‹ First  < 168 169 170 171 172 >  Last ›

Brother Mario

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1290
Joined  26-02-2017

26 December 2019 05:47

Where were all you anti-religious bigots yesterday?

LadyJane was sleeping.

unsmoked was all alone here with the Owl Guy posting about how they were braver or different than me.

What was so different yesterday, and why does today feel like we snapped back into a mundane winter day?

Weird, huh?

It’s like there is a “spirit” in our midst after all.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9254
Joined  20-02-2006

26 December 2019 12:40

Brother Mario - 22 December 2019 02:25 PM

Only a skeptic dipshit would call the secularization of the most significant and most holy day in human history an “evolution”.

Welcome not back, Jan.

You’re a moron.

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/psychiatrist-trump-s-projection-on-chairman-schiff-is-primitive-74462277699

You seem to have the same affliction as Trump - describing yourself as you denigrate others.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

27 December 2019 19:34

I almost forgot ...

The two Canadian women wanted to start a roast, but it fizzled out as soon as they popped the cork.

I meant to tell them that Americans really don’t pay much attention to anything happening in Canada, especially in that silly province that is, I guess, another France. I went there a couple of times. The first time, about thirty years ago, I saw a big parade and signs everywhere in celebration of its separation from Canada, which of course never happened. The second time, about four years ago, I saw another parade, at night in record breaking 50 degrees below zero temperature. So I guess Canadians like parades, and starting things that don’t get finished, and acting European in North America, and playing outside when it’s freezing.

It says a lot about Canada that my most memorable experience was walking in Quebec during a festival and hearing the deafening noise of thousands of people’s feet crunching the frozen snow. It was the single experience I had that impressed me.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

01 January 2020 12:08

Jb8989 - 18 December 2019 07:22 AM
Brother Mario - 17 December 2019 09:46 AM

As you know, what I can’t appreciate is your malicious attitude towards God.

You can’t have malice for something that you’re sure is made up. And here’s the thing, if I’m right, you’re wasting your time on a brainwasher’s credo that above all is 100% irrelevant when it comes to being a good person. Honest question: Have you ever entertained the idea - I mean recently - that you’re wrong? Or is doubt a sin?

For Mario, I suspect it would be a sin to think that nature created him.  Let heaven and nature sing?  Never!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLT9dSt8cwg

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

05 January 2020 09:07

First post of 2020 …

Our Forum will be, of course, still dedicated to languishing and opinionating. Its tearless leader, Nhoj, has a “total button” that will not be pushed because he has an idea that there is a “frontier” of understanding reality that is akin to having no understanding of reality at all, and no understanding to the degree that he will never even use the word “reality”. As he puts it, “Going trioon has deflated many conventional terms for me.”—Read: “I only care about my own thoughts today, not the thoughts of other human beings throughout human history. Hey, honey, can you get me another Heineken? I’m in the basement.”

Yes, a big wide door will remain open in our Forum to allow the crowds of opinionated thinkers to enter this vast and empty “frontier”.

But I have an idea about a “frontier” of understanding reality, too:

My idea is that the “reality” of our limited physical presence in the physical universe is not our only presence, for we have been gifted with occupying the singular place at the pinnacle of this “reality”, where we stand as the only “reality” that knows and loves like God, the true “reality” necessary for “reality” to exist in the first place.

The “frontier” before me extends infinitely inward and eternally outward. I do not count milliseconds of thought, but appreciate thought itself. I do not remake myself into a system of ideas, but rejoice in the divine personality I have always been.

Anyway …

It is a brand new year, never before seen since the beginning of time. This is the “reality” that should move us into a “frontier” of new and wonderful experiences and accomplishments.

Only the best of us will spend this new year becoming better. Many of us will become worse. And many still will not become either.

I know who I will become, because I “understand” how important it is that I do.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

05 January 2020 12:27

Brother Mario - 05 January 2020 09:07 AM

First post of 2020 …
I know who I will become, because I “understand” how important it is that I do.

Genesis 3:19

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

30 January 2020 19:08

Looks like the forum has found a new batch of regulars. Really great guys, too.

To the idiot in New Orleans who thinks billions of people in Islam are all dangerous and bad human beings—

Try to imagine billions of people who are members of a group that think and act like you do.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

31 January 2020 12:33

Brother Mario - 30 January 2020 07:08 PM

Try to imagine billions of people who are members of a group that think and act like you do.

To those most vulnerable to the coercive tactics of religion - ”  (Richard Dawkins new book)

https://www.amazon.com/Outgrowing-God-Beginners-Richard-Dawkins/dp/1984853910/ref=pd_sbs_14_1/133-6349275-3109020?

Should we believe in God? In this brisk introduction to modern atheism, one of the world’s greatest science writers tells us why we shouldn’t.

Richard Dawkins was fifteen when he stopped believing in God.

Deeply impressed by the beauty and complexity of living things, he’d felt certain they must have had a designer. Learning about evolution changed his mind. Now one of the world’s best and bestselling science communicators, Dawkins has given readers, young and old, the same opportunity to rethink the big questions.

In twelve fiercely funny, mind-expanding chapters, Dawkins explains how the natural world arose without a designer—the improbability and beauty of the “bottom-up programming” that engineers an embryo or a flock of starlings—and challenges head-on some of the most basic assumptions made by the world’s religions: Do you believe in God? Which one? Is the Bible a “Good Book”? Is adhering to a religion necessary, or even likely, to make people good to one another? Dissecting everything from Abraham’s abuse of Isaac to the construction of a snowflake, Outgrowing God is a concise, provocative guide to thinking for yourself.

Try to imagine billions of people who are members of a group that are not trapped in superstitious fictions.

[ Edited: 05 February 2020 09:43 by unsmoked]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

19 February 2020 18:50

Hello, everyone.

I’m gonna write a brief post because I see some of you dolts, led by that bastion of intellect Skippy, have decided to ridicule God again for not taking his omnipotent power and making life here on Earth a heavenly paradise without suffering or death.

Of course, you dolts can’t really understand the theological and philosophical stupidity in this, so you simply supported your utter ignorance with a silly image of a guy jerking himself off and God watching him repugnantly … as if you guys would look at yourselves in the mirror jerking off and say, “Hey, I look pretty cool right now.”

That’s all I’ve got to say. I’ve told you before, and many times, that it is our time to shine until we reap the rewards of conquering our weaknesses with character and enduring our sufferings with grace. And God is invisible for this reason most of all, because he wants us to be with him as his free children, not forced to obey or weakened by an easy life.

But the depth of what I have told you about yourselves and about God has been too deep for most of you, especially the few dipshits on Skippy’s thread. No, the only depth you have is how deeply you’ve dug yourselves in to being anti-religious bigots, so-called “atheists” who have ostracized yourselves from your family and friends out of delusions about your intelligence.

Don’t worry, God isn’t repugnantly watching you jerk off.

The Holy Spirit flees real fast when a human being grabs his shit and acts like a lower primate.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

20 February 2020 12:47

Brother Mario - 19 February 2020 06:50 PM

Hello, everyone.

I’m gonna write a brief post because I see some of you dolts, led by that bastion of intellect Skippy, have decided to ridicule God again for not taking his omnipotent power and making life here on Earth a heavenly paradise without suffering or death.

Of course, you dolts can’t really understand the theological and philosophical stupidity in this, so you simply supported your utter ignorance with a silly image of a guy jerking himself off and God watching him repugnantly … as if you guys would look at yourselves in the mirror jerking off and say, “Hey, I look pretty cool right now.”

That’s all I’ve got to say. I’ve told you before, and many times, that it is our time to shine until we reap the rewards of conquering our weaknesses with character and enduring our sufferings with grace. And God is invisible for this reason most of all, because he wants us to be with him as his free children, not forced to obey or weakened by an easy life.

But the depth of what I have told you about yourselves and about God has been too deep for most of you, especially the few dipshits on Skippy’s thread. No, the only depth you have is how deeply you’ve dug yourselves in to being anti-religious bigots, so-called “atheists” who have ostracized yourselves from your family and friends out of delusions about your intelligence.

Don’t worry, God isn’t repugnantly watching you jerk off.

The Holy Spirit flees real fast when a human being grabs his shit and acts like a lower primate.

And the Holy Spirit flees when it sees a self-righteous fool crowing about his own knowledge and goodness and chuminess with God.

Luke 18:9-14 -  Parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector

Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else:  “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector.  The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector!  I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

“But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’  I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

22 March 2020 07:38

Hello, friends.

Figured I’d write something to you since I’m sitting on my couch a lot more these days.

I read through your latest posts, and I see you’re still believing that listening to the thoughts bouncing around in your heads and nothing else keeps you safe from being “brainwashed” or believing in stuff that is not factual or “scientific”.

Of course, the delusional unsmoked started it off, and it all ended with a thud by burt and Mart pointing to “religion” and “politics” as a good start to list the leading culprits that steal our free minds from ourselves.

Your superficiality and just plain stupidity still astounds me, which is probably a weakness on my part, especially when I have hopes that you will somehow learn to be profound.

Oh well, let me add to your “list” anyway:

Is a cigarette smoker brainwashed and keeping himself ignorant of the physical harm he’s doing to his health?

Is a drinker brainwashed and keeping himself ignorant of the personal harm he’s doing to his life?

Is an “atheist” brainwashed and refusing to objectively interpret scientific discoveries that may point to the existence of God?

Is a skeptic who reads only modern skeptics brainwashed and ignorant of the writings of great people who have changed human history?

Is a materialist brainwashed and embarrassing himself with all sorts of bizarre explanations of what it means to be a human being beyond the role that our physical bodies play?

Is a pride-filled intellect brainwashed and trusting only himself to know things that he could in no way, giving his education and experience, know?

Anyway ...

I don’t expect a response, since you all seem quite content to believe only yourselves and your Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat of a brain.

Hey, how about that tiny virus, huh?

Science is doing its best, which doesn’t seem all that impressive so far. Like giving blind people a dog, science is now handing us masks. It seems we are going to have to let it kick our ass until our asses can go outside again. Then, a year or so from now, some vaccine will be invented ... until the next unknown virus shows up.

Yup. We big bad modern amazing scientific people are hiding at home from a microscopic enemy.

On the upside—our air is getting cleaner, our pride is getting humbler, our families are getting closer, our priorities are getting higher, and Brother Mario returned to the forum. smile

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5013
Joined  19-08-2010

22 March 2020 10:37

Brother Mario - 22 March 2020 07:38 AM

Hello, friends.

Figured I’d write something to you since I’m sitting on my couch a lot more these days…

Hello Joe, hope you and yours are well.
I think the couch business might be a good thing to invest in once things have blown over.

Image Attachments

couch.jpeg

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

22 March 2020 13:01

Brother Mario - 22 March 2020 07:38 AM

Hello, friends.

On the upside—our pride is getting humbler.

“Only the best of us will spend this new year becoming better.”  -  Brother Mario on Jan.5

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/religious-children-less-altruistic-secular-kids-study

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

22 March 2020 14:24

Hi, Mart

I’m in Massachusetts, so my family is pretty safe overall. I hope your family is also.

And I hope that couch is not actually under your ass.

Peace out

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16140
Joined  17-12-2006

22 March 2020 20:53

Some say religion is the only way,
It’s science, only science, others say.
But flowers don’t care
What perfumes they share
And freely turn their faces to the day.

We’re pretty lucky, virus-wise. Recently my wife read a book I’d been recommending to her for years, Connie Willis, Doomsday Book, a science fiction time travel tale with much of it taking part during the Black Death. She found it fascinating (and she’s not a SF fan at all). Then about a week ago while we were still in Tucson (with original plans to leave mid April and take a couple of weeks driving home through the 4-Corners area—quick change, left Wednesday and just got home to spend two weeks in isolation except for daily walks avoiding others)l Anyway, one of the nice things in the place we were renting in Tucson was that there was a channel on tv that was reshowing the entire five seasons of Babylon 5, one of my all time favourite programs. And the episode about a week ago dealt with a species specific plague on the space station. Close to home. One of the characters, the station head doctor, mentioned the Black Death. Of course people of that time had no clue what was going on, and he mentioned that many thought it was sent by the devil and so, because cats were associated with the devil, started killing cats…. Another character remarked that this was how humans tended to function, do an analysis on what they believed, and then doing exactly the wrong thing.

Anyway, I’m sitting on my smaller couch, a place I’ll become quite familiar with over the next couple of weeks. Time to focus in on some work.

Came across a new translation of Khayyam with a number of verses I hadn’t seen before. Here’s one to provoke multiple readings:

I saw a wastrel sitting on a patch of ground
Heedless of belief or unbelief or of the world around.
No Faith, no Truth, no Divine Law, no Certainty.
Where in the two worlds is such courage found?

[ Edited: 22 March 2020 22:11 by burt]

‹ First  < 168 169 170 171 172 >  Last ›