Does Sam Harris have a piece examining the New Testament in particular? 

dihard

dihard
Total Posts:  1
Joined  21-11-2016

21 November 2016 20:20

I read The End of Faith and Sam’s dismantling of the Koran and Old Testament was great but I noticed the New Testament was barely mentioned. I found this odd given that the first counter-argument by almost every christian is “The new testament supercedes the old”. The distribution of criticism in this book would make sense if he was refuting Islam and Judiasm. He does a great job of linking Koran verses to Islamic atrocities with simple linear causation from text to the actions but doesn’t do the same with Christian atrocities directly from New Testament verses. He makes the assertion that the Christian texts are just as violent if not moreso but this position seems weakened by him not drawing from what most Christians would consider the more core text.

This is not to say I don’t agree with his premise just that I would like to see more detailed exploration in the same way Sam did with the Koran and Old Testament. Does Sam or any other prominent atheist writer take a closer examination of the New Testament in any article/book?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5969
Joined  22-02-2005

22 November 2016 09:15

I think we’re drawing a blank re Harris. When referenced at all, it is mostly compared favorably to its rivals.

The Old Teste stuff is an easier target.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7880
Joined  20-02-2006

25 November 2016 10:18

dihard - 21 November 2016 08:20 PM

I read The End of Faith and Sam’s dismantling of the Koran and Old Testament was great but I noticed the New Testament was barely mentioned. I found this odd given that the first counter-argument by almost every christian is “The new testament supercedes the old”. The distribution of criticism in this book would make sense if he was refuting Islam and Judiasm. He does a great job of linking Koran verses to Islamic atrocities with simple linear causation from text to the actions but doesn’t do the same with Christian atrocities directly from New Testament verses. He makes the assertion that the Christian texts are just as violent if not moreso but this position seems weakened by him not drawing from what most Christians would consider the more core text.

This is not to say I don’t agree with his premise just that I would like to see more detailed exploration in the same way Sam did with the Koran and Old Testament. Does Sam or any other prominent atheist writer take a closer examination of the New Testament in any article/book?

https://www.samharris.org/letter-to-a-christian-nation

“I dare you to read this book…it will not leave you unchanged. Read it if it is the last thing you do.”
— Richard Dawkins, author of The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion
From his Foreward to the UK Edition

In the End of Faith, what did you think of chapter 3 - ‘In the Shadow of God’?