‹ First  < 83 84 85

Brother Mario

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9233
Joined  29-01-2010

13 April 2018 09:50

Listened to the Podcast.  I enjoyed it.  I apologize to Nhoj because I thought he was mocking Mario, which I found unpleasant because he offered to be on his podcast and he is the host, both in and out of his studio.  But, now, I think his intention was to present Mario to Libertarian because it was a pretty good conversation and Mario defended his position well, as did Nhoj.  So, I have decided to assume that Nhoj was not being snarky.

As for the content of this particular podcast, I found myself agreeing with both of them.  This is because I tend to be a person who swims in circles, but also because I don’t think many things are either/or.

I certainly agree with Mario that his radical spiritual experiences may have possibly been an expression of God’s grace because I am a mysticism-freak.  Is every person who has had such experiences delusional?  I don’t know.  Certainly many are, but others seem, at least before their revelations, rather stable people.  One of our posters whose name i have forgotten other that “Owl Guy” strikes me as fairly solid, emotionally.  But, since I don’t know him, he may, in reality, be loopy.

However, I also agree with Nhoj.  Mystical experiences certainly occur in specific cultural settings to people who have a particular mindset, temperament, and possess differing ranges of perception.

As an example, I would be more impressed if Mario experienced Krishna as the living God and Mario had the temperament of an accountant.  Because he had such a raucous life style prior to his religious conversion, I suspect he was rather high-spirited in his youth

So to summarize, Nhoj and Mario may both be correct, which makes sense to me because, if anything, the reality of reality is puzzling indeed. and all of us “see through a glass darkly”

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5754
Joined  22-02-2005

13 April 2018 10:24

saralynn - 13 April 2018 09:50 AM

...I have decided to assume that Nhoj was not being snarky.

Correct. I’m glad you enjoyed the show.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  943
Joined  31-10-2015

13 April 2018 12:17

Brother Mario - 12 April 2018 06:18 PM

You mean “confusing” question.

And what I meant by it is that only a fool thinks he can walk into any room full of people and join in every conversation.

And the biggest fool of all thinks he can teach people about things he doesn’t even know himself.

Sorry—still too many unattributable abstractions for me to crunch, Mario. I’m anything but a social butterfly. Nice try, though!

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  943
Joined  31-10-2015

13 April 2018 12:20

saralynn - 13 April 2018 09:50 AM

Listened to the Podcast.  I enjoyed it.  I apologize to Nhoj because I thought he was mocking Mario, which I found unpleasant because he offered to be on his podcast and he is the host, both in and out of his studio.  But, now, I think his intention was to present Mario to Libertarian because it was a pretty good conversation and Mario defended his position well, as did Nhoj.  So, I have decided to assume that Nhoj was not being snarky. . . .

. . .

What an honor it must be for Nhoj to hear this from you, Saralynn. I’m guessing he’d been worrying about how morally proper he seems to be! (Good Lord)

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

13 April 2018 15:21

What an honor it must be for Nhoj to hear this from you, Saralynn. I’m guessing he’d been worrying about how morally proper he seems to be! (Good Lord)

Lighten up, nonverbal.  It was an observation of my observation, which I concluded was unjust and explained why. 

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5754
Joined  22-02-2005

13 April 2018 18:04

Yeah, that’s me. Nudge Moraley

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

14 April 2018 07:27

Nhoj Morley - 13 April 2018 06:04 PM

Yeah, that’s me. Nudge Moraley

At least you aren’t “Will Not Budge Moraley”

[ Edited: 15 April 2018 12:17 by saralynn]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  634
Joined  26-02-2017

16 April 2018 06:50

For The Walking Dead fans—my theory is that Eugene is making bogus bullets, so when Negan corners Rick his guns will misfire. That is why Eugene gave a gun to Negan to test with good bullets, and why he had to escape from Daryl to get back to finishing his plan. Eugene is just being too bad for his personality, so I think he’s acting. Why all the hate for Rick and company? Doesn’t make sense.

And I haven’t read the comics, so don’t ruin it for me if you have.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

16 April 2018 10:07

Just watched the last episode on my DVR. I was right about Eugene. Now I’m gonna predict that Negan becomes a good guy next season.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

17 April 2018 20:00

Did the New Forum Guidelines become all about whether or not I should be banned?

I’m confused as to what that thread is all about.

Maybe I shouldn’t have read LadyJane’s diatribes bemoaning the ... a ... er ... I don’t know what the fuck she was bemoaning. I think she just wants more people here to smoke weed and make shit up.

Dennis came back a couple of times just to make more attempts to get me out of here. How fucking weird is that? I guess he’s still sitting there with a loaded pistol waiting for a religious person to knock on his door, and since no one is showing up he needs me to point his pistol at. Good ol’ Dennis ... what a sweet guy.

Anyway ...

What’s it all about, Morley?

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

19 April 2018 06:58

Let’s see ...

I have only one thread to write in, yet that is not good enough for Dennis, Owl Guy, Jefe, and EN.

These dashing fellows are just too fabulous for the likes of me. Just me being around is a total letdown to their incredible contributions around here.

The depressing lists by Dennis, the completely opinionated and philosophically inept watering down of God to nature by Owl Guy, the I can’t remember a damn thing he has written by Jefe, and the I’ll kiss anybody’s ass if you put it in front of me by EN—these are the posts that will make this forum worth reading and safeguard its longevity.

Didn’t Dennis and EN go off on their own to create a forum because they bought in to the hype around here that they were legendary posters writing brilliant stuff? And didn’t that forum end up dead on arrival? I actually showed up and was instantly booted off. I’m not saying there was a correlation, but ... actually, yes, I’m saying there was a correlation. You can’t play handball without a wall. Two people facing each other and bouncing the ball to each other isn’t an actual sport. More has to go into it to become a sport. And this forum has survived because more has gone into it than these four handsome fellows yanking their own chains.

Here’s a thing:

When you log in, observe what happens next. Observe where your interest gravitates towards, for this is what will make this forum more interesting. Of course, a good conversation you are having will be first. But then where will you go?

Okay, you can go to other threads now.

[ Edited: 19 April 2018 12:09 by Brother Mario]

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

19 April 2018 11:15

Quickly read the other thread and apparently no one likes my “like it or leave it” attitude, but I am sticking to it.

Atheists, famous and otherwise, have been condescending, argumentative, and vocal about their distaste for religion, except the vaporous kind.  Some (not all)  members of this forum are like that.  A theist comes in and is ridiculed, called pathetic, delusional, and, basically a dunderhead. which are personal attacks, indeed. 

I have shuddered a few times when a newbie, usually a Christian, has tried to have a sincere conversation with people on the Forum and has been treated with disrespect and hostility.

I understand the atheist’s motives.  They believe religion is stupid and destructive and they feel like heroic defenders of their worldview.  Perhaps they assume that it is their moral duty to expose religion for what it is.  They stoop to the personal insults and few are reprimanded by our administrators.

Now, Mario is a passionate defender of his faith, except he uses more brazen attacks on particular atheists, primarily because he, from his worldview, see them as stupid and destructive and he feels like it is his moral duty to expose atheism for what it is.

He knows a lot about theology and his personal history is relevant.  He is educated, articulate, and a fighter, and can “take on” any opponent.

Having said this, I am aware of his many character flaws, grandiosity, and a vicious streak, which, incidentally, is often right on target when he directs it at specific poster’s vulnerabilities.  Sometimes he misses and his arrow flies into the bushes, but, quite frequently, his caricature of a poster seems to come very close to the reality they project on the Forum, at least from my perspective. Sometimes that person is me.

I think that may be a contributing factor to his widespread hostility.  Not sure, but it is a possibility

Yes, he is frustrating and boorish, but this forum needs him, for the reasons I have stated.  He is restricted, so I can’t see what damage he can do.  Theists may be as gratified by his presence as much as atheists are sickened by it.

Since it is such a significant controversy in the minds of some people (it has been discussed dozens of times), perhaps our leader, Mr Sam Harris, should be the judge.  After all, it’s his website, right?  I should point out, if he reads the forum ( which he may not because he is a busy man) he has, thus far, expressed no disapproval of Mario’s posts because if he did, I assume he would let our Admins be aware of the fact.

[ Edited: 19 April 2018 11:21 by saralynn]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

20 April 2018 16:18

saralynn, my insulting posts are “character flaws” only if the persons I am insulting don’t need to be insulted, and I am insulting them simply because I like being an asshole.

However ...

When a person calls himself a “Christian”, and then tells vocal atheists claiming to be the keepers of reason that he has learned so much from them because Christianity is just a matter of “faith” and not “knowledge”, that person needs to be treated like the liar he is. There is a very large segment of Christianity that claims certain knowledge of God’s existence through experience and reason, and not simply trusting in an act of “faith” that God exists. Furthermore, this person I speak of won’t even take a stand and say that Jesus himself had knowledge of God. And he thanks these vocal atheists, and actually becomes like these atheists. So, in a word, fuck this person.

Other examples of persons needing to be insulted are all the smug atheists, with lop-sided educations and anti-religious bigotries, claiming that the existence of God in a person’s life is a weakness and a delusion. Life is both a great adventure and a valley of tears. The existence of God fits into our human lives from one end to the other. The existence of God is our most profound faith, most human hope, and most powerful love. For these smug atheists to seek to replace God with dry and rattling analytical thoughts is truly a crime against what it is to be a human being. So, in a word, fuck these people.

And experiencing God through certain and true revelations that God himself has initiated is truly a glorious reality. To a person such as you, anyone with these revelations would seem to be engaging in “grandiosity” to even mention them. But whose fault is that? I have not told you that I “believe” I had these experiences of God so now I claim to “believe” I know about God. I have told you that these certain and true revelations of God are real; that those people you have read about having them had them; that you can have them if you do not keep doing everything you keep doing to not have them. This is not me acting with grandiosity, but me being simply true to the experiences I had.

And I am “boorish” because every time I post something lighthearted the people here ignore it. Just look above at my Walking Dead posts. I am ostracized from such conversations because this is the only way atheists and their friends can get their revenge on me for me holding up so many mirrors at them. I worked on three separate jobs today—a Titleist factory, fish plant on New Bedford’s waterfront, and an old New England house across from a Yacht Club in a town called Padanaram. All these jobs I got from years of building my business and knowledge of painting. Three families other than my own are going to have a good weekend from the money I helped to bring into their homes. I have a want ad in the paper for comic books, and I am getting a lot of calls and buying some really good books. I am watching an awesome tv series with subtitles from Turkey called “Resurrection Erturgrul”. In a word, I have a lot going on that is kinda interesting. I am a bore here because that is the role I play. And I accept it because it is an important role. Modern thinking needs to be countered because it is superficial opinionated thinking that seeks to replace all that is good and true.

And I’ve been having this weird ringing in my ears the last couple of days.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

20 April 2018 17:07

I don’t wanna break it to you, Mario, but you have character flaws.  Not your penchant for insults, which I find entertaining, (for the most part), but your bragging and conceit get to me sometimes.  Also, you often seem to suggest that God is beaming at you and rewarding you because you are such a good little boy, which is asinine.  Maybe you should join one of those Prosperity Churches.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

20 April 2018 18:47

saralynn, you do not think God is doing anything. So you further think that I am asinine for telling you that God reveals himself to us when we become accepting of this revelation.

Your post above reveals just how unaccepting you are of God’s revelation. Never have I said that God is “beaming” at me. This is simply a lie, a manipulation of what I have posted to suit yourself.

You always suit yourself, even when you attempt to tell the truth. You simply can’t tell the truth and stop at that. You must add yourself to the telling.

God is acting constantly, for he is pure action. When we allow him to act through us we fulfill our lives. It is God who inspires us to give of our time and monies, and when we do, God is active in our lives. It is God who give us the power to overcome our weaknesses and human frailties, and when we do, God is again active in our lives.

To rely on ourselves is what is asinine. Here’s another mirror. Look in it. Do you see a flawless character in it because you don’t insult people or see them as needing insulting? Please.

You have been given one job above all others—become fully alive by allowing the goodness and truth of God to live in you.

Your detours in being nice to others take you off course. Be harsh to yourself first, then, when you see the changes in your life, be harsh to others who you see need a change in their lives.

The vast majority of people arrive at the end of their lives looking their age and beyond, dying with a lifetime of regrets and missed opportunities to become great persons in a sea of mediocrity.

Your judgments of me have no merit, for you are drowning in this sea, but instead of calling for help you are cursing at me because I’m on a boat.

Your constant self-awareness is smothering you. God is who you should become aware of, even more than yourself.

I seldom if ever think about myself. I go about my day doing things that line up for me like a story is unfolding. My only job is to be the best actor I can be. I don’t always succeed, but I know that when I fail it is because I have strayed from God’s spirit and allowed my own weaknesses to take over.

Some people live their whole lives straying from God. And you like to tell them that they are just being human and humbly living their lives. You are just another liar in a world full of liars.

Don’t come back here until you learn to say, “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.”

‹ First  < 83 84 85