< 1 2

Dark matter is missing from young galaxies

Rick Robson

Rick Robson
Total Posts:  40
Joined  22-09-2017

28 September 2017 22:59

hmmm…. Jennifer Senior is a writer - mostly about politics, social science, and mental health -, ...and that’s all.

Rick Robson

Rick Robson
Joined  22-09-2017

23 December 2017 09:30

Giulio - 28 September 2017 01:44 PM
Rick Robson - 22 September 2017 03:06 PM

Kip Thorne (started by John Wheeler on the revolutionary Black Holes and Quantum Mechanics era) , Rai Weiss and Ron Drever have recently proven the existence of gravitons, as well as the existence of the gravitational waves. They also managed to detect big galaxies huge collisions generating the biggest black holes ever, which seem to be ever increasing in size at some point in our Universe…
I strongly recommend reading the book ‘Black Hole Blues and Other Songs from Outer Space’ by the American Janna Levin, who is physics and astronomy teacher at the Columbia University, as well as science director of the Pioneer Works in Brooklyn, NYC. 

I was thinking of buying it but was put off by this book review

So please let me know if I get this straight;  the Nobel Prizes they were given this year mean nothing to you? Or else is it just from what the reviewer that you addressed rather subjectively pointed out about Janna Levin’s (‘lack of’) focus on the relevant aspects of their discovery?

Rick Robson

Rick Robson
Joined  22-09-2017

16 April 2018 07:30
Chaz

Chaz
Total Posts:  129
Joined  24-02-2018

16 April 2018 09:25

I need to point out the lack of understanding gravity when reading the comments here. Einsteins theory of relativity was so ground breaking because it changed the definition completely. Newton proposed gravity as a magnet like force, generated by the earth, pulling us towards it. Einstein was able to prove that was wrong. Gravity as we now understand isn’t earth pulling us down, it’s the universe pushing us down, but even that is difficult to understand by itself. I can help with understanding it by way of analogy. The earth is more like an air bubble floating in water. The water does keep the bubble together, but it’s not squeezing the bubble, the bubble is forcing it’s way through the water. You can take the analogy deeper, but it gets more confusing.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  535
Joined  20-07-2017

23 April 2018 19:09

FWIW I’m pretty sure you guys were referring to Dr. Lisa Randall as the physicist who related the weakness of gravity to extra dimensions.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15209
Joined  17-12-2006

24 April 2018 08:20

Chaz - 16 April 2018 09:25 AM

I need to point out the lack of understanding gravity when reading the comments here. Einsteins theory of relativity was so ground breaking because it changed the definition completely. Newton proposed gravity as a magnet like force, generated by the earth, pulling us towards it. Einstein was able to prove that was wrong. Gravity as we now understand isn’t earth pulling us down, it’s the universe pushing us down, but even that is difficult to understand by itself. I can help with understanding it by way of analogy. The earth is more like an air bubble floating in water. The water does keep the bubble together, but it’s not squeezing the bubble, the bubble is forcing it’s way through the water. You can take the analogy deeper, but it gets more confusing.

You are very confused about this. Einstein did not “prove” that Newton was wrong. And general relativity does not say that gravity is “the universe pushing us down.” Rather, Newton provided a theory of gravity and Einstein gave us a better theory. Theories are not right or wrong, rather they offer explanations that are more or less accurate. And in general relativity gravity is explained as the effect of matter/energy on space-time.

< 1 2