‹ First  < 158 159 160 161 162 >  Last ›

Brother Mario

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8676
Joined  20-02-2006

09 September 2019 11:35

Brother Mario - 08 September 2019 08:57 PM

. . . all people who know and love God . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Thorns-Enslavement-Californias-Missions/dp/1610353048

The Spanish missions of California have long been misrepresented as places of benign and peaceful coexistence between Franciscan friars and California Indians. In fact, the mission friars enslaved the California Indians and treated them with deliberate cruelty. “A Cross of Thorns” describes the dark and violent reality of Mission life. Beginning in 1769, California Indians were enticed into the missions, where they and their descendents were imprisoned for 60 years of forced labor and daily beatings.

https://christianhegemony.org/pope-francis-and-father-junipero-serra-sanctifying-slavery-and-genocide

Despite the rosy image painted by the Catholic Church to cover up his reign of terror, Father Serra was a key figure in the destruction of Native communities from Baja to Northern California. He carried out the church’s policies established in the Papal Bulls of the 15th century (the Doctrine of Discovery) that gave Christian colonizers divine permission to dispossess, enslave, rape and kill anyone who resisted their efforts to claim land and resources and establish Christianity.

Father Junipero Serra, traveling north from Mexico with the Spanish Army, established a series of missions in which the military imprisoned Indigenous peoples. The missions were concentration camps. Soldiers indiscriminately rounded up Indians and brought them to the missions where they were enslaved, whipped, and tortured.  Large numbers died, many from diseases that they were vulnerable to because of harsh working conditions, constant punishment, malnourishment, crowded and filthy living conditions, and being cut off from community and culture. So many were starved or worked to death that the priests continually complained they did not have enough workers to grow food. Spanish soldiers raped Native women; children were separated from their parents; people were not allowed to speak their native languages, wear indigenous clothes, practice their cultural rituals, or to leave.  Running away was brutally punished—sometimes by Serra himself. Tens of thousands were killed as a result of this military/church alliance that exterminated entire Native peoples and cultures. “The Native American population of coastal California was reduced by some 90% during seventy years under the sole proprietorship of Serra’s mission system.”[2] Some of the soldiers and priests involved with the mission were so appalled by the level of violence that they spoke out against it. According to historian Alvin Josephy, what happened in California “was as close to genocide as any tribal people had faced, or would face, on the North American continent.”[3] Over 150,000 California Indians died under this system that Junípero Serra developed and supervised.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  26-02-2017

09 September 2019 11:47

First, Bruce, I’m not complaining about you attacking me, because the “medicine” I’m giving you is needed while I am quite confident that I am not doing anything sickly.

Second, our interactions over the years went like this (and you can easily look it up):

You told the skeptic idiots (and they are idiots, but you’re not clever enough to understand it) here that there is only “faith” in God and no “knowledge” of God, which means that God is doing nothing substantially revealing that can become knowledge.

And I responded to you by telling you to be quiet because you are putting your limited experience of God up as the only experience of God.

And then you further responded by telling me that my experiences of God were valid, but not what I think they were because I was just acting like a Catholic.

And I would ask you questions like, “Was Jesus only a person of ‘faith’, or did he truly know and love God?” or “Was Paul actually given a certain knowledge of Jesus through Jesus presenting himself to him and speaking directly to him, or was he given some dream-like trance that he had to interpret through his ‘faith’”?

And you would not answer me, but wait until Dennis or some other idiot friend of yours wrote something truly stupid about God and I attacked him, and then you would join with them with ad hominem attacks on me, saying things like, “Mario thinks he’s God’s prophet.”

Anyway ...

Salt Creek was the epitome of a skeptic idiot, and he was the one who attacked you relentlessly. And he certainly was not a person who any clever person would go out of their way to visit.

You’re not fooling me. He and Dennis and probably most of the other skeptics idiots you visited were boring and impersonal as shit. Dennis especially must have been a real disappointment. But you met with these fools and then spoke about them in glowing terms, lying bullshit glowing terms. They were idiots not worth a visit. Be honest.

Your desperate need to get along with people does not come from the Holy Spirit, but from your own lack of convictions.

Humanity doesn’t need a person like you because the stakes are too high and the world is getting more evil.

The Devil truly exists, and he is the being in control around here. Your niceties towards the ridicule and complete ignorance of God only help to hide him. “We’re all just bozos on the bus” is his little idea that keeps people from turning to God and becoming greater than they could even imagine they could become.

You are too busy spending (your wife’s?) money on having an easy life of travel, drinking, and eating to seek the love of God that truly will transform you (and her?) into living fully alive, which means giving your money away whenever someone in need comes before you, spending time on others rather than yourself, keeping close to your family and becoming a true spiritual influence in their lives, changing the lives of everyone you meet because everyone you meet has most likely only experienced persons who are not transformed by the power of God all around and within them, and so much more besides.

You’ll never get it. You’ll die in your insignificance, and with every penny and minute accounted for, and with a long line of missed opportunities to do the will of God—the true and profound and transformative will of God that presents itself to us every day all day long, and sometimes at a very high temporary cost to us.

And being a person who has dared to learn about the Lord, you know deep down that this failure of yours is the truth.

God did not reveal himself to you for you to superficially act nice to people, but for you to help everyone you meet overcome themselves and the world. To receive a revelation from God is to become a light in the darkness of this world.

But you just belly up at the bar and give Christianity lip service.

This is how I “attack” you. And you think I do it “relentlessly” because you know I speak the truth, and the Holy Spirit is of course expecting you to properly repay the gifts you have been given. “To him who was given more ... ” And the spirit never rests.

[ Edited: 16 September 2019 05:30 by Brother Mario]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

03 October 2019 18:24

Yes ... you’re all very “reasonable” people.

And you tell each other you are to prove it, blowing so much smoke up each other’s asses that your great reasoning comes out of your mouths in billowing clouds of mutual admiration.

I do have a question though:

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  01-11-2014

03 October 2019 19:44

You got a laugh out of me with that one.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

03 October 2019 20:13

That was my main goal.

I certainly wasn’t attempting to give the blowhards any “reason” to question their unsubstantiated claims of being skilled thinkers.

They wouldn’t have understood it anyway.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8676
Joined  20-02-2006

05 October 2019 11:00

Brother Mario - 03 October 2019 08:13 PM

. . . They wouldn’t have understood it anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

People suffering from grandiose delusions wrongly hold themselves at an extraordinarily high status in their mind.
Grandiose delusions (GD), delusions of grandeur, expansive delusions are a subtype of delusion that occur in patients suffering from a wide range of psychiatric diseases, including two-thirds of patients in manic state of bipolar disorder, half of those with schizophrenia, patients with the grandiose subtype of delusional disorder, and a substantial portion of those with substance abuse disorders.  GDs are characterized by fantastical beliefs that one is famous, omnipotent, wealthy, or otherwise very powerful. The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a religious, science fictional, or supernatural theme. There is a relative lack of research into GD, in contrast to persecutory delusions and auditory hallucinations. About 10% of healthy people experience grandiose thoughts but do not meet full criteria for a diagnosis of GD.

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5675
Joined  27-09-2006

05 October 2019 11:38

Brother Mario - 09 September 2019 11:47 AM

And I responded to you by telling you to be quiet because you are putting your limited experience of God up as the only experience of God.

Hi, Mario. Since you apparently still remember me, I’ll touch base with you for a moment.

You’re not the first god-botherer I’ve encountered whose life goals include (besides worshiping his god or gods) churning out a years-long series of diatribes against non-belief. I don’t know if this is the only forum for which you perform; there aren’t enough hours in a day to troll several forums and still have energy left for worshiping god. It’s good to see you’re not just abusing the atheists, though. You’re an equal-opportunity hater, attacking anyone who doesn’t genuflect to your preferred theism, including my old pal EN. You, of course, insist yours is the only game in town, but that’s your pretext for abusing anyone who doesn’t share the particular monotheist masturbation fantasy you’ve conjured up.

It’s the fact that your diatribe is measured in the hundreds of posts that puts you in this category of obsessive anti-atheism. If you’re going to obsess about something, why not atheism? Or maybe you just like all the attention you get—that’s what I think, but you’re manifesting obsessive symptoms, which might merely be an obsessive craving for attention. Don’t feel you have to thank me for this extra little dollop of attention.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

05 October 2019 12:46

Hi, Salty. I take it, from your two names here, that you’re from Colorado. Like you, I enjoy guessing at stuff. But, unlike you, I don’t take my guesses as absolute truth. And you are, of course, only guessing about God and reality.

So …

Your judgement of me as writing for years against “non-belief” is stupid. I write against big-mouth so-called atheists like you who take your disbelief in God and equate it to a true knowledge of a reality without God. Disbelieve all you want. The last thing the world needs is another putz with a superficial belief in God. But you don’t know with certitude that God doesn’t exist and I didn’t spend 7 1/2 years in constant communication with God. You’re only guessing. And the idiotic pride you have in your mundane abilities to read and write is at the root of your confidence, not experience and knowledge.

You’re another stupid ass who hasn’t looked in the right places for the answers, only in his own head, his own pride-filled inexperienced head. Thinking your computer skills (I’m guessing you have a mundane job at a computer.) gives you the skills to understand reality is the epitome of a delusional belief.

You are making very big claims about God and reality, bubba. And very big claims about yourself being more intelligent than billions upon billions of people throughout human history.

If you are the superior authority about God and reality, then life is really quite backwards now isn’t it, given how little time you have spent doing much else than pleasuring yourself?

Of course, you can always tell me where your authority comes from. You can find my claims to authority easily on this forum, but my first claim is, and has always been, direct experience through years of sacrifice.

And I come here to slap big mouths like you around in the hopes that maybe someone in your family or proximity will be spared your ridiculous personality for the few moments your lips are too swollen to speak. This is not an obsession, but a duty towards good people who need to experience greater hope and love than someone as ridiculously self-serving as you can help them experience.

My life is filled with constant experiences of God, and not one religious experience of God. God is everything to us, not some thing. So your ignorant take on me is from your ignorance of God. And that is what you’ll never discover because you are too busy loving yourself like a spoiled child. Let me guess again—nobody likes you, really likes you.

Anyway …

You’re out of your league here, in wit or ridicule. The ignorance you have of God and reality isn’t worth even bringing up here.

You can stick around this thread all you like, and you’ll probably get other fools to tell you how much you’re “chewing” on me.

But it won’t make it true.

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Joined  27-09-2006

06 October 2019 00:18

Traces Elk - 06 October 2019 12:10 AM
Brother Mario - 05 October 2019 12:46 PM

But, unlike you, I don’t take my guesses as absolute truth.

Manifestly untrue.

And you are, of course, only guessing about God and reality.

Learn to recognize the difference between questioning your beliefs and making positive statements about God and reality. What I know is that people have been telling stories about ‘god’ for a very long time, and that therefore, these stories have been copied from original speculations made by pre-scientific people who lacked knowledge of the biological agents of disease and the physics of fluids that accounts for the weather, among many other things. Your knowledge of god is extracted from your rectum or else it is a crude copy of stories originating with pre-scientific Bronze Age herdsmen, who I do not accept as a source of data about the cosmos.

Your judgement of me as writing for years against “non-belief” is stupid.

Vacuous opinion.

I write against big-mouth so-called atheists like you who take your disbelief in God and equate it to a true knowledge of a reality without God.

Vacuous opinion.

The last thing the world needs is another putz with a superficial belief in God.

Tell us what the world needs, Mario! It’s your vacuous opinion, but so what?

But you don’t know with certitude that God doesn’t exist and I didn’t spend 7 1/2 years in constant communication with God.

What should give you certitude that god exists? Extracting your rectal contents and smearing it all over an internet forum?

You’re only guessing.

Vacuous opinion. Unless you can explain how you know God with something better than copious personal anecdotes, you’re only guessing, too.

And the idiotic pride you have in your mundane abilities to read and write is at the root of your confidence, not experience and knowledge.

Vacuous opinion.

You’re another stupid ass who hasn’t looked in the right places for the answers, only in his own head, his own pride-filled inexperienced head.

Vacuous opinion.

Thinking your computer skills (I’m guessing you have a mundane job at a computer.) gives you the skills to understand reality is the epitome of a delusional belief.

Vacuous opinion, derived by random guessing. But now you want to avail yourself of some data about me. Fuck off with that.

You are making very big claims about God and reality, bubba.

You broke my irony meter, Mario.

And very big claims about yourself being more intelligent than billions upon billions of people throughout human history.

The level of intelligence and advanced education of your audience is a big issue with you, too, then. I wonder why that is. An intimate relation with some god should make all of that irrelevant to you. It appears your god-belief is not enough to keep you happy. In EN’s case, it is. Guess who I think has a more thoughtful relation with the god?

If you are the superior authority about God and reality, then life is really quite backwards now isn’t it, given how little time you have spent doing much else than pleasuring yourself?

A little tap from my clue bat, Mario. Philosophy ain’t for you.

Of course, you can always tell me where your authority comes from.

That would depend on 1) whether you think I want you to drop your belief in god or 2) whether you want me to take up a belief in god. It sounds like you just want me to shut up about it. I’m not asking you to shut up. But please, try to come up with something besides vacuous opinions about me as your side of the conversation.

You can find my claims to authority easily on this forum, but my first claim is, and has always been, direct experience through years of sacrifice.

In other words, your personal anecdotes. (gentle laughter follows)

And I come here to slap big mouths like you around in the hopes that maybe someone in your family or proximity will be spared your ridiculous personality for the few moments your lips are too swollen to speak.

So your online persona is a masturbation fantasy about what you would like to do to those with whom you disagree in real life. I thought as much.

This is not an obsession, but a duty towards good people who need to experience greater hope and love than someone as ridiculously self-serving as you can help them experience.

You’d like to help someone, but not the person you’re communicating with at the moment. Call me skeptical.

My life is filled with constant experiences of God, and not one religious experience of God.

That’s an anecdote, Mario. Just so you have a point of reference. Everything you bring to this conversation starts with anecdotes about your struggle and victory. Yet your message to those who disagree is full of hate. Fuck off with that.

God is everything to us, not some thing.

Word salad, Mario. That statement is pure metaphor, unless you are a pantheist, instead of an ignorant, dogmatic Christian fundamentalist.

So your ignorant take on me is from your ignorance of God.

Let’s just say you are not someone who’s ever even going to attempt to educate anyone about god. I’ve given my opinion about you based on what you write and how much time you spend on the singular focus of your writing.

And that is what you’ll never discover because you are too busy loving yourself like a spoiled child.

Vacuous opinion.

Let me guess again—nobody likes you, really likes you.

Does anyone except you care about this? You’re again fishing for personal data from me, Mario, or else just openly insulting me. Fuck off with that.

You’re out of your league here, in wit or ridicule.

Vacuous opinion.

The ignorance you have of God and reality isn’t worth even bringing up here.

But you brought it up, anyway. What’s the matter, Mario? Nothing more important to be doing, today?

You can stick around this thread all you like, and you’ll probably get other fools to tell you how much you’re “chewing” on me.

Thank you for your generous permission to remain, Mario.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

06 October 2019 05:39

Wow, a line by line critique to show how critical your thinking is. I’m sure you impressed yourself with it. I found it amateurish. There are many modern thinkers who became atheist cult members on the Internet who, like you, think they can pick apart the existence of God, and people who know and love him, by using a step by step approach and what few college credits they have.

It didn’t work.

You first wrote to me an empty couple of paragraphs, which was “vacuous opinion” from start to finish, thinking you had the goods to tell me about reality by using some adolescent language you accumulated, like the lame “god-botherer”. Now you write little bitch things like you’re giggling as you think. You really are an untalented idiot, aren’t you?

Now ...

What little you were capable of addressing in your last post was complete nonsense.

You tell me that Philosophy isn’t for me after something I wrote that wasn’t even philosophical. Is Philosophy for you? If it is, why is it? Give me a step by step critique of why I should not giggle as I think about you. I think Philosophy is for me because I experienced many years of actually living in the same monastery conversing daily with many doctors of Philosophy from around the world, and during that time going to Catholic University and getting a Philosophy degree myself. Your turn, and no vacuous opinion, please.

But your post above keeps making the claim that my personal experiences aren’t a valid basis for an actual knowledge of God. What would be a valid basis for such knowledge, then? Reading modern thinkers like Harris and Hitchens and Dawkins?

Are you telling me that my experiences of things are less certain than a step by step intellectual analysis by someone like them, or you, people who have created a personal safe space of skepticism at everything that they haven’t personally experienced? Try to see what true irony looks like.

Anyway ...

I’m wasting my time. You’re the Internet troll who thinks he has developed a language of insults and taunts and undergraduate thinking that is impenetrable.

I’m a former Catholic mystic who sacrificed family, friends, career, etc. to come to an understanding of the direct revelations he was receiving from God, and who followed up this sacrifice getting a Scholastic education through the Graduate level.

I win. You lose.

Stop talking about God. You sound stupid and are an idiot.

There’s far more to God than Bruce’s “faith” and your “disbelief”. There’s direct revelation from God himself.

You will not find a single sentence written by me where I talk about my “faith” or “belief” in God ... not one.

You’re not in Protestantism anymore, Dorothy.

Oh, and you questioned what I was doing yesterday.

Well, I worked on three construction jobs — a fish factory on the waterfront, a commercial laundry, and a 50’ garage.

The first two were my jobs for my painting business that I put to work a couple of guys on and then finished alone until 8:00 at night. The third was a garage I am building in my back yard and now having sheetrocked. (It’s two floors and 3,000 square feet of man cave I designed for large screen TVs on both floors, a straight wall second floor for my 50,000 comics and record collection and retro video game system collection. I will have an 8’ round table in the center of the room with every system set up and ready to play on a series of gaming TVs.)

What did you do yesterday?

[ Edited: 06 October 2019 07:10 by Brother Mario]

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Joined  27-09-2006

06 October 2019 07:14

Brother Mario - 06 October 2019 05:39 AM

Wow, a line by line critique to show how critical your thinking is. I’m sure you impressed yourself with it. I found it amateurish. There are many modern thinkers who became atheist cult members on the Internet who, like you, think they can pick apart the existence of God, and people who know and love him, by using a step by step approach and what few college credits they have.

It didn’t work.

Mediocre internet trolling.

You first wrote to me an empty couple of paragraphs, which was “vacuous opinion” from start to finish, thinking you had the goods to tell me about reality by using some adolescent language you accumulated, like the lame “god-botherer”. Now you write little bitch things like you’re giggling as you think. You really are an untalented idiot, aren’t you?

If you couldn’t insult your audience, you’d be silent. Mediocre internet trolling.

What little you were capable of addressing in your last post was complete nonsense.

So you say. Got any more vacuous opinions? I’m sure you do.

I think Philosophy is for me because I experienced many years of actually living in the same monastery conversing daily with many doctors of Philosophy from around the world, and during that time going to Catholic University and getting a Philosophy degree myself.

I’m not interested in your anecdotes. I’m interested in whether you can demonstrate a philosophical education by what you write. So far, nothing.

But your post above keeps making the claim that my personal experiences aren’t a valid basis for an actual knowledge of God. What would be a valid basis for such knowledge, then?

I favor bending spoons with your personal experience of God. PEG doesn’t do that? What is it good for, besides anecdotes of PEG?

Are you telling me that my experiences of things are less certain than a step by step intellectual analysis by someone like them, or you, people who have created a personal safe space of skepticism at everything that they haven’t personally experienced?

Why are you suggesting your anecdotes of personal experience should be impressive to me?

I’m wasting my time.

You’re trolling an internet forum.

I’m a former Catholic mystic who sacrificed family, friends, career, etc. to come to an understanding of the direct revelations he was receiving from God, and who followed up this sacrifice getting a Scholastic education through the Graduate level.

You live on anecdotes, don’t you? Tell me something I don’t know, yet.

Stop talking about God. You sound stupid and are an idiot.

Vacuous opinion.

There’s far more to God than Bruce’s “faith” and your “disbelief”. There’s direct revelation from God himself.

At the very least, there are anecdotes about experience and revelations of gods.

You will not find a single sentence written by me where I talk about my “faith” or “belief” in God ... not one.

But lots of anecdotes. Carry on splendidly.

Well, I worked on three construction jobs — a fish factory on the waterfront, a commercial laundry, and a 50’ garage.

More anecdotes in which I’m not really interested. The evidence is that you spent yesterday trolling an internet forum.

The first two were my jobs for my painting business that I put to work a couple of guys on and then finished alone until 8:00 at night. The third was a garage I am building in my back yard and now having sheetrocked. It’s two floors and 3,000 square feet of man cave.

Love the anecdotes, Mario. Keep ‘em coming. Tell some anecdotes that demonstrate what a successful painting business you have.
Sheetrock? Who doesn’t know the term “sheetrock”? Go look up what sheetrock is composed of and tell us. You could have without being asked, but just wanted to tell anecdotes about what a productive fellow you are. It’s vanity, Mario. Nothing but your vanity.

What did I do yesterday? None of your fucking business.,

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

06 October 2019 07:57

Again, I win.

You use words like “anecdote” because you think it makes you seem intelligent. A better word is “story”. You should be telling me that all I have is personal “stories”. That would make your writing clear and your reader instantly involved, rather than your writing being about you and a dictionary.

Getting a Graduate degree in Professional Writing helped me to understand things like that. And that’s a “story” introduced by an example, as all my stories are. People like stories ... honestly talented people, anyway.

Which brings me to your bizarre and stupid writing about my use of “sheetrock”. Where did I question about it and not simply write that I was getting it done? Now you’re in learning-disability territory here. And having taught high school and being certified to teach high school English means I know from experience that you’re showing the symptoms of being intellectually disabled. Oops, I told another story didn’t I?

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Joined  27-09-2006

06 October 2019 09:06

I experienced many years of actually living in the same monastery conversing daily with many doctors of Philosophy from around the world, and during that time going to Catholic University and getting a Philosophy degree myself.

Brother Mario - 06 October 2019 07:57 AM

Getting a Graduate degree in Professional Writing helped me to understand things like that.

Very impressive, Mario. It’s obvious how important it is to you for others to understand how much you’ve achieved academically before you took up painting houses and mounting sheetrock. Many years in the monastery, a Professional Writing Graduate degree. And the arthritis hasn’t set in, yet. You’re still typing.

There’s nothing wrong with hanging sheetrock—as a profession, but it must be miserable trying to discuss philosophy with your co-workers. They must be bored to death by your tedious, um, stories.

[ Edited: 06 October 2019 09:11 by Traces Elk]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

06 October 2019 09:46

I painted my first house 52 years ago, so my education came afterwards and during. I even painted the monastery in D.C. I lived in.

And I don’t have coworkers as much as employees.

And to know and love God fully alive doesn’t need explaining. My “coworkers” know me as a generous and intelligent person who cares about their dignity first and foremost, even at the cost of overpaying them or advancing them money. A man needs money in his pocket to feel like a man, even if he is wasting it on selfish pleasures, like all my workers do.

My time in the monastery was forty years ago, and I’ve had to endure one inexperienced putz after the next, from ultra religious to militant atheist, trying to tell me about God ever since.

You’re a dime a dozen.

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Joined  27-09-2006

06 October 2019 10:26

It seems the only tools you bring (besides your obsessive hatred of atheism and atheists) are stories (anecdotes) about the profound role your god plays in your life. Thanks for the entertainment. If this was “show and tell”, in your case it would be all “tell” and no “show”. Your god’s a “no-show”.

The rest is more anecdotes, about what you do for other people, who aren’t here to support your testimony. It’s just all about you, isn’t it? That’s the way a lot of theists like yourself present their god: just a more polished, more accomplished version of themselves, a wish fulfillment. What a sorry spectacle that is, for the most part.

It’s your job to bring god into the room, and that you seem to have left by the way, or in a muddle of anecdotes. WIth your seminary/monastery training, bringing god forward should be a breeze. Sometimes the brothers do end up casting pearls, if you know what I mean.

[ Edited: 06 October 2019 10:36 by Traces Elk]

‹ First  < 158 159 160 161 162 >  Last ›