1 2 3 >  Last ›

Brother Mario

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  879
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 06:57

Nhoj has given to me the option of having a single thread where Sam Harris’ posters can enter or not.

He has allowed me to title the thread, so I have, and I made it short and sweet ... or bitter to some of you.

As I understand Nhoj’s dilemma having me, an attack dog for theism, around, I also understand why the posters here refuse to engage me on the level of argument questions about God, faith, reason, truth, etc. demand.

Everyone here knows my position that today’s skeptics are basically lazy agenda-driven thinkers who willfully refuse to listen to any answers that are counterproductive to their agenda.

The same questions are asked over and over again. Nothing changes. Swinging and missing is the norm. No one steps up to the plate and actually hits the damn ball.

Any hope of finding answers that register in a manner where future questions build upon the answers given is lost.

Hoping against hope, I hope this thread will be different.

Please don’t come here to ask lazy questions to promote an agenda, or to read my answers with lazy eyes.

I will provide on this thread the scholastic answers to questions about God, faith, reason, truth, etc., along with my personal answers to such questions.

This mix of scholasticism and my personal thoughts is what you will find here, so expect such things in advance.

I also have a wide variety of interests, from playing the new Zelda game to selling antiques at my booth to writing short stories to painting houses.

So feel free to lighten up the conversation.

I really only talk about God at any length here, for it’s a natural reaction to what I see as atheistic/materialistic secularism bleeding humanity dry.

And, as I have stated in the past, many times, I am not religious but know the importance that religion has played in human history.

Speaking of which ...

Here’s a link to long letter by the Polish pope John Paul II to his bishops that addresses the relationship between faith and reason (thus its title: Fides et Ratio) that this forum seems to be preoccupied with lately.

In this letter you will find the scholastic (i.e, scriptural, theological, & philosophical) answer to this question, which will stand in sharp contrast to the answers given by this forum’s resident theists.

Faith and reason are not polar opposites, but partners in the search for truth, a search that only makes sense if the purpose is to actually find truth at the end of it.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_14091998_fides-et-ratio.html

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6001
Joined  22-02-2005

12 April 2017 07:18

There is no need to be concerned about my dilemmas. Most of them involve industrial tooling these days. I am Mom to two new light fixtures. Dad (the factory) wants to get drunk and shout at them all day. Never mind.

Thankfully, we can all have our own understanding of what this thread is about.

So, get your inquiries about God, faith, reason, truth and etcetera ready. While we still can.

The BM Thread is open!

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 13:23

I see LadyJane bumped my thread here in While We Can with a thread of her own.

I chose this place because it was basically unused, and I didn’t want to run into the same cliché-toting skeptics that post their daily dribbling.

But here she came, clichés and all.

Her persona as a badass lady is laughable. One can only imagine what about her ass is bad.

Her bigoted idea that only a “woo-free zone” is intellectually honest is nonsensical. One can only imagine what about her intellect is honest.

She has invested nothing in theism so it is all “woo” to her, not woo per se. And if she were intellectually honest and intellectually talented she would acknowledge and understand the difference.

And, if she had the balls she thinks she has, she would make her fucktarded insults here.

And, if she had the intellect she thinks she has, she would make her honest arguments here.

But she won’t and she can’t.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

12 April 2017 14:10

Naming a thread after one’s screen name strikes me a narcissistic act suggesting many will give a shit.  Wrong. That said, Joe, what is it you have to offer besides blathering away about your special communicant status with your god?  Apart from house paints.

[ Edited: 12 April 2017 14:25 by Dennis Campbell]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 14:55

Yes, you are wrong, Dennis.

It was you who called himself “brilliant” awhile back in one of your lists. Look it up.

Your psychological ineptitude that makes you believe that a theist who claims a personal relationship with God is a narcissist, while a skeptic who intellectually jerks off in his own head is not one, is as stupid as it is phony.

You are the narcissist.

And you are now suffering from being a life-long narcissist.

You are alone.

You are confused.

You have nothing to offer those around you who need a strong confident man with a true brilliance that lights up the dark days.

You’re a small man, too proud to stand on the shoulders of the giants who went before you, and who stand before you now.

And now you sit with .22 pistol nearby that you think you need to protect you from some unseen enemy.

Perfect love casts out all fear, Dennis.

And the love of God is perfect, for he is everything we could ever hope for.

Whether or not “many will give a shit” about me telling them that they should seek the love of the living God, you wonderful fellow you, is not in your arthritic hands or dull mind.

It’s in their spirits.

Thanks for stopping by to get my offering to you.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1110
Joined  12-07-2016

12 April 2017 15:56

And this is an example of god’s living goodness at work, is it? You? Talking to people like that? This is what your scholarly antics and mystic revelations have produced? A bloke who says mean things on the internet? This is your destiny? This is why God created Life in the first place? I bet He’s bloody thrilled.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2519
Joined  21-10-2016

12 April 2017 15:57

One sure could get tired of the word narcissist.

How about showing us some of that love you speak of, eh?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

12 April 2017 16:43

Ola - 12 April 2017 03:56 PM

And this is an example of god’s living goodness at work, is it? You? Talking to people like that? This is what your scholarly antics and mystic revelations have produced? A bloke who says mean things on the internet? This is your destiny? This is why God created Life in the first place? I bet He’s bloody thrilled.

Best example of the negatives of being a theist we hsve here.  But he denigrates theism so my regrets that he’s provided a platform here. An asshole is an asshole regardless of the pot shat over; not the pot’s fault.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 17:14

Dennis is not being insulted here, but identified.

He himself has written lists of how he is an empty shell and life for him is futility and suffering.

And love is not a will-o’-the-wisp in the darkness but a revealing light as bright as day.

You kiss Dennis’ ass and then call it love.

I’ll tell him the truth and then call it love.

And we’ll see then who is the truly selfless person and who is the phony selfish person looking for lips on her own ass.

Furthermore, I began this thread with the hope of sincere dialogue, and all I got was LadyJane butting in and Dennis being a judgemental asshole.

Gathering together to judge one person harshly while excusing others that they agree with is what true assholes do.

I’m not an asshole at all, not in my business life, family life, personal life, or any life.

I treat everyone exactly the way they should be treated.

If a customer wants a cheap paint job, I tell them to go someplace else.

If a family member makes a poor decision, I tell them to wake up.

If someone does something great, I tell them to keep it up.

Everyone I know respects me because they know what I say is not duplicit.

Not many people live this way because not many people stand up for what is right, but sit down out of fear or stupidity.

So your judgements of what “love” is are meaningless to me, for in my experience most people do not have the courage nor the intelligence to love another person at a cost to themselves.

Dennis doesn’t need another banal nicety, but a bright light to dispel the darkness engulfing him in his waking hours.

Read one of his lists to see who the real asshole is.

And I wrote my response to Dennis before he edited his post with a second sentence asking me, Joe, for some other offering.

So read his first sentence all alone like I did.

[ Edited: 12 April 2017 17:42 by Brother Mario]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 18:00

Speaking of assholes ...

GAD just ridiculed June, who has returned to the forum with a sincere condemnation of atheism and the atheists who promote it.

Here’s his post:

LOL, so reality is to much of a bitch for you so you are running back to your make-believe, misogynistic, racist, sadomasochistic, sky daddy.

Now ...

Jan and Ola, the lovers, are on this thread, well sort of. They are conspicuously ignoring June as they banter back and forth acting all silly.

So let’s see if they show June a little love by confronting GAD, the asshole extraordinaire, or if they keep up their attention-getting silliness.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 April 2017 18:21

Brother Mario - 12 April 2017 06:00 PM

Speaking of assholes ...

GAD just ridiculed June, who has returned to the forum with a sincere condemnation of atheism and the atheists who promote it.

Here’s his post:

LOL, so reality is to much of a bitch for you so you are running back to your make-believe, misogynistic, racist, sadomasochistic, sky daddy.

Now ...

Jan and Ola, the lovers, are on this thread, well sort of. They are conspicuously ignoring June as they banter back and forth acting all silly.

So let’s see if they show June a little love by confronting GAD, the asshole extraordinaire, or if they keep up their attention-getting silliness.

Mario (Joe):  Maybe you should act silly now and again—it’s good for the soul.

June

June
Total Posts:  337
Joined  09-06-2013

12 April 2017 18:39

Brother Mario - 12 April 2017 06:00 PM

Speaking of assholes ...

Here’s his post:

Now ...

But Mario, I do not want or expect love or support from either of them.  I would rather live out my life doing what I believe is the right thing.  It has been one hell of a long journey for me, one I know most if not all of the atheists on this forum have had to consider.  The boasting about how they are so smart and would never have believed…  I’ve lived most of my life, caring about my fellow human, in what I’ve lived in the prism of the “love of Christ.”  I am not ashamed of that now.  That is severely mocked by atheists, and I do not look for spiritual or moral direction from them.  .  I’ve concluded people of faith, mainly the Jewish/Christian faith are the best “specimen” of what a human being can possibly hope for this time period we live in. That may change.  I think atheists are flying without a compass, but unawares.

Not to disregard the fact there are some amazing atheists, I’ve met and learned from.  My God, the sciences. 

But thank you.  You’re tough, and you’ll need that to remain here.

Best of luck or blessings on your fight.  I’ve learned it is not wise to try to take a persons faith away.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 18:51

Yes, Jan, being silly can be fun.

I actually have the reputation in my family of being the funniest, and I am funny constantly.

I know it doesn’t seem that way to you at this moment, but I know I make you chuckle often.

But here’s the thing. Dennis has dedicated himself to bashing theism as a negative psychological phenomena. And he actually believes that he is the person with the answers to life’s big questions. And no amount of personal failures, of which there are many, will deter him from his dedication to psychological nonsense.

Let me provide you with his manifesto posted in 2008 and reposted in 2015.

It’s what I address when I address him, for it is the truth hidden behind the facade.

A Curmudgeon’s Litany

I’ve tried living:  with god, but there isn’t; or without one, but then there’s just me.  With love, but it changes; and lust, but it ends. With reason, but it so cold; or belief, but so insulting.  With women, who can’t be; or without, but that can’t be either. With friends, but they’re demanding; or alone, but no one listens.  With family, but they fight; or without, and they blame.  With dogs, but they shed; or cats, but they’re aloof.  With democrats, too spendy; or Republicans, too greedy.  In mountains, but they’re high; or deserts, too dry.  On seashores, too damp; or islands, too small.  In cities, too crowded; or small towns, too nosy and insulated.  In warm climes, too sweaty; or cold, but I freeze.  As an aesthete, but no toys; or a hedonist, but that bores.  With hooch, but I suffer; without, but I pine.  With smokes, but I gag;  or none, and that sucks.  With computers, so vexing; or without, but what’s left?  As caring, when I don’t; or indifferent, when I’m not.  As educated, but too aware of my ignorance; as wise, but I’m not; or dumb, not that either.  As a teacher, but there’s students who’re not; or a student, but there’s teachers who don’t. As a psychologist, who’s puzzled; a humanist, but there’s people. As a cynic, with ideals persisting; an optimist, but disappointments abound.  As decisive, while beset with doubts; accommodating, while having strong opinions.  With debaters contentious; and haters pretentious. As a rationalist, while driven by irrationality; a reasonable person, when hormones rage.  As rejecting of politicians, while they’re just reflecting those who elected them. As someone who tries not to disappoint, while not expecting enough to be disappointed.  With a father, not dead; but no longer alive; a mother, whose world is always herself, as she condemns all not adoring. As possibly an unclaimed father, with a lover long silent.  As a skeptic, while envying the expressed certainty of true believers; and an atheist, absent a sense of immortal significance.  As a self-confident person, beset with knowledge of personal limitations.  As a person interested in new ideas and technology, while being comfortable with existing ideas and things; as open to change, but reluctant to abandon familiar habits and thoughts.  As intolerant of belief-based intolerance, while not always liking different mores and practices.  As a person living with others, but mostly apart from them; as alone within myself, but not always liking that.  As someone with no love of humanity, but no hatred either; a person who’s studied stars, and realizes humanities’ insignificance, except to itself.  As someone who has a sense of spirit or mind that seems to transcend physiology, while believing that sense vanishes with an end to physiology.  As someone who insists on his own apprehensions, discomforting as they are, rather than be subsumed by those of others promising a mythical eternity, with no more basis than assertion, and no more requirement that a frontal lobotomy.  As someone who’s a willing host to small, furry parasites, with no apologies for the implied idiocy in return for a sense of companionship and affection.  As someone who is nothing, even sentient, without others with whom to have intercourse, but who is also a requisite for others to be sentient; a most confusing contradiction.  As a person both developing and devolving, with an end in proximate realization; and an end both feared and welcomed.

As someone increasingly tired of living, but not yet sufficiently interested in being dead.

Dennis

11/09/08

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 19:26

Hi, June.

You’re at this place in your life because of who you are, not because of this person or that who happened to stop by.

But in saying this, take the time to read the letter of John Paul II I posted a link to above. Read a comprehensive step by step apologetic for how faith and reason join together to give to us a certitude of the truth. You will find in this letter an apt description of why today there is the atheistic thinking you now cannot support as good and true.

And “science” is not something that is atheistic, for every scientific discovery opens up more insights into God’s greatness, not into a mindless nature not needing an intelligent God.

Remember, it was a Catholic priest who was the scientist that discovered the Big Bang.

And the Vatican has a respected observatory.

Take care and keep fighting, for it is a fight.

As Einstein said:

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 April 2017 20:12

Brother Mario - 12 April 2017 06:51 PM

Yes, Jan, being silly can be fun.

I actually have the reputation in my family of being the funniest, and I am funny constantly.

I know it doesn’t seem that way to you at this moment, but I know I make you chuckle often.

But here’s the thing. Dennis has dedicated himself to bashing theism as a negative psychological phenomena. And he actually believes that he is the person with the answers to life’s big questions. And no amount of personal failures, of which there are many, will deter him from his dedication to psychological nonsense.

Let me provide you with his manifesto posted in 2008 and reposted in 2015.

It’s what I address when I address him, for it is the truth hidden behind the facade.

Glad to hear that you can be silly and funny, and yes, you have made me chuckle.  You have indicated that you like directness and honesty, so here goes:  You have pissed me off at the way you so often put people down in what seems to be quite a mean-spirited way.  You are obviously intelligent, so I don’t know how or if you think this would ever win anyone over to your way of thinking.  Is it just some kind of game?  I know that I don’t understand much of what’s going on here between you and the other members, but it doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere.  Agreeing to disagree is one thing, but obviously that’s not what’s going on.  Reading between-the-lines, I have sensed that there is probably a decent man behind all of your rhetoric, but it is difficult to sift through.  Be honest – does what you write here truly reflect who you are?

I had not yet seen Dennis’ “A Curmudgeon’s Litany”—it only makes me like him more.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

12 April 2017 21:07

Jan, if my goal was to win over a person like Dennis, or you for that matter, then I would use my graduate degreee in writing and write a dissertation.

No. My goal, as I have stipulated many times, probably before you came around, is to tell the truth that I know with certainty through experience.

And I also know with certainty that my fight is not with persons who call themselves atheists but with principalities and powers who move atheists around like pawns.

You are a modern thinker who has abandoned the past out of a empty lust for the newfangled that pleases you superficially. This is why you enjoyed Dennis’ empty manifesto filled with nothingness.

I can tell you with absolute certitude that the devil and his minions you have heard about and think are only some psychological phenomena are actual beings manipulating us through clever schemes. And it is these beings who laugh at their atheist pawns when they gather together to flatter each other for not believing in God ... and them.

It is a spiritual battle I fight, not an intellectual one.

I don’t expect you or Dennis to change your minds, for I know you never will.

What I expect is the devil and his minions to become agitated and then show their hands.

What I expect is the Holy Spirit within you to stir and give to you the power to fight back against the worst these demons are suffering upon you.

So, do not think that you are the measure of what I am accomplishing here.

Just keep doing the superficial things most people do, for that is your lot.

I’ll do the job I was given forty years ago.

If that’s okay with you.

[ Edited: 12 April 2017 21:12 by Brother Mario]

1 2 3 >  Last ›