Suicide Watch—Concerns for Sam Harris

TroliusMaximus

TroliusMaximus
Total Posts:  167
Joined  20-09-2016

08 November 2016 23:50

Anyone heard from our favourite iconoclast of erudition, Mr. Sam Harris?  For after what’s just transpired in the U.$.—although unsurprising from those of us looking in and laughing our collective arse off!—may have dashed his enthusiasm for life itself…. /!\

Any news on his next podcast…?  =/

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  12-07-2016

09 November 2016 00:02

On twitter he is apologising for “jinxing the election”—last night he’d tweeted a pic of Trump with the words “bye-bye, Donald”. But he’s feeling somewhat more chipper now as he’s just tweeted: “The irony: 81 percent of Evangelicals just elected our first atheist president.”

TroliusMaximus

TroliusMaximus
Total Posts:  167
Joined  20-09-2016

09 November 2016 00:07

lol!  I think he can be forgiven for not being as au fait with the zeitgeist of the ‘unwashed masses’... Though, I myself, probably would not have Tweeted those sentiments.  =|

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  934
Joined  01-11-2014

09 November 2016 10:12

Regardless of whatever Sam feels about the election outcome, he is still right in all his pronouncements about Trump.

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

09 November 2016 15:59

TroliusMaximus - 09 November 2016 12:07 AM

lol!  I think he can be forgiven for not being as au fait with the zeitgeist of the ‘unwashed masses’... Though, I myself, probably would not have Tweeted those sentiments.  =|

I’m not sure what this is about…are you taking a big swipe at him? Revelling in some perceived loss? I’d have to ask - Why?  ??

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

09 November 2016 15:59

Sarcastic Fringehead - 09 November 2016 10:12 AM

Regardless of whatever Sam feels about the election outcome, he is still right in all his pronouncements about Trump.

Agree wholeheartedly.

numinous_1

numinous_1
Total Posts:  27
Joined  16-10-2016

12 November 2016 12:20

No he is not. I listened to podcast #49, he is a fear monger.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

12 November 2016 12:53

numinous_1 - 12 November 2016 12:20 PM

Aren’t we all?

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

12 November 2016 15:02

No, he is a trusting bloke who takes people at their word. This is probably a flaw. People lie more than Sam is prepared to believe.

When someone says they’ll punish women for abortions, he thinks they may really want to punish women for abortions. Trump is doing Sam’s head in because Trump says whatever pops into his candyfloss head and runs with it because he is so narcissistic that he trusts his own caprice and whim.

This makes Trump an unpredictable, temperamental, short sighted wally, which is vaguely dangerous in some professions such as kindergarten teacher or brick layer, alarming in other professions such police officer or priest, and deadly in others such as Supreme Court Judge or Commander in Chief.

If Sam is looking at worse case scenarios, it’s only because that’s the rational approach. To presume/assume/kid yourself that the only consequence will best case scenario is irrational. 

To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail, etc.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16307
Joined  15-02-2008

12 November 2016 15:08

Ola - 12 November 2016 03:02 PM

No, he is a trusting bloke who takes people at their word. This is probably a flaw. People lie more than Sam is prepared to believe.

When someone says they’ll punish women for abortions, he thinks they may really want to punish women for abortions. Trump is doing Sam’s head in because Trump says whatever pops into his candyfloss head and runs with it because he is so narcissistic that he trusts his own caprice and whim.

This makes Trump an unpredictable, temperamental, short sighted wally, which is vaguely dangerous in some professions such as kindergarten teacher or brick layer, alarming in other professions such police officer or priest, and deadly in others such as Supreme Court Judge or Commander in Chief.

If Sam is looking at worse case scenarios, it’s only because that’s the rational approach. To presume/assume/kid yourself that the only consequence will best case scenario is irrational. 

LOL! Sorry for the tangent, but this is the same argument I made to you about Islam and Muslims. 

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

12 November 2016 15:11

GAD - 12 November 2016 03:08 PM
Ola - 12 November 2016 03:02 PM

LOL! Sorry for the tangent, but this is the same argument I made to you about Islam and Muslims. 

Is it?

And I disagreed?

Then that is funny! :D