‹ First  < 173 174 175 176 177 >  Last ›

Brother Mario

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1536
Joined  01-11-2014

18 May 2020 10:38

Brother Mario - 17 May 2020 05:40 PM

burt, Mario has never used the word “faith” on this forum, to either support a believer or criticize a skeptic.

It is not a lack of faith in God that is our problem, but too much faith in ourself.

Jesus never said, “Have faith in God”, but, “Deny yourself”.

He actually accused his disciples, who left everything and followed him, of having no faith at all.

But a single prostitute, who washed his feet with her tears and dried them with her hair, he told had faith that saved her soul.

Skeptics are fools because they have faith in their intellects so much, they lose their true lives in a lifetime of mundane thoughts.

Kneel before God and weep for the prostitution of yourself you have committed for selfish temporary gain.

Then, and only then, will God touch your head, lift you up, and send you on a journey of a lifetime that never ends.

You know, Mario, a few of us do understand that the ego — the small self which is self-centered, full of opinions, thoughts and judgments — is mainly an illusion. Some of us get that there is a core within us which can be described as aware space, or no-self.

Aren’t we referring to the same thing, the same core, except that you filter it through Christianity and I interpret it with a different framework?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9140
Joined  20-02-2006

18 May 2020 11:15

Brother Mario - 15 May 2020 11:48 AM

And eternal life is one amazing bit of “make believe” that gives meaning to our lives and brings justice where there is none to be had.

Why make-believe stories give people like yourself comfort is a science question that skeptics discuss and try to answer .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0879751983/?tag=tbs242-20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_Am_Not_a_Christian

quote:  “Russell begins by defining what he means by the term Christian and sets out to explain why he does not “believe in God and in immortality” and why he does not “think that Christ was the best and wisest of men”, the two things he identifies as “essential to anybody calling himself a Christian”. He considers a number of logical arguments for the existence of God and goes into specifics about Christian theology. He argues ad absurdum against the “argument from design”, and favors Darwin’s theories.

Russell also expresses doubt over the historical existence of Jesus and questions the morality of religion, which is, in his view, predominantly based on fear.”  -  (end quote)

Could it be that the make-believe of eternal life (eternal life of one’s thoughts and memories) is based on fear of death?  https://www.art.com/products/p15064111966-sa-i6861328/charles-barsotti-no-sorry-you-ll-still-be-dumb-new-yorker-cartoon.htm

[ Edited: 18 May 2020 11:18 by unsmoked]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1287
Joined  26-02-2017

19 May 2020 13:06

Cat, an illusion is something that is not there at all, but only appears to be there. Our thinking and decisions are absolutely there, so cannot be illusions.

And the religion of “Christianity” is only an intellectual framework for the person who puts everything into an intellectual framework, which is obviously what you constantly do.

I tell you that I spent 7 years with God in constant communication and received many direct revelations, and you hear that I read about Jesus in the New Testament and had some weird experiences that I filtered through that.

My experiences of God that I claim to be direct and certain are not the same experiences of God that were mystical contemplations. The former were initiated by God and came to me suddenly, while the latter I sat prepared for.

Nowhere in your posts or in your mind do you leave room for God to be God, because you’ve already convinced yourself that God is doing nothing at all, and there is no spirit of God revealing actually God.

That’s on you. We’re not talking about the same thing but with different language. You’re talking about yourself and me, while I’m talking about God.

This is the self-denial that people just don’t understand.

God isn’t going to interrupt you as you’re very busy talking to yourself. Until you stop thinking about God and actually talk to him directly instead of yourself, you’ll never give him the opportunity to reveal himself to you “unfiltered” and within the “framework” of direct experience.

You seem interested in such a revelation. But you don’t seem interested in listening to anyone other than yourself, even if that other is God himself.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

19 May 2020 13:44

unsmoked, it’s rather comical that you consider yourself some sort of courageous human being for being an atheist who considers an eternal life to be nothing more than a security blanket.

This is your circular reasoning:

We only live a temporary physical life - We should therefore accept that when our body dies we die - We are cowards for wanting not to die when our body dies.

You have brainwashed yourself to such a degree that you can’t escape from this circle.

The ideas of an eternal life bringing you greater meaning and final justice cannot penetrate this circle.

You mention “science” as if it is a thing that must be the only thing for it to be valued. I’m quite certain that I know where scientific research fits into reality, and it’s not the end all be all you make it out to be.

Furthermore, every scientific discovery and every scientific reality points us towards God, not away from God.

But you wouldn’t know that because you have the philosophical acumen of an imbecile.

And that’s why I just wasted my time, again, on you and your mental shadow.

Going dark again ...

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

20 May 2020 10:59

Brother Mario - 19 May 2020 01:44 PM

You have brainwashed yourself to such a degree that you can’t escape from this circle.

Furthermore, every scientific discovery and every scientific reality points us towards God, not away from God.

You mean like the scientific discovery that a baby can be born from a virgin; you can change the weather by shouting at it; you can magically turn water into wine; a body can get up and walk away after being dead for several days?

God reaches out to an atheist - https://condenaststore.com/featured/gods-hand-touching-adams-hand-a-la-sistine-john-kane.html?product=acrylic-print

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

20 May 2020 18:27

Okay, unsmoked, since I wrote to you a long post, it really isn’t fair to you that I just ignore you after that. But I will ignore you after this response to your response. And I will address others in this response, since I still know you aren’t in touch with reality but stuck in your brainwashed circle.

Now ...

People, let’s dissect unsmoked’s response to me to see how his serious mental deficiencies support his atheism by telling himself things that simply aren’t true, but fit into his mental limitations.

The scientific discovery of Parthenogenesis has certainly given to the Virgin Birth a scientific foundation, and any intelligent person has to come to this conclusion.

Jesus did not “change the weather by shouting at it”, as unsmoked stupidly suggests. This is what happened:

Jesus reached out His hand and took hold of Peter. “You of little faith,” He said, “why did you doubt?” And when they had climbed back into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God!”

Changing water into wine is an act of adding wine’s similar molecules to water, not “magic”. Changing water into a lizard would be magical.

And Jesus’ Resurrection cannot intelligently be considered simply “a body can get up and walk away after being dead”. That’s not what the story says and that’s not what the Resurrection has become. Jesus was not simply “a man”, but the Son of God, the Alpha and Omega, humanity’s Messiah. His Resurrection changed human history from the moment it happened until today. How many human beings in the last 2,000 years have marched into battle, held their dying child, lay dying in bed, and on and on, with the real and true hope of an eternal life thanks to Jesus’ Resurrection? Who could measure the power to accept suffering and death humanity has received from the Resurrection? But, to unsmoked, it’s just “a body” that got up and walked away.

Yes. unsmoked is seriously limited and confused intellectually. But any of you “atheists” should take his example as a warning, for it is not insignificant that his twisted thinking is very similar to your own, with just an added molecule or two.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

21 May 2020 10:48

Brother Mario - 20 May 2020 06:27 PM

Okay, unsmoked, since I wrote to you a long post, it really isn’t fair to you that I just ignore you after that. But I will ignore you after this response to your response. And I will address others in this response, since I still know you aren’t in touch with reality but stuck in your brainwashed circle.

Now ...

People, let’s dissect unsmoked’s response to me to see how his serious mental deficiencies support his atheism by telling himself things that simply aren’t true, but fit into his mental limitations.

The scientific discovery of Parthenogenesis has certainly given to the Virgin Birth a scientific foundation, and any intelligent person has to come to this conclusion.

Jesus did not “change the weather by shouting at it”, as unsmoked stupidly suggests. This is what happened:

Jesus reached out His hand and took hold of Peter. “You of little faith,” He said, “why did you doubt?” And when they had climbed back into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God!”

Changing water into wine is an act of adding wine’s similar molecules to water, not “magic”. Changing water into a lizard would be magical.

And Jesus’ Resurrection cannot intelligently be considered simply “a body can get up and walk away after being dead”. That’s not what the story says and that’s not what the Resurrection has become. Jesus was not simply “a man”, but the Son of God, the Alpha and Omega, humanity’s Messiah. His Resurrection changed human history from the moment it happened until today. How many human beings in the last 2,000 years have marched into battle, held their dying child, lay dying in bed, and on and on, with the real and true hope of an eternal life thanks to Jesus’ Resurrection? Who could measure the power to accept suffering and death humanity has received from the Resurrection? But, to unsmoked, it’s just “a body” that got up and walked away.

Yes. unsmoked is seriously limited and confused intellectually. But any of you “atheists” should take his example as a warning, for it is not insignificant that his twisted thinking is very similar to your own, with just an added molecule or two.

Mario, as you know, this cartoon is based on a detail from Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel painting.  https://condenaststore.com/featured/gods-hand-touching-adams-hand-a-la-sistine-john-kane.html?product=acrylic-print

As such, we can say the cartoon is about the ‘personality’ of the Christian God.  My take on it is that for an atheist or skeptic to believe in the Christian God, to be loved and ‘welcomed’ by the Christian God, they have to accept all kinds of make-believe Bible stories which you mention here.  In this cartoon, the buzzer in God’s hand represents the make-believe stories.  In other words, to be a Christian, or someone like yourself, give up science, reality and common sense and then God will take your hand the way (you think) He has taken your hand. 

The way you conflate science and make-believe stories is a wonder in itself.  Is heaven changing to keep up with technology and science, or sticking with its 2000 year-old customs and decor?  https://www.art.com/products/p15063395229-sa-i6848396/drew-dernavich-it-s-cool-but-you-kinda-miss-the-trumpet-fanfare-right-sign-welcome-new-yorker-cartoon.htm

Since you insult and denigrate today’s most influential science writers, how do you expect any of us here to take your venom seriously?

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

22 May 2020 09:30

burt, what good is it to “keep seeking” if you never realize that you “found” something? That’s just nonsense.

Furthermore, who is the person that is on a greater journey—the person who doesn’t arrive anywhere, or the person who arrives at one amazing destination after the next?

And then there are the deeper realities of a person’s life.

To claim to have wisdom and spirituality, but not to have wise and spiritual convictions revealing what it is to be a wise and spiritual human being, is simply bullshit.

Socrates, who sounds a lot like one of us, put it this way: “Worthless people love only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.”

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16097
Joined  17-12-2006

22 May 2020 11:07

Brother Mario - 22 May 2020 09:30 AM

burt, what good is it to “keep seeking” if you never realize that you “found” something? That’s just nonsense.

Furthermore, who is the person that is on a greater journey—the person who doesn’t arrive anywhere, or the person who arrives at one amazing destination after the next?

And then there are the deeper realities of a person’s life.

To claim to have wisdom and spirituality, but not to have wise and spiritual convictions revealing what it is to be a wise and spiritual human being, is simply bullshit.

Socrates, who sounds a lot like one of us, put it this way: “Worthless people love only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.”

Since you like Socrates so much, go back and read The Symposium (attending to Diotima) and the Apology. Any dogmatic theology is just a construct of concepts and language, which is to say, at best a signpost, more often a prison offering the comfort and complacency of dogmatic slumber. There are different ways and levels of seeking. Wittgenstein said: “Tell me how you are seeking and I will tell you what you are seeking for.” Attitude is essential. In a philosophical essay Omar Khayyam identified four ways of seeking knowledge: following authority, debate and intellectual dispute, following an enlightened teacher, and the way of the Sufi (cleansing the inner self, clarifying values and morals so that the spiritual forms are perceived with clarity). He said this last is the best. If you want to seek knowledge, be sure that the instrument you are using functions without bias. If you want to be a house painter you’ve got to learn the physical skills and intellectual understanding involved, but if you want to be a first rate house painter you have to develop the right attitude and the internal clarity to see possibilities beyond repetitive and mechanical work. Seeking knowledge is the same. One has to develop the perceptual and intellectual skills but if that’s all, the process eventually grinds to a halt with some dogmatic system, or with relativism and atheism (with a long career in academia I’ve seen plenty of both). Seeing the world fresh everyday is a stroll through a garden.

In dim and distant times that we call youth
I styled myself a shrewd and mystic sleuth.
It was truth that I sought
But the truth that I got
Was not to finally find but become truth.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

22 May 2020 13:16

burt, why are you blind to the reality of human life and never quote the greatest person who ever lived, but only see and quote small footnotes to human history?

No, my friend, I can’t go backwards to my undergraduate years and spiritual infancy, and find deeply meaningful something so intellectually dry and rattling as what you just wrote above.

Here’s how Augustine, who sounds a lot like one of us, put it:

“I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: ‘Come to me all you that labor and are heavy burdened’.”

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

23 May 2020 11:22

Brother Mario - 22 May 2020 01:16 PM

burt, why are you blind to the reality of human life and never quote the greatest person who ever lived, but only see and quote small footnotes to human history?

No, my friend, I can’t go backwards to my undergraduate years and spiritual infancy, and find deeply meaningful something so intellectually dry and rattling as what you just wrote above.

“I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: ‘Come to me all you that labor and are heavy burdened’.”

If Plato and Cicero said anything like that they wouldn’t be philosophers.  They’d be cult leaders.

philosophy  noun

the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

cult  noun

1.  a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

Quote from one of the last paragraphs in this article:  “Grandiose delusions frequently serve a very positive function for the person by sustaining or increasing their self-esteem. As a result, it is important to consider what the consequences of removing the grandiose delusion are on self-esteem when trying to modify the grandiose delusion in therapy.  In many instances of grandiosity it is suitable to go for a fractional rather than a total modification, which permits those elements of the delusion that are central for self-esteem to be preserved. For example, a person who believes they are a senior secret service agent gains a great sense of self-esteem and purpose from this belief, thus until this sense of self-esteem can be provided from elsewhere, it is best not to attempt modification.”

[ Edited: 23 May 2020 11:49 by unsmoked]

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

23 May 2020 20:07

Brother Mario - 22 May 2020 01:16 PM

Sorry, but your dogmatic certainty is the ceiling of your possibilities. It may seem a Sistine Chapel to your, but above is the open sky of infinite reality.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

23 May 2020 21:23

“infinite reality” is a dogma

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6589
Joined  22-02-2005

24 May 2020 06:44

It is heartwarming how this forum can bring similar people with differing backgrounds together.

We find the commonality of the poet and painter. Or limmerist and protective coating applicator.

Be they from a monastery or Tehran, be it seven years or the seventies, Mr Merton or Mr. Khayyam, we know kindred spirits when we see them.

If you lads are bored, you could try to reconcile the Problem of Qualia with these declarations of how other people feel when they hold an opinion or believe something. The self-esteem is there for readers to see. What is it like?

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

24 May 2020 09:45

Brother Mario - 23 May 2020 09:23 PM

“infinite reality” is a dogma

It’s a word for and a pointer to an experience.

‹ First  < 173 174 175 176 177 >  Last ›