the general population only 4 common fallacy arguments, which would you pick?

Jamie

Jamie
Total Posts:  23
Joined  17-10-2016

09 November 2016 19:13

icehorse - 08 November 2016 06:28 PM

I suspect you’ll get a lot of support for that orientation here on the SH forum. You certainly have my agreement.

Let me ask you this, if you could teach the general population only 4 common fallacy arguments, which would you pick?

Good question.
I think I would probably start with some psychology. Look at things like Cognitive dissonance, false consesnsus, outgroup homogeneity etc. Try to teach people to observe their thinking processes and look for motivations behind their thinking.  Looking at whether you are trying to win an argument or trying to ascertain the reality of an issue. As for logical fallacies, the straw man is a classic that needs to be recognised (and replaced with the steel man!)

I think that School debates are a dangerous thing to have in education as they fundamentally teach how to win an argument rather than how to find the truth

Niklas

Niklas
Total Posts:  28
Joined  08-11-2016

13 November 2016 09:27

How do you propose we do this?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7621
Joined  22-02-2014

13 November 2016 09:32

Niklas - 13 November 2016 09:27 AM

How do you propose we do this?

Curriculum’s can be changed if enough people get behind promoting a topic.