Total Posts:  17728
Joined  15-02-2008

09 February 2017 08:52

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

09 February 2017 17:21

I hate to say it, but that’s my favorite Trek too.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

09 February 2017 17:34

SkepticX - 09 February 2017 05:21 PM

I hate to say it, but that’s my favorite Trek too.

Be proud! I loved TNG but DS9 really was the best.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  26-03-2013

09 February 2017 18:28

I’ve only seen a few episodes of DS9. When it aired originally I found it was too much like a soap opera, for my taste, and I lacked the commitment it took at the time.  They currently run it in the middle of the night so I sometimes catch it when I’m unable to sleep.  And it’s not bad, I’ll admit.  Now I’ll be thinking of you weirdos while I watch.  At least O’Brien’s in there, eh?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

09 February 2017 19:31

LadyJane - 09 February 2017 06:28 PM

I’ve only seen a few episodes of DS9. When it aired originally I found it was too much like a soap opera, for my taste, and I lacked the commitment it took at the time.  They currently run it in the middle of the night so I sometimes catch it when I’m unable to sleep.  And it’s not bad, I’ll admit.  Now I’ll be thinking of you weirdos while I watch.  At least O’Brien’s in there, eh?

I liked that it was deeper, darker and really serial. Like B5 (my other favorite show) DS9 was at the center and the whole universe was revolving around it leading to lots of great stories. It was like a Game of Thrones in space.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

09 February 2017 20:00

I thought TNG got pretty soap opera-ish, and DS9 did at times, particularly with Worf and Dax (ended up having to mercy kill the Jadzia Dax character for the sake of Worf—that was hard to watch). That just seems to have become the nature of the beast—I mean TV series of that era in general, unfortunately. Could just have been SciFi shows I guess.

I should also qualify my previous comment that DS9 is my favorite Trek. I think it is the best show in terms of the staff of writers and directors and the characters and cast members and all, but I grew up on the original (including the cartoons), so I couldn’t shake that deeply comfortable and satisfying sense of nostalgia if I wanted to—it played a major role in shaping me (along with Kung Fu and a few other ‘70s shows). I’d still say DS9 is the best Star Trek series (followed by Enterprise, except for that truly horrible and inappropriate opening theme song), but ... well, I own all of the original series stuff on DVD, but currently aside from that only two seasons each of DS9 and Enterprise, and the Q TNG episode collection (although I expect that within 5-10 years I’ll have picked up all of the Trek series).

So I guess while I think DS9 is the best Star Trek series, the original has far too much of my family and personal history, and a significant chunk of my early development tied into it to call any other my favorite. Star Trek and I were “born” just shy of three months apart. I was born that June, my wife that August, then Star Trek first aired in early September (Super Bowl I was played the following January, Kung Fu came along in ‘72). The Star Trek cartoons first aired in ‘73, and of course Star Wars hit the theaters like a disjointed human tidal wave in the late Spring of ‘77. Damn that was a helluva run! ... and aside from all that I think it was also a much better world to grow up in than most of what’s followed, sadly.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6389
Joined  22-02-2005

09 February 2017 21:37

Somebody pushed my Star Trek button…

IMHO…
DS9 is the best of the Rick Berman-produced Treks. Its best episode is its two-part pilot. Seasons 4, 5 and 6 really had legs. The 7th season is a dreadful wreck. O’Brien was the most engaging character. There was always two episodes a season where something awful happens to him. He bore it well. Miles and Keiko were the worst TV couple in the history of TV couples. Terry Farrel is under-rated. Whorf was turning into Tinkerbell on TNG, DS9 let Klingons be Klingons thanks to producer Rene Encharvaria. The finale was unforgivably bad.

Religion, spirits, magic words and supreme beings were very un-Roddenberry-like. Sisko becomes a magic spirit? Still, compared to Voyager‘s tella-tubbies characters and tiresome Doctor-centered episodes, DS9 was more thoughtful, semi-intelligent and had more meat and potatoes to digest.

TNG first appeared in a milky gamma-lightened TV format that made the ship look like a hotel lobby. I remember wanting the show to die after the first season. It got better. The show was reissued as originally photographed and is worth yet another look in HD.

Enterprise re-runs now appear with ‘Star Trek’ in its title. Blalock was the second-best Vulcan ever. Paramount insisted that her shirt come off at least once per episode. Archer’s earlier ‘Gomer Pyle in space’ portrayal was more FUN than the later over-the-top bad-ass of the 3rd and 4th seasons.

I am, at heart, a Star Trek originalist. The whole series was recently rebuilt from its RGB negatives with all new CGI effects. It is very satisfying to see for an old fan. HD lifts these characters back out of the cartoonie reputation they suffered for so long in grainy chopped-up time-compressed incarnations. Shatner did a fantastic job with Kirk.

Sci-fi was puppet shows like Fireball XL5 when Trek came along. I think I was eight. Trek led me into reading science and sci-fi.

I agree with Mr. GAD about Babylon 5. I recommend the wide-screen version. The show was separately filmed in both 4:3 and 16:9 with slight differences in many scenes. Londo and G’Kar’s evoling relationship is one of the most compelling duets in all of TV. The Shadow War idea is just brilliant.

I’ll stop now.

[ Edited: 09 February 2017 21:39 by Nhoj Morley]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

09 February 2017 22:13

I am all mushy with the passion here for great sci-fi.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

10 February 2017 07:29

I love all the Star Trek series and it would be difficult to choose a favourite – I have favourite episodes from all of the series.  One of my favourite DS9 episodes is “Trials and Tribble-ations” which is a ‘merging’ with the original series episode “The Trouble with Tribbles”.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  26-03-2013

10 February 2017 08:01

Well my interest is decidedly piqued.  And now includes Babylon 5.  I think there is more to the draw of these science fiction stories than merely entertainment.  They serve as a replacement for religious notions, in many ways, and we reach a sort of satisfaction by finding order in the chaos.  We become attached to them.  The characters and sound effects and theme songs.  It provides a sense of comfort and demonstrates morality in a way that appeals to everyone.  Through logic and protocol rather than force.  Where space lends itself the opportunity for feuding parties to reach an understanding.  There is more exploration going on than meets the eye where lessons are learned and patterns are made.  Navigating the dangers, while honouring the Prime Directive, and not to getting overly attached to unfamiliar faces in red shirts.  As the technology improved, over the years, so did the roles for women.  Doctor Crusher and Captain Janeway.  The original series is fantastic in its simplicity, with each episode unfolding like a stage play, perfectly suited for the over-the-top style of Shatner.  You’ve gotta love how a gentle karate chop to the middle of the back causes an individual to lose consciousness.  That’s comedy gold.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

10 February 2017 09:21

Since we’re getting all mushy, this might be a good time to share the Morley Xmas Crèche.

Image Attachments

chrece_b1.jpg

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

10 February 2017 09:28

Nhoj Morley - 10 February 2017 09:21 AM

Since we’re getting all mushy, this might be a good time to share the Morley Xmas Crèche.

Awesomeness! I’m teary eyed.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

10 February 2017 22:20

Another household shrine…

There is a local craftsman who works with old railroad spikes. This is Railroad Spike Doctor Who (4th) with matching Tardis also crafted in metal. This was a b-day present from my daughter. Very special.

Image Attachments

dr_who_A.jpg

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 February 2017 01:11

Nhoj Morley - 10 February 2017 10:20 PM

There is a local craftsman who works with old railroad spikes. This is Railroad Spike Doctor Who (4th) with matching Tardis also crafted in metal. This was a b-day present from my daughter. Very special.

Your toys are way cooler then mine, I’m jelly.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  19-08-2010

11 February 2017 09:49

Nhoj Morley - 10 February 2017 10:20 PM

The Doctor, now you’re talking. With Peter Capaldi set to move on, who will replace him I wonder.

I also prefered DS9, I’m sure it was that delicately spotted Jadzia Dax that kept me… erm… interested.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

11 February 2017 10:47

Sad. I enjoy having a current Doctor that is my age for once. The last season was impressive, especially the one about the relocated Zygon refugees.
I wanted to see Capaldi play the role for 5 to 7 years at least. But then, I’m not doing all the running about.

Trek documentaries are a blast. The Spock doc was fascinating. Tis worth mentioning that this DS9 thing is in progress and not yet available.

1 2 3 >  Last ›