‹ First  < 163 164 165 166 167 >  Last ›

Brother Mario

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6541
Joined  31-01-2012

06 November 2019 19:16

Brother Mario,

Honest question. Did Jesus know how important he was?

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1287
Joined  26-02-2017

07 November 2019 04:05

Honest answer:

The importance of Jesus was not hidden in his head, but shined brightly for everyone to see, and moved powerfully for everyone to experience.
Here you are 2,000 years later talking about him, and here I am knowing and loving him.
To not see the importance of an eternal life, and how it changes everything, is the great human failure of every age. (People simply don’t know their Metaphysics.)
The Truth is also not hidden in our heads, but shining brightly.

A rich guy, who saw the things Jesus was saying and doing, one day called out to him as he was walking through a very large crowd of people trying to get close to him, “Good master, how can I receive eternal life?”
Jesus stopped and turned to him, and seeing he was a rich guy replied, “Why are you calling me good? Only God is good. Obey his commandments.  But if you want to be perfect, go and sell everything you have and give it to the poor, then come and follow me, and your treasure will be in heaven.”
The rich guy stopped smiling and walked away. He just couldn’t bring himself to see the importance of living in the kingdom of God here and now. He was too busy being in love with dressing up and eating and drinking and buying stuff to fall in love with a far greater reality — The Truth.

Jesus said, “There is no greater love than to lay down your life for your friends.”
Jesus was in love with The Truth, and knew he was laying down his life for us to also have such a love.
So, yes, he “knew” how important he was because he “loved” what his importance meant for us all.

The profound relationship between knowing The Truth and loving The Truth is a mystery that seems to be hidden from the skeptic who fancies himself intelligent.

[ Edited: 17 November 2019 09:47 by Brother Mario]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9140
Joined  20-02-2006

07 November 2019 10:39

Brother Mario - 07 November 2019 04:05 AM

Honest answer:

The importance of Jesus was not hidden in his head, but shined brightly for everyone to see, and moved powerfully for everyone to experience.
Here you are 2,000 years later talking about him, and here I am knowing and loving him.
To not see the importance of an eternal life, and how it changes everything, is the great human failure of every age. (People simply don’t know their Metaphysics.)

A rich guy, who saw the things Jesus was saying and doing, one day called out to him as he was walking through a very large crowd of people trying to get close to him, “Good master, how can I receive eternal life?”
Jesus stopped and turned to him, and seeing he was a rich guy replied, “Why are you calling me good? Only God is good. Obey his commandments.  But if you want to be perfect, go and sell everything you have and give it to the poor, then come and follow me, and your treasure will be in heaven.”
The rich guy stopped smiling and walked away. He just couldn’t bring himself to see the importance of living in the kingdom of God here and now. He was too busy being in love with dressing up and eating and drinking and buying stuff to fall in love with a far greater reality — The Truth.

Jesus said, “There is no greater love than to lay down your life for your friends.”
Jesus was in love with The Truth, and knew he was laying down his life for us to also have such a love.
So, yes, he “knew” how important he was because he “loved” what his importance meant for us all.

The profound relationship between knowledge of the Truth and loving the Truth is a mystery that seems to be hidden from the skeptic who fancies himself intelligent.

Did the people who loved Jesus try to talk him out of his insistence on getting himself arrested and executed by torture?  Did he choose that course because he realized that people like yourself wouldn’t pay any attention to his teaching unless he died horribly? 

In this New Yorker cartoon, it’s likely that God also fretted, “Darn!  I shouldn’t have made their faith in love and goodness contingent on Jesus being tortured to death”.  https://condenaststore.com/featured/on-the-seventh-day-bruce-eric-kaplan.html

[ Edited: 09 November 2019 09:22 by unsmoked]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

11 November 2019 12:39

. . . The importance of Jesus was not hidden in his head, but shined brightly for everyone to see, and moved powerfully for everyone to experience.

The profound relationship between knowing the Truth and loving the Truth is a mystery that seems to be hidden from the skeptic who fancies himself intelligent.

During the Spanish Inquisition, think of the Christians who believed in Jesus’ teaching and so dared criticize the Church for amassing so much wealth while the poor struggled to survive.  Such critics, arrested for heresy, refusing to recant, could be tortured and burned alive in the town square as a warning to others and as a public entertainment for the masses.

“Dios mio!  Dios mio!  Por que me has abandonado?”

(For more about this period in Catholic history see ‘THE END OF FAITH - Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason’ by Sam Harris . . . chapter 3, ‘In the Shadow of God’)

or:  https://www.history.com/topics/religion/inquisition

The Job of Inquisitors

Inquisitors would arrive in a town and announce their presence, giving citizens a chance to admit to heresy. Those who confessed received a punishment ranging from a pilgrimage to a whipping.

Those accused of heresy were forced to testify. If the heretic did not confess, torture and execution were inescapable. Heretics weren’t allowed to face accusers, received no counsel, and were often victims of false accusations.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

17 November 2019 08:56

As SpongeBob once lamented to Plankton when he just wouldn’t admit to stealing the krabby patty right in front of them, “How can you not see it?”, I must lament the same sentiment to you skeptics who just won’t admit to arguing against “religion” rather than “God”, who I keep placing right in front of you with every post I write.

EN and I are not the same person but with varying degrees of “faith” and “commitment”, because the existence of God is not truly a bottom-up psychological phenomenon dressed up in religious language. Skeptics want the reality of God’s existence to be this, just as religious folks want it to be this. This is because both skeptics and religious folks are operating on the same superficial level—i.e., intellectualism brimming over with emotionalism.

Just look at EN as he amicably makes his acquiescent posts, such as, “I could be wrong about my faith”, or “I would change my faith if science discovered something”.

Just look at LadyJane and Elk as they proudly make their pronounced posts, such as, “Religion doesn’t stand up to scrutiny”, or “The supernatural doesn’t exist”.

Both the religious guy and the skeptic couple are acting upon superficial thoughts bouncing around in their heads while emotional forces heat up these thoughts to make their bouncing speed up and get out of their control.

This is the reoccurring dynamic that leads all of LadyJane’s beloved forum “discussions” spiraling downward into meaningless prattle.

This is the outcome of persons trying desperately to justify their obvious lack of education and experience pertinent to the subject matter they insist on taking on, and taking on as persons just as knowledgeable and experienced as anyone else, which is the truest thing on this forum that doesn’t “stand up to scrutiny”.

The existence of God certainly has a lot going for it, and is quite the opposite of being “flavorless”, as LadyJane emotionally blurted out to make her writing amateurishly witty.

The existence of God is all around us, from the vastness of the physical universe to the smallness of matter to the difference of every human face.

The existence of God is deep within us, from the thoughts we think to the reality we create to the love we hold.

The existence of God stands up to “scrutiny”, alright, but good and true scrutiny, talented and selfless scrutiny, open and virtuous scrutiny, not the “scrutiny” of an Elk who writes words he wants people to look up, or a Lady who writes Introductions to books she will never write, or an EN who writes posts he uses as security blankets.

The existence of God is our most beautiful reality and our most meaningful truth.

However ...

The existence of God is experienced—i.e., God is known and loved—by a person who places God above herself.

A person in love with the thoughts bouncing around in her head and the emotional charge she applies to these thoughts has no room for God in her life, nor is she standing in the place where God is found.

God is found where he has hidden himself from such selfish and stupid persons who are wise and clever in their own eyes.

God is where he should be—waiting in wisdom and love to see the beautiful faces of his obedient and loving children looking up at him.

[ Edited: 17 November 2019 10:31 by Brother Mario]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

17 November 2019 12:11

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”
Proverbs 1:7

Mario, this is the ‘signature’ at the end of your diatribe above

Does this mean that you live in fear?  Do you think Jesus lived in fear?  Do Catholics in general live in fear?  Do you think a Protestant like EN lives in fear?

Have you noticed how much you despise all wisdom and instruction that doesn’t come from your own catechism?  There are about 6 billion people in the world who don’t buy your version of ‘wisdom’.  Is there one person among the 6 billion non-Catholics whose wisdom and instruction has widened you view and enhanced your life?  Are you proud of your closed mind and know-it-all attitude?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catechism_of_the_Catholic_Church

diatribe  n

1: a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

17 November 2019 12:54

unsmoked, you simpleton who doesn’t read any posts except to otherwise get to your own, here’s a link to what the ancient word for “fear” meant in the Bible:

https://www.gotquestions.org/fear-Lord-beginning-wisdom.html

In your materialistic ignorance of spiritual matters, you are like an African who doesn’t have a word for “snow”.

And since you do not have the intelligence or quality of personality for self-reflection, I don’t really expect an imbecile like you to read the link or learn anything from it.

imbecile
[?imb?s?l]

NOUN
informal
a stupid person.
synonyms:
fool · idiot · cretin · moron · dolt · halfwit · ass · dunce · dullard · simpleton ·
ADJECTIVE
stupid; idiotic.
“try not to make imbecile remarks”
synonyms:
stupid · foolish · idiotic · silly · doltish · halfwitted · witless · dull · brainless ·

[ Edited: 17 November 2019 18:33 by Brother Mario]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

17 November 2019 13:23

Even though EN’s posts make my skin crawl, I have to admit that he wrote one today that affected my funny bone.

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5782
Joined  27-09-2006

18 November 2019 09:09

Brother Mario - 17 November 2019 12:54 PM

here’s a link to what the ancient word for “fear” meant in the Bible:

That’s a specially-selected internet link offered to me by a nutcase with an axe to grind.

You’ve got a jones to speak authoritatively, to have reality conform to your assertions rather than the other way around. Bend a fucking spoon.

[ Edited: 18 November 2019 09:16 by Traces Elk]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

18 November 2019 10:55

Brother Mario - 17 November 2019 12:54 PM

unsmoked, you simpleton who doesn’t read any posts except to otherwise get to your own, here’s a link to what the ancient word for “fear” meant in the Bible:

In your materialistic ignorance of spiritual matters, you are like an African who doesn’t have a word for “snow”.

And since you do not have the intelligence or quality of personality for self-reflection, I don’t really expect an imbecile like you to read the link or learn anything from it.

imbecile
[?imb?s?l]

NOUN
informal
a stupid person.
synonyms:
fool · idiot · cretin · moron · dolt · halfwit · ass · dunce · dullard · simpleton ·
ADJECTIVE
stupid; idiotic.
“try not to make imbecile remarks”
synonyms:
stupid · foolish · idiotic · silly · doltish · halfwitted · witless · dull · brainless ·

This response to post #2466 reminds me of Trump responding to critics.  It’s the cult leader lashing out like a 3rd grade playground bully against those who don’t acknowledge their superior knowledge, wisdom, power, and intimate relationship with God. 

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

18 November 2019 11:43

Elk, you write like you have a bent spoon perpetually wedged up your ass.

Only if there were bent spoons above churches throughout the world and over the past 2,000 years would your rational against the greatest person who ever lived be worthy of merit.

But you’re just another emotional asshole who fancies himself intelligent without actually doing anything that true intelligence demands.

You write as bizarre as possible to hide the simple fact that you don’t have anything to write about.

Nhoj has the same problem, but, unlike you, he sorta knows he’s full of shit.

[ Edited: 18 November 2019 11:56 by Brother Mario]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6541
Joined  31-01-2012

18 November 2019 12:31

Honest answer:

The profound relationship between knowing The Truth and loving The Truth is a mystery that seems to be hidden from the skeptic who fancies himself intelligent.

I know that we can’t know our metaphysics but Jesus was possibly just the world’s most charasmatic man who pretended to. Think about this: if he knew, and you know, then we who don’t are supposed to do something so we could find out. There’s always going to be someone selling that something. Sure Jesus was different, but when you think about it he wasn’t necessarily unique.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

18 November 2019 12:39

Brother Mario - 18 November 2019 11:43 AM

Elk, you write like you have a bent spoon perpetually wedged up your ass.

Only if there were bent spoons above churches throughout the world and over the past 2,000 years would your rational against the greatest person who ever lived be worthy of merit.

But you’re just another emotional asshole who fancies himself intelligent without actually doing anything that true intelligence demands.

You write as bizarre as possible to hide the simple fact that you don’t have anything to write about.

Nhoj has the same problem, but, unlike you, he sorta knows he’s full of shit.

Mario, you have no way to discern intelligence.  The fact that you think God made a Xerox copy of the dead Jesus on his burial shroud, suggests that, under the influence of Catholic mumbo-jumbo, your wits evaporated long ago.

mumbo jumbo  n

language or ritual causing or intended to cause confusion or bewilderment.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

18 November 2019 18:17

John, I didn’t say “can’t” but “doesn’t”. We can certainly know our metaphysics, and do … and must, if we’re ever going to think logically in the first place. To know that no two contradictory statements in the same sentence can both be true is knowledge of metaphysics. The problem arises when we fail to progress past this basic metaphysics to more advanced metaphysics. Aristotle became Aristotle because he trained his mind to think metaphysically. He would have become just some other ancient Greek philosopher if he didn’t put in the work of training his mind beyond his peers. And, of course, he was born truly gifted, which is no small thing. We all are not born equal in the talent department. You keep reminding people of it all the time.

Here’s where Jesus comes in. If you find it impossible to “believe” that a single person can be born the greatest person who ever lived, then what you find impossible is the metaphysical possibility of it. When I think about it, I not only find Jesus “unique”, as we all are unique, but the Alpha and Omega of human beings, the first thought of God and the last creation at the pinnacle of all of creation. My metaphysics is not untrained because I was fortunate enough to be given an initial revelation of God that propelled me forward in the right direction, and then I did everything I possibly could to keep moving forward, and met some amazing teachers along the way.

Your pessimistic take on persons “selling that something” reveals your misconception of where the truth is found. The sentences I’m writing to you do not contain the truth for you to come to know, but the truth that I came to know. None of my teachers gave to me knowledge of the truth, but only pointed to the truth I needed to discover for myself.

I’m well aware that the revelations of God I claim to have received are very rare, if not unheard of in this day and age. So I don’t really expect or encourage anyone to go get one.

But there is nothing stopping a person from reading through Aritotle’s Physics and then following his thinking through his Metaphysics. I have always encouraged an intellectual to do this. For, as your post above demonstrates, intellectualism in an untrained mind can argue any point from both sides equally. The only way for us to come to a profound conclusion about reality’s deepest secrets is for us to become profound thinkers ourselves. Aristotle stated clearly that from what he observed in our finite universe, an infinite being must exist. And from what he observed in a universe of only secondary causes, a first cause greater than the universe must exist. And he doesn’t just make such statements, but step by step arrives at these profound conclusions, building one thought upon another, thereby providing a firm foundation for each subsequent thought.

My conclusion about Jesus is like that. My first thoughts about Jesus were exactly like yours, for I thought he was getting too much credit. (I’ve written about this before.) But I did not simply stop there and take my initial judgement of him as the end of the story. (This is where “humility” comes in, for I have always been aware of my failures from simply being a limited human being.) No, I kept moving forward and step by step came to an understanding of what Jesus’ existence actually meant. Everything we have heard about him is true, and because it is true, everything we could ever hope for ourselves is true. Jesus isn’t isolated in his “only begotten son” status, but the perfect son of God that makes us all more than we could ever be without him. We are now, through him, not only loved by God, but “like” God.

Skeptics like to talk about eternal life as some boring eternity praising God. But our eternity will be nothing of the sort. We will live forever becoming more and more “like” God, and according to how we spent our life here and now.

This is our time to sacrifice ourselves to become fully alive, and thereby reap the benefits of the person we have become.

This is the greatest metaphysics that is unknown, for if a person knew it, he or she would live the opposite of a self-centered life that makes us empty inside and small outside.

And here is where a rich guy comes in.

[ Edited: 19 November 2019 04:07 by Brother Mario]

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5782
Joined  27-09-2006

19 November 2019 09:27

Brother Mario - 18 November 2019 11:43 AM

Say something that demands anything but holding one’s nose and diving in.

‹ First  < 163 164 165 166 167 >  Last ›