‹ First  < 177 178 179

Brother Mario

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9438
Joined  20-02-2006

14 August 2020 11:56

Brother Mario - 13 August 2020 05:48 PM

And in your apology you again used the name of the greatest person who ever lived as a joke. So, what does that say about your value as a person?

I’ve never lied to you because the greatest person who ever lived is my role model, not my face in the mirror.

And get a better role model than your face in the mirror.

Brother Mario - 14 August 2020 09:09 AM
I didn’t respond to give you time to reconsider being a totally poor excuse for a human being.

Your August 14 remark sounds like Trump.  Is he the role model you keep referring to?

Further, what do you need a role model for?  Was your 3 billion years of evolution all for nothing?  God worked on your development for 3 billion years and you still can’t manage without a role model?

[ Edited: 16 August 2020 16:52 by unsmoked]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

17 August 2020 10:11

I mean, God worked on your development for over 3,000,000,000 years and ended up with a Catholic bigot who bad-mouths everyone who isn’t a Catholic bigot.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1298
Joined  26-02-2017

12 October 2020 09:52

Hello, fuzzballs.

Just sitting here enjoying a day off in a drizzling Massachusetts.

I do realize when I log-in that I miss you people. I guess it’s a natural reaction since we’ve spent so many years together. Of course, if you didn’t eagerly click on this new post of mine, then you didn’t miss me at all. But if you did, well ...

Now, I see that many of the forum’s legendary characters have disappeared, which is kinda weird considering how friendly you all were with each other. Bruce is one guy I can’t wrap my head around wandering off. Burt is a surprise, too. GAD must have gotten a girlfriend ... a horrible thought, right, LJ? SkepticX never was the same after he and I got along for a bit.

Anyway ...

I read through Ron’s and some number guy’s debate about God and Christianity. It was like listening to junior high school potheads trying to be college professors. It was bad. And it was a perfect example of the useless contributions of today’s inexperienced and uneducated “critical thinkers” who have so little going on in their lives outside of the thoughts bouncing around in their heads.

I read through much of the COVID and Political stuff, which seems to be the forum’s new direction. This is a good direction, because this is certainly where the experiences of the people here take place. Talking about God was never a good idea, and no one knows it more than me. The whole “pearls before swine” thing took on a life of its own around here.

So ...

I’m off into oblivion again. The wife’s downstairs on the treadmill, the dog’s outside on the deck, and I’m sitting in the family room watching intellectual politicians in the confirmation hearing of Amy Barrett arguing both sides of an argument and getting absolutely nowhere. The irony of the pro-choice democrats being the compassionate and spiritual intellectuals, while the pro-life republicans being the heartless and worldly intellectuals, is concrete proof that intellectualism’s “critical thinking”, left to itself, is a useless exercise when great actions are needed to move humanity forward.

How ridiculous it is that the only hope we have for our judicial future is the image of little Catholic Amy wearing a mask the whole time.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16165
Joined  17-12-2006

13 October 2020 08:59

Was wondering if you’d gone for good. I still pop back once in a while, have been more involved in online bridge and poker. The local poker league here went to online tournaments in May and I do sit and go games on club WPT. Last night was a real slog, started out with 44 entries and 5,000 in chips and things never seemed to connect, other than at moments of desperation. Which is to say I was usually among the last of the remaining players, barely surviving. Then, after a long time as 12th out of the last 12 got to the final table and somehow ended up third. Sunday evenings there is an Omaha game. Have played five times: two wins, a 4th, 6th, and 9th. Not bad.

You must be in the depths of boredom if you’re actually watching politics on tv (plus posting here again).

We’ve taken to making small 2-3 day trips to local resorts as a substitute for our usual travel. Spent a couple of days at a place up the coast called Point No Point. I chose it because of the name, there is a lesson in it. It was named by a geological survey some 150 years ago. If you approach on the water from the East you see a point of land. If you approach from the west, there is no point, just a continuation of coastline. So whether or not there’s a point to it depends on how you approach. There’s you dose of metaphysics for the day. Our other trip so far was to a local island and a place called Poet’s Cove. I thought it fitting since my book of illustrated limericks is sitting at a publisher and I’m waiting for their decision.

Cheers

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

13 October 2020 12:01

Hello, Professor Burt.

How can I be “gone for good” when so much of what I shared here for years has been aimed deep inside of anyone who read it? smile And I wouldn’t be so stupid to make a dramatic statement about my departure, or anything else about myself, such as being a “liberal”. And I’m actually quite fond of this place because of so much time spent here with certain characters. You being one of course, though I wish you were your brother. wink Nope, I’m not gone for good.

Good job at poker. I just don’t have the time. I actually played online last night one game, and came in second when a guy chased a flush to the river. I’m saving this skill for retirement. I’m gonna put like five grand in a stake and try to blow it up. I’m working too many days and making too much money to play for hours and tune up my skills.

Politics doesn’t bore me; it pisses me off. So much time and energy spent on ego trips, and lying, and worldly agendas, and looking at Donald Trump. Man, that guy is a fucking moron. I couldn’t stand him for 50 years. I couldn’t stand the Clintons, either, especially Hillary. I told my wife in 2015 that she would never be President because she was excruciatingly inauthentic. It was Biden’s time. He should have man-upped and became President even while he was suffering from the loss of son. We’ll see if he can do it this time. He does seem animated enough.

Good luck on your book. I’ve got about 20 of them started. It’s so hard to write something complete and cohesive all the way through. Poe said that every sentence must be joined together to drive the story toward a rewarding conclusion, or something like that. Not easy.

Your Point No Point sounds like there’s an impassable mountain in the way from the West. I like the name.

Maybe the “legendary characters” should come back this winter and spend a month or two bringing a dose of melancholy to the place. I’ll show up to throw s… out of my cage.

Enjoy your travels, which I’m sure you do anyway.

I’m a different sort. I just like sitting home on a rainy day, like today, and watching my dog chew a bone and my wife enjoying her retirement. To see her not having to get up at 6:00 am, like she did her whole life, and babysitting her 5th grandchild are all the sights I need to see.

Ciao ...

[ Edited: 13 October 2020 17:09 by Brother Mario]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

14 October 2020 13:42

Brother Mario - 12 October 2020 09:52 AM

..I read through Ron’s and some number guy’s debate about God and Christianity. It was like listening to junior high school potheads trying to be college professors. It was bad. And it was a perfect example of the useless contributions of today’s inexperienced and uneducated “critical thinkers” who have so little going on in their lives outside of the thoughts bouncing around in their heads.

. . .  Talking about God was never a good idea, and no one knows it more than me. The whole “pearls before swine” thing took on a life of its own around here.

Mario,

speaking of casting your pearls before swine, there’s your unappreciated contribution to medical breakthroughs.  Several college degrees have helped you to discover that the cure for Alzheimer’s, is simply to die.  You and the billion or so other religious researchers who discovered this should share the Nobel Prize in Medicine.  The pudding is in the proof?

quote:

“The laws of physics that apply to the human brain are practically complete, so short of an improbable future revolution (on par with discovering the sun is on the other side of the universe, is pink, cold, and really shaped like a man sitting in a chair), there’s no second physics that uniquely applies to the brain where consciousness could plausibly hide. There’s no dismissing this point either, as the only real alternative is an insubstantial appeal to mysterious mind-magic mysticism, which is just restating the problem rather than explaining it.

Lastly, since no evidence has arisen to suggest consciousness persists after death (unfakeable post-humous messages, for instance), and since the strongest argument for any kind of consciousness dualism is merely that it’s possible – which isn’t, when you get down to it, so much an argument as a fallacious appeal to ignorance – then the rational conclusion is that consciousness dies along with the brain. So in fact, arguing to the contrary in spite of such evidence is, I’m sorry to say, some combination of personal ignorance and blatant wishful thinking.”

quoted from https://www.richarddawkins.net/2014/07/what-should-we-think-about-death/  (scroll down to Zeuglodon’s post)

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

18 October 2020 14:44

unsmoked, I’ve told you this before—thought, consciousness, etc. are only seated in our physical brains, not our physical brains. Our ability “to think” with a functioning brain is not the essence of consciousness but the physical application of consciousness in a physical universe, God’s physical universe, so under the umbrella of God’s physical laws, imperfections, and limitations.

Dawkins using instruments to map the parameters and limitations of a functioning brain doesn’t nullify the greater divine essence of consciousness. He would have to reverse engineer a single thought to achieve that.

And the sheer absurdity of such a thing that we all experience when we entertain it makes his position of our consciousness ending when our brain shuts off the position that is “wishful thinking”.

Look up “materialism” and the history of thinkers who ascribed to it. You won’t find Aristotle, or any truly great thinker who human history rewarded.

Dawkins is as insignificant as Harris is, and they both are rewarded by only insignificant people like you.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

19 October 2020 18:28

Brother Mario - 18 October 2020 02:44 PM

unsmoked, I’ve told you this before—thought, consciousness, etc. are only seated in our physical brains, not our physical brains. Our ability “to think” with a functioning brain is not the essence of consciousness but the physical application of consciousness in a physical universe, God’s physical universe, so under the umbrella of God’s physical laws, imperfections, and limitations.

Dawkins using instruments to map the parameters and limitations of a functioning brain doesn’t nullify the greater divine essence of consciousness. He would have to reverse engineer a single thought to achieve that.

And the sheer absurdity of such a thing that we all experience when we entertain it makes his position of our consciousness ending when our brain shuts off the position that is “wishful thinking”.

Look up “materialism” and the history of thinkers who ascribed to it. You won’t find Aristotle, or any truly great thinker who human history rewarded.

Dawkins is as insignificant as Harris is, and they both are rewarded by only insignificant people like you.

Mario, I wonder if, like Trump, you consider yourself to be a very stable genius?  Could you answer this question with a ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

Would you agree that the U.S. is a theocracy and that’s why people like Trump get elected?  (calling scientists ‘idiots’ - calling climate change caused by humans ‘a hoax’ . . . a country where, according to Sam Harris, only 28% of the population believes that evolution is true.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

19 October 2020 20:49

unsmoked, your sense of wonder needs work.

I’m quite certain that I am about 100 times more understanding of science than you could ever hope to be.

You quote Dawkins and Harris and the Dictionary.

I quote Bacon and Pierre Lecomte du Nouy and the Metaphysics.

And the reason why this conversation with you is excruciatingly poor is because you haven’t an intellect that can understand my last reply to you about the intellectual bankruptcy of “materialism”.

I gave you another chance to be someone other than a Sam Harris groupie unable to think beyond his nose.

Well, I didn’t really—I knew that your ability to surprise me was even more unrealistic than your ability to be surprised by me.

You will die like Trump—unable to recognize God even when you meet him.

And also on that day you will finally experience surprise.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

20 October 2020 13:13

Brother Mario - 19 October 2020 08:49 PM

unsmoked . . . [in answer to your question]  I’m quite certain that I am about 100 times more understanding of science than you could ever hope to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

You do sound like a very stable genius.  As with Trump, anyone who questions your genius is threatened, and vilified with the language of a 4th grade playground bully.

vilify  verb

speak or write about in an abusively disparaging manner.

[ Edited: 20 October 2020 13:16 by unsmoked]

‹ First  < 177 178 179