‹ First  < 170 171 172 173 > 

Brother Mario

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1260
Joined  26-02-2017

24 March 2020 21:03

It is a poker maxim that aggressive players win.

My style is to play the long tournament game, but when the cards and opportunity show up, be very aggressive and don’t look back.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

24 March 2020 21:19

I’ve been spending a lot of time during this stay-at-home period organizing my comics and listening to music on Pandora. It’s really worth the $5 a month for unlimited skips.

My favorite stations are Muse and Frank Sinatra, and my favorite songs nowadays, which I saved and listen to often, are Muse Uprising, Queens of the Stone Age No One Knows, Queen Don’t Stop Me Now, and Frank Sinatra My Foolish Heart.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4947
Joined  19-08-2010

25 March 2020 00:42

Brother Mario - 24 March 2020 09:19 PM

I’ve been spending a lot of time during this stay-at-home period organizing my comics and listening to music on Pandora. It’s really worth the $5 a month for unlimited skips.

My favorite stations are Muse and Frank Sinatra, and my favorite songs nowadays, which I saved and listen to often, are Muse Uprising, Queens of the Stone Age No One Knows, Queen Don’t Stop Me Now, and Frank Sinatra My Foolish Heart.

Some good choices there,I quite like Queens of the Stone Age, is Frank your guilty pleasure then Joe? Billy Joel is mine.

I’m frontline staff, so I’m still out there dealing face to face with the vulnerable, while feeling slightly vulnerable myself.

But when I do get home I’m making good use of my audible subscription and catching up on some books, a bit lazy I know, but living alone and not being able to visit family or friends, I suppose it’s a little bit of company for me. Maybe I should adopt a cat.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

25 March 2020 06:26

Hey, Mart

First off, don’t be alone. It’s just not good. God told us that. smile When I met my wife, I was living with three cats and two dogs, and I was a really happy guy. Of course, I was a pot head, which gives us a “baked” in happiness. But my animals became a big part of my life, and still are. I actually dream of them from time to time. And going through each of their deaths made me a better person each time. If you get two animals you free yourself up to leave them alone for longer periods of time. Or just get one aloof cat that likes to curl up near you from time to time.

I’m staying away from people, period. We can’t trust them to do the tough and smart thing. And I immediately sanitize whenever I get too close to one of the buggers.

The guitar work in Queens of the Stone Age is like Jimi Hendrix meets John McLaughlin. Muse just makes the coolest anthems. And Frank Sinatra has a dozen songs that I find too cool for school.

Stay safe out there.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16029
Joined  17-12-2006

25 March 2020 09:11

Different musical tastes, too. Sinatra is fine but never heard of Queens of the Stone Age. Just finished putting away the CDs my wife and I took with us to play on the road. Non-musically, a book on CD, Herodotus, The Persian Wars. Fascinating history. And a number of Stuart McLane Vinyl Cafe CDs (Canadian radio personality, highly recommended for humor, he has some of the funniest stories ever. Unfortunately he passed away far too soon about a year ago but his CDs are still available—google Vinyl Cafe). Then for music, John Fahey, Incredible String Band, Babatunde Olatunji, Afro Celt Sound System, Yma Sumac, Axiom of Choice (Persian fusion group), Pentangle, Hot Tuna, Bruce Cockburn, Phil Ochs, Chicago (the musical), and Angels of Venice.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4947
Joined  19-08-2010

25 March 2020 10:42

Brother Mario - 25 March 2020 06:26 AM

Hey, Mart

First off, don’t be alone. It’s just not good. God told us that. smile When I met my wife, I was living with three cats and two dogs, and I was a really happy guy. Of course, I was a pot head, which gives us a “baked” in happiness. But my animals became a big part of my life, and still are. I actually dream of them from time to time. And going through each of their deaths made me a better person each time. If you get two animals you free yourself up to leave them alone for longer periods of time. Or just get one aloof cat that likes to curl up near you from time to time.

I’m staying away from people, period. We can’t trust them to do the tough and smart thing. And I immediately sanitize whenever I get too close to one of the buggers.

The guitar work in Queens of the Stone Age is like Jimi Hendrix meets John McLaughlin. Muse just makes the coolest anthems. And Frank Sinatra has a dozen songs that I find too cool for school.

Stay safe out there.

You’re right Brother, a lazy old cat might just do the trick, we can both be aloof and generally snoozy, the gardens big enough, I just need a cat flap.

Have you heard of “Them Crooked Vultures”? It’s John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme. Homme adds that similar touch to this band on guitar as he does in Queens of the Stone Age, I quite like them too.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9024
Joined  20-02-2006

25 March 2020 11:51

MARTIN_UK - 25 March 2020 12:42 AM
Brother Mario - 24 March 2020 09:19 PM

Some good choices there,I quite like Queens of the Stone Age, is Frank your guilty pleasure then Joe? Billy Joel is mine.

I’m frontline staff, so I’m still out there dealing face to face with the vulnerable, while feeling slightly vulnerable myself.

But when I do get home I’m making good use of my audible subscription and catching up on some books, a bit lazy I know, but living alone and not being able to visit family or friends, I suppose it’s a little bit of company for me. Maybe I should adopt a cat.

Back to Penny Lane in Liverpool with Corden and McCartney.  Even if you’ve seen it a dozen times, don’t miss the pub scene at the end.  You know, the part where he gives the girl a shilling and tells her to put it in the jukebox.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

25 March 2020 11:54

Well, burt, until you prance around pumping your fist to Muse’s anthem Uprising, sit there amazed and delighted listening to Freddie Mercury’s vocal perfection in Don’t Stop Me Now, and experience the coo-coo coolness of Frank Sinatra singing My Foolish Heart (which was his last solo recording, by the way), you really haven’t lived.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

25 March 2020 12:13

Hey, Mart, I just listened to a few Vultures songs. I have to say that Queens of the Stone Age just seems to be running on all cylinders. And No One Knows is a truly amazing song. I’ve always found it nearly impossible to listen to a whole album by any group. Jethro Tull, my favorite band, was an exception, especially when their album was one continuous song.

Coincidentally, I had a cat that I named “Biggles” from off a Tull album.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

25 March 2020 12:17

LadyJane!

“from the steps [in] our spring”

Come on, man.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16029
Joined  17-12-2006

25 March 2020 14:48

Brother Mario - 25 March 2020 11:54 AM

Well, burt, until you prance around pumping your fist to Muse’s anthem Uprising, sit there amazed and delighted listening to Freddie Mercury’s vocal perfection in Don’t Stop Me Now, and experience the coo-coo coolness of Frank Sinatra singing My Foolish Heart (which was his last solo recording, by the way), you really haven’t lived.

May give it a try (excepting the prancing and fist pumping part, at my age not quite the same). I do recommend googling Vinyl Cafe, there’s even one of McLane’s stories that you can listen to, too. Dave and the Dentist. Might tempt you to purchase some of the CDs.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

26 March 2020 13:05

Steps in your spring?

Is that how you paint the second floor?

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

26 March 2020 13:12

It’s a play on the cliche “spring in your step”, which would have made her poem a bit more clever, imho.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

26 March 2020 13:33

The tenor was egress and not muscular compression. Ho hum. Consider your opinion humbled.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  01-11-2014

26 March 2020 16:04

unsmoked - 25 March 2020 11:51 AM

Back to Penny Lane in Liverpool with Corden and McCartney.  Even if you’ve seen it a dozen times, don’t miss the pub scene at the end.  You know, the part where he gives the girl a shilling and tells her to put it in the jukebox.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

That was fun to watch. 

Coincidentally, I’m on kind of a Beatles kick these days. It started about a week ago when I watched a movie on Amazon Prime named Yesterdays. It’s a kind of sci-fi/comedy movie, about a worldwide time shift that happens and alters reality in small ways. The main character, Jack Malik, quickly realizes that the band, The Beatles, never existed in this new reality, even though he has retained his memory of the way things were before the time shift occurred. Malik is a musician and singer who passes off the Beatles songs as his own, and subsequently becomes a super star, even though he feels guilty about it. There’s a touching scene where is tracks down John Lennon, who lived an alternate life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ONU_H0EjIg

The Beatles were like young gods when I was a kid. Everything they did was exciting and the world seemed to love them. They were the soundtrack to my childhood. I’ve been watching Beatles videos on youtube and listening to their music pretty steadily the past few days. I find them comforting, somehow. I’ll chalk it up to my personal reaction to the stressful situation we find ourselves in at this time.

‹ First  < 170 171 172 173 >