‹ First  < 2 3 4

The best Trek gets some love

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17629
Joined  15-02-2008

02 September 2017 11:38

LadyJane - 02 September 2017 10:37 AM

As luck would have it the Space Channel has been running episodes of Deep Space Nine and needless to say I was eagerly on board.  I’ve watched the Original Star Trek, The Next Generation, Voyager and (some) Enterprise so it wasn’t completely unfamiliar territory. 

Several comments came to mind but this latest episode compelled me to post. 

What immediately occurred to me, upon entering the series, was how cool Bajoran chicks are.  Fer starters.  Feisty.  I always liked Ensign Ro and Kira does not disappoint.  All that experience as a revolutionary, I’m guessing.  (She is carrying Keiko and O’Briens child at this stage of the game.)  And, much to my surprise, Quark is among my favourites, despite the fact he’s a Capitalist Pigdog (Ptew!).  I think it’s because he is unabashedly honest about it.  And it makes me laugh out loud.  Like Q.  Was Rom dropped on his head as a tyke?  Good Grief.  (Reminds me of a former boyfriend.  Dumb as a rock but he could sing like Eddie Vedder.)  And, wouldn’t you know it, Andrea Martin is their mother.  Edith Prickly.  Moogie!  You just can’t make shit like this up.  I also enjoy the endless diversity of species to be found and the constant homages to fellow franchise episodes.  Delightful.

Okay, back to my original point.  In a spectacular display of co-ordination they managed to enmesh the characters of DS9 into the crew of the Original Starship Enterprise in a moment of creative time travelling genius.  In the incomparable episode entitled Trials and Tribble-ations. 

Oh, aye.  Pure Unadulterated Awesomeness.

DS9 is my favorite, a little darker and less preachy. Like B5 or SG, DS9 is a galactic crossroads which are great platforms for endless stories.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3425
Joined  21-10-2016

02 September 2017 13:02

LadyJane - 02 September 2017 10:37 AM

As luck would have it the Space Channel has been running episodes of Deep Space Nine and needless to say I was eagerly on board.  I’ve watched the Original Star Trek, The Next Generation, Voyager and (some) Enterprise so it wasn’t completely unfamiliar territory. 

Several comments came to mind but this latest episode compelled me to post. 

What immediately occurred to me, upon entering the series, was how cool Bajoran chicks are.  Fer starters.  Feisty.  I always liked Ensign Ro and Kira does not disappoint.  All that experience as a revolutionary, I’m guessing.  (She is carrying Keiko and O’Briens child at this stage of the game.)  And, much to my surprise, Quark is among my favourites, despite the fact he’s a Capitalist Pigdog (Ptew!).  I think it’s because he is unabashedly honest about it.  And it makes me laugh out loud.  Like Q.  Was Rom dropped on his head as a tyke?  Good Grief.  (Reminds me of a former boyfriend.  Dumb as a rock but he could sing like Eddie Vedder.)  And, wouldn’t you know it, Andrea Martin is their mother.  Edith Prickly.  Moogie!  You just can’t make shit like this up.  I also enjoy the endless diversity of species to be found and the constant homages to fellow franchise episodes.  Delightful.

Okay, back to my original point.  In a spectacular display of co-ordination they managed to enmesh the characters of DS9 into the crew of the Original Starship Enterprise in a moment of creative time travelling genius.  In the incomparable episode entitled Trials and Tribble-ations. 

Oh, aye.  Pure Unadulterated Awesomeness.

Totally agree – love DS9.  Great characters and some very interesting story lines.  When this OP first started, Trials and Tribble-ations was the episode that immediately came to my mind as a favourite (post #8).  I hadn’t seen this series for a long time, but have also been watching it on the Space Channel.  They’re even better the second time around!

The story line where Kira is carrying the O’Brien’s child was an ingenious way to incorporate the actress’ (Nana Visitor) real-life pregnancy into the story without having to transform the character into a mother later.  Also, Nana Visitor was married to Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir) at the time.

Yes, pure awesomeness.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

03 September 2017 17:57

The tribble episode was ingenuously designed. It was William Shallert’s second appearance on DS9 and Whit Bissel’s first. The show was at its best then. Beware of the seventh season.

Bashir is Malcolm McDowell’s cousin.

‹ First  < 2 3 4