Greetings

astupple

astupple
Total Posts:  2
Joined  31-03-2017

31 March 2017 12:04

I’m a doctor in Boston who’s been looking into explanations of what the hell is going on for my adult life.

I’ve gone through a few phases- new age out of college (devotee of Daniel Quinn), then Carl Sagan and the skeptics, then integral philosophy and Ken Wilber (still a big fan, interested in good critiques), then Nietzsche freak and deep fan of the philosophy of emotion (still powerfully shaped by Robert Solomon), then transhumanist follower of Ray Kurzweil and Aubrey de Grey (aborted because I didn’t like life as a project), most recently a committed Zen and Headless Way practitioner.

Sam Harris initially struck me as someone who just beats up on an easy target, mythic religion. I wrote him off as not being nuanced enough to have any appreciation for spirituality. When I recognized how incredibly wrong I was, I started paying attention.

I joined the forum because I can’t get over how comforting I find it to follow along Harris’s thinking. It reminds me of what it felt like to read Sagan- suddenly, confusion was made clear with the simplest thought experiments and analogies.

No other source comes close to providing clarity of thought and an intolerance of bullshit. I want to draw more from that well, and less from the mess that is journalism today.

Finally, I am considering embarking on a similar quest of Harris’s, but applied to the field of medicine. The magnitude of misinformation wrong belief is staggering. I’ve been working on health reform for many years, and trying intermittently to point at the heart of the problem (that so much of what we do is dogma rather than based on reason). I’m thinking of molding myself on Sam Harris’s approach. I’m certainly eager to learn from anyone in the community who may have some thoughts on creating something functionally equivalent to a Sam Harris for medicine.

Thanks for reading, happy to be a participant.

-Aaron

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

31 March 2017 14:33

Welcome.  Mixed bag here, Jeff is another physician. A couple of attorneys, one math prof, a psychologist…no Sam Harris.  Some very articulate folks, such as Lady Jane, Poldano and others.  A few idiots. Competent admins.  Rx fast scans to identify folks.  A few theistic spammers, not many.

Mr Wayne

Mr Wayne
Total Posts:  761
Joined  01-10-2014

31 March 2017 17:54

Welcome, Doctor!

I ‘m interested in health care reform ideas.  Please, tell us what you think. 
I am a retired chemist ( 27 years managed a small lab for an oilseed mill and extraction plant ) so, I have time to read and think. 

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

31 March 2017 23:28

spirituality, methadone for religion withdraw.

Welcome.