1 2 > 

Waking Up: Tingling In My Face During Meditation

Steve88

Steve88
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-02-2017

11 February 2017 00:35

I have recently started reading Waking Up and have been meditating before going to bed for the past couple of nights. I have been experiencing a very strong sensation of tingling in my face, extending from my forehead and into my cheeks. The tingling takes about ten to fifteen minutes to subside after finishing meditation. Does anyone know exactly what is going on here??

I have done some google searches and come up with nothing but nonsense. I am trying to avoid something like, “your third eye just needs eye drops” or simply “energy”.

Thanks again in advance.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

11 February 2017 06:25

Steve88 - 11 February 2017 12:35 AM

I have recently started reading Waking Up and have been meditating before going to bed for the past couple of nights. I have been experiencing a very strong sensation of tingling in my face, extending from my forehead and into my cheeks. The tingling takes about ten to fifteen minutes to subside after finishing meditation. Does anyone know exactly what is going on here??

I have done some google searches and come up with nothing but nonsense. I am trying to avoid something like, “your third eye just needs eye drops” or simply “energy”.

Thanks again in advance.

Suggest visiting a physician.  Was told this is too succinct, but if these are “strong sensation of tingling” in your face, and if they continue, they might reflect something having nothing to do with meditation. No one here can provide any medical diagnosis.  Anyway, best wishes with meditation.

[ Edited: 11 February 2017 12:20 by Dennis Campbell]

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

11 February 2017 06:42

I have been experiencing a very strong sensation of tingling in my face, extending from my forehead and into my cheeks. The tingling takes about ten to fifteen minutes to subside after finishing meditation.

Uh oh!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

11 February 2017 07:28

Greetings, Mr. 88.

We don’t have a lot of meditators here on the forum. Perhaps there is tension in your face that meditation relieves and the tingle is restored blood flow. Just a guess.

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

11 February 2017 08:16

You can feel all kinds of weird things during meditation. Sometimes your hands will feel huge (kinda like the way your lip would feel huge when they gave out old school novocaine shots at the dentist, if you remember those,) sometimes tingling, sometimes feeling like you are leaning waaaaay over when you’re not, etc.

Of course I feel like I should give many obligatory disclaimers about seeing your doctor if you have any concerns about anything ever including the weather, but any feedback I’ve gotten from meditation teachers is that this is normal and to be expected.

Steve88

Steve88
Joined  11-02-2017

11 February 2017 21:16

Dennis Campbell - 11 February 2017 06:25 AM

Thanks again in advance.

Suggest visiting a physician.  Was told this is too succinct, but if these are “strong sensation of tingling” in your face, and if they continue, they might reflect something having nothing to do with meditation. No one here can provide any medical diagnosis.  Anyway, best wishes with meditation.

I wasn’t necessarily asking for a medical diagnosis, but a plausible explanation. Someone else’s personal experience may also be insightful. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Steve88

Steve88
Joined  11-02-2017

11 February 2017 21:29

NL. - 11 February 2017 08:16 AM

You can feel all kinds of weird things during meditation. Sometimes your hands will feel huge (kinda like the way your lip would feel huge when they gave out old school novocaine shots at the dentist, if you remember those,) sometimes tingling, sometimes feeling like you are leaning waaaaay over when you’re not, etc.

Of course I feel like I should give many obligatory disclaimers about seeing your doctor if you have any concerns about anything ever including the weather, but any feedback I’ve gotten from meditation teachers is that this is normal and to be expected.

According to your meditation teachers this is normal, which is interesting but now I just want a scientific answer. If anyone has ideas let me know. Thanks for responding.

sojourner

sojourner
Joined  09-11-2012

11 February 2017 21:52

Steve88 - 11 February 2017 09:29 PM
NL. - 11 February 2017 08:16 AM

According to your meditation teachers this is normal, which is interesting but now I just want a scientific answer. If anyone has ideas let me know. Thanks for responding.

Huh. I mean this in a friendly way, but I can’t tell if you’re being a ‘meditation hypochondriac’ or if I’m just being remarkably uncurious about the sensory world, as I am wont to do. Unless you suspect you have a neurological disorder, is it that big a deal if your face feels kinda tingly sometimes? Why wouldn’t your proprioceptive system react in some way when put into sensory deprivation for the first times? You are changing the kinds of inputs and feedback your body is used to getting rather rapidly. Kind of like if you spent a bunch of time underwater or at a high altitude for the first time/s, wouldn’t you assume that something would shift?

Anyways, good luck on your search. You could try Googling sensory deprivation, there’s probably more data for that. If you think it’s a medical problem with circulation or some such thing, definitely go see a doctor.

sojourner

sojourner
Joined  09-11-2012

11 February 2017 22:07

PS… I Googled it out of curiosity. While it’s a maybe maybe-not fringe idea (could be an unusual quirk like synesthesia or just an out there idea,) what you’re describing sounds similar to what some call autonomous sensory meridian response. Also looks like simply sitting still for too long can bring on a kind of neuropathy in some people.

But again, I feel like I’m spinning sideways half the time in meditation and assume this is just a result of sitting with my eyes closed for an extended period, like spatial disorientation. I assume your brain gets bored and a bit disoriented without the usual organizing stimuli after awhile.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

12 February 2017 11:57

NL. - 11 February 2017 10:07 PM

sounds similar to what some call autonomous sensory meridian response.

NO NO NO
I think its an atypical case of Unvericht Lundborg disease.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

12 February 2017 11:59

Unvericht Lundborg disease is characterized
as myoclonic seizures in a mentally retarded infant.
So you are not an infant, you are not mentally retarded and you are not having seizures,
Therefore its clearly an atypical case.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

12 February 2017 12:03

sorry that’s kind of a neurology joke.
I guess you have to be a neurologist to understand it.

You probably just increased the blood flow to your face….

Changed my mind about this post.
see a doctor

[ Edited: 12 February 2017 12:05 by jdrnd]

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

12 February 2017 12:41

Maybe your face gets kinda tingly other times, but you don’t notice it because you’re concentrating on other stuff.  Might have to do with blood flow affected by posture?

sojourner

sojourner
Joined  09-11-2012

12 February 2017 12:53

It’s funny, now that I think back on it I think Sharon Salzberg has talked about this very kind of thing as an example of ‘wandering mind’ in meditation (can’t keep all my dharma talks straight, I think it was her.) You’re sitting there and you have a very basic physical sensation - your leg hurts, say - and you start spinning into bigger and more elaborate stories until eventually you’re sure your leg has to be amputated! (And, in my mind, I add “and you run screaming off the zafu, going “Aaaaaaa, my leg! Is it falling off?!”, as if this makes perfect sense, ha ha!)

I don’t mean to downplay this if it’s a serious issue. Only you can know that - so please, see a doctor if you think it might be. But also know that not putting a ton of emphasis on every sensation that comes and goes, or ‘riding the train of thought’ that arises from it, is also part of meditation. One that I am horrible at, btw, so not like I’m judging. Just thought this might be helpful to know.

sojourner

sojourner
Joined  09-11-2012

12 February 2017 12:57

jdrnd - 12 February 2017 11:59 AM

Unvericht Lundborg disease is characterized
as myoclonic seizures in a mentally retarded infant.
So you are not an infant, you are not mentally retarded and you are not having seizures,
Therefore its clearly an atypical case.

You take nerd jokes to new levels, ha ha!

I feel like this is ending up the way it ends up anytime you (ok, maybe not ‘you’, but non-doctors and nurses) try to find medical information online, and conclude that the only explanation is that your hiccups or sore throat mean you are going to die. In the next five minutes. Damn you WebMD!!

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

12 February 2017 16:14

Nhoj Morley - 11 February 2017 07:28 AM

Greetings, Mr. 88.

We don’t have a lot of meditators here on the forum. Perhaps there is tension in your face that meditation relieves and the tingle is restored blood flow. Just a guess.

I’m not sure that’s a meditation issue. Sounds more like a medical issue to me—likely an innocuous one, but I’m not aware of this as a meditation thing. Of course I’m far from an expert. I imagine a kind of dissociation might occur following meditation for many people, but “tingling” sounds more like a blood supply thing, maybe related to posture.

1 2 >