‹ First  < 163 164 165

Brother Mario

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6411
Joined  31-01-2012

06 November 2019 19:16

Brother Mario,

Honest question. Did Jesus know how important he was?

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  26-02-2017

07 November 2019 04:05

Honest answer:

The importance of Jesus was not hidden in his head, but shined brightly for everyone to see, and moved powerfully for everyone to experience.
Here you are 2,000 years later talking about him, and here I am knowing and loving him.
To not see the importance of an eternal life, and how it changes everything, is the great human failure of every age. (People simply don’t know their Metaphysics.)
The Truth is also not hidden in our heads, but shining brightly.

A rich guy, who saw the things Jesus was saying and doing, one day called out to him as he was walking through a very large crowd of people trying to get close to him, “Good master, how can I receive eternal life?”
Jesus stopped and turned to him, and seeing he was a rich guy replied, “Why are you calling me good? Only God is good. Obey his commandments.  But if you want to be perfect, go and sell everything you have and give it to the poor, then come and follow me, and your treasure will be in heaven.”
The rich guy stopped smiling and walked away. He just couldn’t bring himself to see the importance of living in the kingdom of God here and now. He was too busy being in love with dressing up and eating and drinking and buying stuff to fall in love with a far greater reality — The Truth.

Jesus said, “There is no greater love than to lay down your life for your friends.”
Jesus was in love with The Truth, and knew he was laying down his life for us to also have such a love.
So, yes, he “knew” how important he was because he “loved” what his importance meant for us all.

The profound relationship between knowing the Truth and loving the Truth is a mystery that seems to be hidden from the skeptic who fancies himself intelligent.

[ Edited: 07 November 2019 20:37 by Brother Mario]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8759
Joined  20-02-2006

07 November 2019 10:39

Brother Mario - 07 November 2019 04:05 AM

Honest answer:

The importance of Jesus was not hidden in his head, but shined brightly for everyone to see, and moved powerfully for everyone to experience.
Here you are 2,000 years later talking about him, and here I am knowing and loving him.
To not see the importance of an eternal life, and how it changes everything, is the great human failure of every age. (People simply don’t know their Metaphysics.)
The Truth is also not hidden in our heads, but shining brightly.

A rich guy, who saw the things Jesus was saying and doing, one day called out to him as he was walking through a very large crowd of people trying to get close to him, “Good master, how can I receive eternal life?”
Jesus stopped and turned to him, and seeing he was a rich guy replied, “Why are you calling me good? Only God is good. Obey his commandments.  But if you want to be perfect, go and sell everything you have and give it to the poor, then come and follow me, and your treasure will be in heaven.”
The rich guy stopped smiling and walked away. He just couldn’t bring himself to see the importance of living in the kingdom of God here and now. He was too busy being in love with dressing up and eating and drinking and buying stuff to fall in love with a far greater reality — The Truth.

Jesus said, “There is no greater love than to lay down your life for your friends.”
Jesus was in love with The Truth, and knew he was laying down his life for us to also have such a love.
So, yes, he “knew” how important he was because he “loved” what his importance meant for us all.

The profound relationship between knowledge of the Truth and loving the Truth is a mystery that seems to be hidden from the skeptic who fancies himself intelligent.

Did the people who loved Jesus try to talk him out of his insistence on getting himself arrested and executed by torture?  Did he choose that course because he realized that people like yourself wouldn’t pay any attention to his teaching unless he died horribly? 

In this New Yorker cartoon, it’s likely that God also fretted, “Darn!  I shouldn’t have made their faith in love and goodness contingent on Jesus being tortured to death”.  https://condenaststore.com/featured/on-the-seventh-day-bruce-eric-kaplan.html

[ Edited: 09 November 2019 09:22 by unsmoked]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8759
Joined  20-02-2006

11 November 2019 12:39

Brother Mario - 07 November 2019 04:05 AM

. . . The importance of Jesus was not hidden in his head, but shined brightly for everyone to see, and moved powerfully for everyone to experience.

The profound relationship between knowing the Truth and loving the Truth is a mystery that seems to be hidden from the skeptic who fancies himself intelligent.

During the Spanish Inquisition, think of the Christians who believed in Jesus’ teaching and so dared criticize the Church for amassing so much wealth while the poor struggled to survive.  Such critics, arrested for heresy, refusing to recant, could be tortured and burned alive in the town square as a warning to others and as a public entertainment for the masses.

“Dios mio!  Dios mio!  Por que me has abandonado?”

(For more about this period in Catholic history see ‘THE END OF FAITH - Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason’ by Sam Harris . . . chapter 3, ‘In the Shadow of God’)

or:  https://www.history.com/topics/religion/inquisition

The Job of Inquisitors

Inquisitors would arrive in a town and announce their presence, giving citizens a chance to admit to heresy. Those who confessed received a punishment ranging from a pilgrimage to a whipping.

Those accused of heresy were forced to testify. If the heretic did not confess, torture and execution were inescapable. Heretics weren’t allowed to face accusers, received no counsel, and were often victims of false accusations.

‹ First  < 163 164 165