1 2 3 >  Last ›

Poll: How much do you enjoy the Christmas season?

I enjoy everything about the Christmas season.

I enjoy some aspects of the season (e.g. family/friend gatherings, gift giving).

I don’t enjoy much about Christmas, but it doesn’t affect me.

I find the Christmas season to be stressful.

Bah humbug.

Christmas - love it, or not (a Poll)

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2081
Joined  21-10-2016

17 December 2016 15:54

I used to love Christmas; now I don’t.

Of course, Christmas can be a wonderful time of year for many (most?) people.  However, for some of us, it can be a stressful and sad time of year.  And if you don’t love Christmas, you better not let on or you’ll be treated like a scrooge.  Keep it to yourself, smile, keep up the false cheer ‘til your face hurts.

Some minor things that annoy me at Christmas (my apologies if I offend anyone):
  - People who have all of their presents bought and wrapped by December 1
  - An excessive number of workplace holiday functions
  - Christmas jingles and saccharin holiday TV movies
  - Neighbours’ light displays that are so bright you have trouble finding your own house
  - Cutesy decorations, cheap garland, singing stuffed santas, etc.

Do you enjoy the Christmas season?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20260
Joined  11-03-2007

17 December 2016 16:42

I enjoy it.  It’s one of my favorite times of the year.  Sure, there are stresses, but that’s common throughout.  I like the lights, the cooler weather, the songs, the gift tradition, the food, pretty much all of it.  I’m also looking forward to taking some time off between Christmas and New Years and going to Miami Beach and Key West.  Gonna see the Everglades for the first time, and drive over the sea to Key West.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

17 December 2016 16:54

EN - 17 December 2016 04:42 PM

I enjoy it.  It’s one of my favorite times of the year.  Sure, there are stresses, but that’s common throughout.  I like the lights, the cooler weather, the songs, the gift tradition, the food, pretty much all of it.  I’m also looking forward to taking some time off between Christmas and New Years and going to Miami Beach and Key West.  Gonna see the Everglades for the first time, and drive over the sea to Key West.

I’m glad you enjoy it.  It sounds like a great plan for your holidays.  My best wishes to you.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16306
Joined  15-02-2008

17 December 2016 23:55

I enjoy aspects of it. I try to keep it secular and celebrate it as solstice but with kids it’s harder as most all their friends do it as religious. My daughter is 12 and this year she gave me a gift and wrote me a card that said Happy Solstice, I was very moved by that.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4834
Joined  19-08-2010

18 December 2016 02:48

Don’t like… can’t talk… too stressed… too much too soon.

And breathe.

I actually try not to get too involved, not because of any belief or lack there of, the whole thing is too bright and loud and busy, it actually has an effect on my mental health if I think about it all too much. Much easier for me to disengage for a while and join the rest of society again later down the line.

Merry Christmas. smile

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 December 2016 07:06

GAD - 17 December 2016 11:55 PM

I enjoy aspects of it. I try to keep it secular and celebrate it as solstice but with kids it’s harder as most all their friends do it as religious. My daughter is 12 and this year she gave me a gift and wrote me a card that said Happy Solstice, I was very moved by that.

I think it’s more fun when there are still young children around.  Your daughter sounds very sweet.
Where I live, the religious aspects of Christmas seem to be less than when I was young.  Many young children aren’t taught the origins of Christmas – they just think it’s all about Santa.

If I had my way, there wouldn’t be a religious-based holiday in December (when travel can be dangerous).  However, there should be a yearly holiday, maybe something to do with nature such as harvest time, in which there is time for families to travel and celebrate together.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 December 2016 07:09

MARTIN_UK - 18 December 2016 02:48 AM

Don’t like… can’t talk… too stressed… too much too soon.

And breathe.

I actually try not to get too involved, not because of any belief or lack there of, the whole thing is too bright and loud and busy, it actually has an effect on my mental health if I think about it all too much. Much easier for me to disengage for a while and join the rest of society again later down the line.

Merry Christmas. smile

I feel the same way – it’s all just too much for too long.  I get very stressed and sad at Christmas, missing loved ones who are no longer here.  I try to avoid as much as I can, but there is such social pressure to enjoy Christmas and I don’t want to put a damper on others’ fun.  I just do the minimum that can still be enjoyed (gift giving, the day’s dinner with family).  Looking forward to January when it’ll all be over.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8973
Joined  20-10-2006

18 December 2016 07:29

I like the lights and colorful, sparkly decorations, and the greeting cards, but can do without the rest of it.  For years before I married and had kids I hardly noticed Christmas, probably because I don’t watch TV, and didn’t feel a need or desire to join the festivities.  Once during my single days I put lights in the windows and liked it so much that they stayed up for three years.  During that time I decided to decorate the patio with outdoor string lights for a party I hosted in July, and the only place I could find Christmas lights then was Berkeley Ace Hardware, and they seemed proud of that.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 December 2016 07:38

Skipshot - 18 December 2016 07:29 AM

I like the lights and colorful, sparkly decorations, and the greeting cards, but can do without the rest of it.  For years before I married and had kids I hardly noticed Christmas, probably because I don’t watch TV, and didn’t feel a need or desire to join the festivities.  Once during my single days I put lights in the windows and liked it so much that they stayed up for three years.  During that time I decided to decorate the patio with outdoor string lights for a party I hosted in July, and the only place I could find Christmas lights then was Berkeley Ace Hardware, and they seemed proud of that.

Yes, some lights can be quite pretty.

For the sake of the neighbours, try to watch out that you don’t develop that particular addiction where it gets bigger-and-bigger each year until your house can be seen from outer space.  grin

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5967
Joined  31-01-2012

18 December 2016 07:40

I like the time off from work and the lights

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

18 December 2016 07:41

Christmas and Hanukah are great times of the year.  We do everything but the religious stuff.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 December 2016 07:55

jdrnd - 18 December 2016 07:41 AM

Christmas and Hanukah are great times of the year.  We do everything but the religious stuff.

Happy Hanukkah, Jeff.
Jan

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 December 2016 08:04

Jb8989 - 18 December 2016 07:40 AM

Yes, it is nice to get some time off.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 December 2016 08:17

Jan_CAN - 18 December 2016 07:55 AM
jdrnd - 18 December 2016 07:41 AM

Happy Hanukkah, Jeff.
Jan

Same to you!

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 December 2016 08:19

Jb8989 - 18 December 2016 07:40 AM

...but don’t like the mess Santa makes.

There is usually ashes all over the floor in front of the fireplace on Christmas day.  He should clean up his mess.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 December 2016 08:21

of course the ashes could be due to the squirrels that live in the chimney. 
Its the only time of the year that we use the fireplace and open the flu.

1 2 3 >  Last ›