Brother Mario

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8627
Joined  20-02-2006

13 July 2019 13:09

Brother Mario - 13 July 2019 06:05 AM

Dickhead 4.0. —

You brilliant atheists here are now claiming that religion doesn’t inspire art but only financially supports it.

Yes, the Pieta was not inspired by the Mother of God, a virgin obedient to an angel’s visitation proclaiming she would give birth to humanity’s long awaited savior, holding her tortured and crucified son at the wondrous fulfillment of her and his sacrifice, but was sculpted because of a commission by a wealthy church.

Handel’s “Messiah” played at Christmas time was not inspired by the lowly birth of a child who was the incarnation of God and humanity’s greatest gift, but a composer’s paid work.

All the Buddhas, the Ganeshes, the Greek statues, the Mormon spires — all bought and paid for as business deals and nothing more.

And that guy hanging on a cross — what an awful sight that people try to control other people in displaying, and not a true inspiration for people hoping to receive justice and glory when their lives of injustice and suffering have ended.

Yes, you dickhead atheists have those religious apologists pegged alright.

What they won’t do or say to ensnare you wonderful people into their greedy mindless cults.

You won’t see any bought and paid for atheist art any time soon.

No siree bob. Just the facts, man.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/1414836/Michelangelo-is-branded-a-multi-millionaire-miser.html

“Michelangelo was a thoroughly dishonest multi-millionaire miser who slept in his boots despite his great wealth, according to a new study.

Although the artist was known to be reasonably well off, new research suggests that he was fabulously wealthy. Michelangelo left an estate worth 50,000 florins - about £35 million in today’s money.

The great Renaissance master (1475-1564) was better paid by Pope Julius II, one of his great patrons, than was previously believed according to Rab Hatfield, a Florence-based professor who has written a book on the topic.

In the study, The Wealth of Michelangelo, published by Italy’s National Institute of Renaissance Studies, the Florentine artist and sculptor emerges as an avaricious miser who denied himself all comforts. He also invested widely and successfully in property.

He went to sleep so regularly with his boots on that, when he eventually did remove them, the skin would come away too.”

[ Edited: 13 July 2019 13:19 by unsmoked]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1163
Joined  26-02-2017

13 July 2019 14:26

Stop, Bruce, you’re destroying me with your Internet searches and Protestant anti-intellectualism.

I surrender.

And you didn’t even have to educate yourself in anything you talk about or sacrifice a second of your life in search of the Truth.

You read the Bible and passed the Bar.

You win. Philosophical reasoning is without merit.

Now go eat and drink something.

And, by the way ...

I’ve never said one word against you because you “believe in God”. Good for you. So do billions of others, even Donald Trump.

I’m against you because you are telling everyone that there’s only belief in God and not knowledge of God. Your nod to revelation is pathetic, in that you limit it to personal feelings rather than extend it to God’s actions, which are unlimited.

I haven’t believed in God for over forty years, for God chose me for his revelations that went far beyond personal feelings hidden within me.

You and all skeptics claim that such revelations are not proof because they cannot be shared with others as a fact. This is nonsense. Do what I did and then see what happens. Sacrifice yourself. Humble yourself. Educate yourself. Ask God until he answers. Wait for God until he shows up.

You and your skeptic friends have given to God five minutes of your time and five cents from your wallets. So how can you now expect his attention and a million dollar response from God?

You got from him what you deserve, which is very little.

And now you’re telling everyone that there is only very little we can expect from God.

Your lukewarm belief means he’ll spit you out of his mouth like sour milk when you try to stand before him and tell him all about the lip service you gave him while you were away from him in this valley of tears and he needed you to become fully alive in him.

[ Edited: 13 July 2019 20:37 by Brother Mario]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 03:08

Since all of you get your education from the Internet, here’s a link to a scholastic explanation of how we can come to a certain knowledge of God through reason alone:

http://www.thomisticevolution.org/disputed-questions/the-existence-of-god-according-to-reason/

In reading it, try to notice that it is not everyone who can arrive at this certain knowledge of God through reason alone, but, in fact, it is only very few people who have lived their lives well enough to set the table for them to feast at this “natural knowledge” of God spread out before us.

In a word, most people have become slaves to this world, and are conformed to this world to such a degree that they identify with this world and no other.

So it’s not only “What Are You Drinking Now?”, but also what are you eating now, wearing now, fearing now, thinking now, working for now, hoping for now, living for now …

We will not be able to accuse God of hiding himself while we suffered and died in this valley of tears. The dickheads of the human race will try, but they will hang their heads in shame when they realize that it was their own doing that kept them from feasting on the fullness of life, the natural knowledge of God, the spiritual love of God spread out before them.

“... so they have no excuse”, as it is written.

Get it?

If you don’t, then watch yourself today and see how you go from one worldly and selfish pursuit after the next, totally unable to deny yourself and help or love anyone else but yourself.

Call it a scientific experiment if you have to.

[ Edited: 14 July 2019 03:36 by Brother Mario]

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15839
Joined  17-12-2006

14 July 2019 11:54

Brother Mario - 14 July 2019 03:08 AM

Since all of you get your education from the Internet, here’s a link to a scholastic explanation of how we can come to a certain knowledge of God through reason alone:

http://www.thomisticevolution.org/disputed-questions/the-existence-of-god-according-to-reason/

In reading it, try to notice that it is not everyone who can arrive at this certain knowledge of God through reason alone, but, in fact, it is only very few people who have lived their lives well enough to set the table for them to feast at this “natural knowledge” of God spread out before us.

In a word, most people have become slaves to this world, and are conformed to this world to such a degree that they identify with this world and no other.

So it’s not only “What Are You Drinking Now?”, but also what are you eating now, wearing now, fearing now, thinking now, working for now, hoping for now, living for now …

We will not be able to accuse God of hiding himself while we suffered and died in this valley of tears. The dickheads of the human race will try, but they will hang their heads in shame when they realize that it was their own doing that kept them from feasting on the fullness of life, the natural knowledge of God, the spiritual love of God spread out before them.

“... so they have no excuse”, as it is written.

Get it?

If you don’t, then watch yourself today and see how you go from one worldly and selfish pursuit after the next, totally unable to deny yourself and help or love anyone else but yourself.

Call it a scientific experiment if you have to.

Blinded by the light.

The last two paragraphs in that bit of apologetics are telling, referring back to nothing other than dictionary definitions or biblical sources. The author modestly admits that he is simply offering arguments that he has yet to grasp in final detail and profundity. He fails to understand that his argument doesn’t really go beyond Aristotle’s argument for.a prime mover, with the shift of argument moved from motion to contingent being (not so much of a shift if we recall that for Aristotle all change was a form of motion so that his prime mover argument really referred to the source of all change, or to all becoming, which is to say, to that which is contingent in its being). In The Niche for Lights Ghazali classifies three levels of those who are veiled by pure light, using the scheme of Aristotle’s geocentric cosmology: (1) Those who assert “The Lord… is the Mover and Governor of the heavens;” (2) Those who realize that each of the multiple spheres are moved by an angel, while “the Lord is the mover of the furthest celestial body… since plurality is rejected as pertaining to the Lord;” (3) Those who claim that “the Lord is the mover of everything by means of command, not direct contact.” In both cases, there is a following out of a reasoned sequence that reaches a conclusion that is not demonstrated with certainty (why not? because other reasoned arguments can be produced leading to other conclusions). Reason, at least as understood in this article, is at best a finger pointing at the moon, but it took the Apollo program to get there.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 12:35

And a very special person to get to a natural knowledge of God every day and in everything he experiences.

As the astronauts were handpicked for such a mission so are the special people handpicked by God for such Truth.

Of course, all the other people will deny such special people exist, and even deny that the Truth exists to be found.

And even think they can outthink Aristotle, without really attempting to read Aristotle beyond an Internet search, of course.

Aristotle’s immovable mover was at the end of many years thinking out his “Physics” and then spending many more years thinking out his “Metaphysics”.

It’s kinda unconvincing hearing someone correct Aristotle who thinks for minutes at a time and with scattered thoughts, and the thoughts of others.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

14 July 2019 14:36

Brother Mario - 14 July 2019 12:35 PM

And a very special person to get to a natural knowledge of God every day and in everything he experiences.

As the astronauts were handpicked for such a mission so are the special people handpicked by God for such Truth.

Of course, all the other people will deny such special people exist, and even deny that the Truth exists to be found.

And even think they can outthink Aristotle, without really attempting to read Aristotle beyond an Internet search, of course.

Aristotle’s immovable mover was at the end of many years thinking out his “Physics” and then spending many more years thinking out his “Metaphysics”.

It’s kinda unconvincing hearing someone correct Aristotle who thinks for minutes at a time and with scattered thoughts, and the thoughts of others.

Note that requiring “special people” indicates going beyond reason, except in the trivial sense that a person needs to have enough background and intelligence to understand the argument. And of course, all reasoned arguments are contingent, even in mathematics, so their conclusions can’t be absolute other than in the context of the underlying assumptions made.

With time and work we learn to sing and play
The instruments with which we earn our pay.
But pure technique
Is just a dry creek,
It’s only Spirit flies beyond foreplay.

Who is “correcting Aristotle?” All I said was that his understanding of “motion” was as any change. There’s actually quite a rabbit hole here. For example, all the discussion that involves time is carried out in a modern frame where the Neo-Platonic chain of being has been ignored, or shifted from a “vertical” to a temporal progression. The existence of this particular cat, here, in this time and place is contingent on multiple factors that could likely be traced back to the Big Bang (or perhaps quantum fluctuations at some point along that lineage). Each of those factors could be conceptualized as involving, at bottom, the operation of predetermined patterns of possibility (I’d say natural laws, but that would carry unintended connotations) so that say 5 billion years ago the prediction that this cat would be here now would carry a probability so small as to indicate a miracle in its actually being here. Along that line of thought, you could say that in fact every moment happening as it happens, and not otherwise, is either completely determined, or miraculous. Or both. Or, one could go into natural theology and get poetical about the unity and harmony of nature and perhaps fall into the “no design without a designer” fallacy. On the other hand, taking the “vertical” view of the chain of being, a person can end up with occasionalism of the sort that Ghazali accepted. Or, one could get into the occultist idea of learning to “rise through the spheres” to union. Aristotle, of course, in developing his prime mover argument, owed a debt to both Plato and Zeno—all of the other reasoned arguments given over the centuries owe a debt to Aristotle. Aristotle didn’t fall into the “fallacy of continuity” in constructing his argument (nor did Ghazali when he transferred it to the question of motion of the heavenly spheres, in fact he explicitly points it out), but many other people do. So, as I said, blinded by the light.

Occult mysteries only lead astray
And Sacred Dogma doesn’t show the way.
To steer a way clear
Beyond greed and fear,
I’ll sight my bow between the yea and nay.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 14:50

Dickhead 5.0 —

You stubborn ignorant fools are again talking about “prayer” as if it is only one thing — asking God for stuff.

It is written: “Pray ceaselessly”.

The person who wrote this experienced God so powerfully and completely that he no longer could live without God. His prayer was his whole life, and he changed human history by sharing the Truth about God to every generation.

So his prayer worked, you fucking dipshits.

You keep judging God by projecting your stinking asshole lives upon God.

The gift of your lives is not enough for you to be grateful and loving to God, the giver of your lives. So now you bitch like ungrateful shitheads because you have to work at being alive, and you will suffer from time to time.

So God doesn’t answer prayers because he doesn’t kiss your asses when you whine like ungrateful little bitches.

Fuck off already.

No wonder your kids move away or get taken from you.

You’re that fucked up.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 15:03

First, burt, as a college professor you should have learned that long paragraphs are very poor writing. Who’s gonna read one?

Second, “dogma” is the only name for a Truth. So to claim that all dogma is false is illogical and a contradiction.

And, third, the only way to understand or criticize Aristotle is to walk in his shoes first, which means to spend the appropriate time following his thinking from start to finish, especially his “Metaphysics”. In a word, a person must become Aristotle to understand Aristotle.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

14 July 2019 16:32

Brother Mario - 14 July 2019 03:03 PM

First, burt, as a college professor you should have learned that long paragraphs are very poor writing. Who’s gonna read one?

Second, “dogma” is the only name for a Truth. So to claim that all dogma is false is illogical and a contradiction.

And, third, the only way to understand or criticize Aristotle is to walk in his shoes first, which means to spend the appropriate time following his thinking from start to finish, especially his “Metaphysics”. In a word, a person must become Aristotle to understand Aristotle.

One thing I’ve about you, Mario, is that when you can’t answer a comment you devolve to criticism that is irrelevant to its content. Then if the person takes that bait things degenerate into insults. Also, note, I didn’t equate dogma with something false, the line was “And sacred dogma doesn’t show the way.” Which is to say, at a certain point whatever doctrine or whatever that got one to a certain point has to be dropped to progress beyond that point. Otherwise it becomes a barrier.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 17:29

I just couldn’t read that paragraph, so I being helpful not critical.

And be honest— you’re not a person who accepts any dogma, even as a first step.

Try to understand where I’m coming from in my support of dogma. For me, a person who is extremely fortunate enough to be born at a time and place to hear about the life, death, and Resurrection of the greatest person who ever lived, only to shrug it off as religious talk or one dogma of many, is the epitome of human failure.

It just doesn’t get worse than that on just so many levels.

And it’s widespread and getting wider.

And we’re all suffering as a human race from this single individual human failure.

The love of this world is the ruin of us all.

See Donald Trump.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 18:51

I’m not insulting you, LadyJane.

I’m warning you of what happens when you ridicule God and thank yourself for the good things his spirit has given to you.

And I’m willing to bet my warning has already been fulfilled in you.

You ain’t on the Internet constantly complaining because you’re living happily ever after.

And if you don’t help others and even resent those who do, like religious people around the world, then it’s quite obvious that there are a whole lot of people who are much better than you are.

That’s it, isn’t it? You know how selfish and weak you are and you just don’t want to believe it, so you think you can complain yourself into becoming something you’re not.

Anyway ...

Post a pretty picture of yourself and I’ll admit to being wrong about you on one thing, because I think all bigmouth atheists who hate religion are really ugly motherfuckers pissed off at God for their bad luck.

[ Edited: 14 July 2019 19:25 by Brother Mario]

EN
Total Posts:  21577
Joined  11-03-2007

14 July 2019 19:25

Mario looketh upon the outward appearance, but God looketh upon the heart.

[ Edited: 14 July 2019 19:28 by EN]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 19:27

And when has she ever posted a single thing that told you she had a generous heart?

EN
Total Posts:  21577
Joined  11-03-2007

14 July 2019 19:29

Remember what Isaiah said about the Messiah:  “He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.”

You keep wanting people to post photos, because apparently you are proud of the way you look.  GAD posted a quite buff photo of himself - does he meet your criteria?  Jesus was not a handsome man according to Isaiah.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

14 July 2019 19:34

There you go again, thinking we only know God from the Bible.

Here’s a picture of Jesus for you that I’ve carried with me for forty years:

Image Attachments

jesus.jpg

‹ First  < 151 152 153 154 155 >  Last ›