‹ First  < 181 182 183

Brother Mario

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1326
Joined  26-02-2017

02 November 2020 13:44

unsmoked, your inability to think beyond your nose makes this conversation useless.

I have written many times about becoming fully alive and never about hellfire. In fact, I have never written about hell. But you haven’t the intellect to remember anything other than Harris quotes and pop psychology ideas relating to knowledge and love of God.

And I have never written about God’s appearance because that would be idiotic. Even Jesus said that “No one has seen God”.

And for you to take my claim of spending 7 1/2 years alone with God in ceaseless prayer with numerous concrete revelations initiated by God himself as LSD repercussions is just you taking all such claims, and human history is full of them, as impossible to be true.

But you trust some claims, don’t you?

Harris used LSD, but you trust him.

Freud was a drug addict, but you trust him.

Eastern religions that are missing God you trust.

But you don’t trust the greatest person who ever lived, who said the same things I’m saying, claimed the same things I’m claiming.

No. You trust yourself and any insignificant person or religion that agrees with you.

Look in the mirror and at your life, then ask yourself “why?”

[ Edited: 02 November 2020 17:46 by Brother Mario]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9520
Joined  20-02-2006

03 November 2020 09:41

Brother Mario - 02 November 2020 01:44 PM

unsmoked . . .

And for you to take my claim of spending 7 1/2 years alone with God in ceaseless prayer with numerous concrete revelations initiated by God himself as LSD repercussions is just you taking all such claims, and human history is full of them, as impossible to be true.

. . . But you don’t trust the greatest person who ever lived, who said the same things I’m saying, claimed the same things I’m claiming.

Look in the mirror and at your life, then ask yourself “why?”

Mario,

It’s as though you and Trump went to the same school for playground bullies.

“Bye, unsmoked. Good luck with your GD—gooey discharge.”  -  Brother Mario, November 1, 2020

“You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes,” Trump told CNN’s Don Lemon on Friday night. “Blood coming out of her wherever.”  -  (Trump, circa August 2015)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

According to the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria for delusional disorders, grandiose-type symptoms include astronomically exaggerated beliefs of:

self-worth, power. knowledge, identity,exceptional relationship to a deity or famous person.

[ Edited: 03 November 2020 09:50 by unsmoked]

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16192
Joined  17-12-2006

05 November 2020 23:05

Joe, what do you, with your background in Catholic theology and medieval philosophy have to say about William of Oakham? Just looking for an at least semi-informed opinion. Cheers

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

06 November 2020 05:58

burt, I know where you’re going with this question.

Here’s the thing:

My background is in all of theology and all of philosophy because I have dedicated myself to becoming educated and experienced in these SCIENCES.

Skeptics without an education in, and who have actually run away from, these SCIENCES, have in their limited intellects the idea that the existence of God as a logical explanation for great unknown things, such as the existence of the physical universe and life and a conscious thought and a feeling of love, is a complicated explanation, while the claim that all such unknowns have the simplest explanation in the elements being acted upon by physical forces over the passing of a very long period of time.

You have three choices—believe skeptics or people like me or go find out for yourself.

Physical sciences have only unproven theories from limited sources to provide you answers to great unknown questions. And these sciences, when observed without a limited education in them, have never failed to support the existence of God.

Oakham’s Razor is best wielded by a person holding Aristotle’s Metaphysics in his other hand.

And if it is my claim of knowing God through experiencing God directly and being “like” God that is bothering you, and you’re looking for a contemporary of Oakham, I would direct you to John Duns Scotus. He will eloquently tell you why I am claiming what I do.

[ Edited: 06 November 2020 06:08 by Brother Mario]

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

06 November 2020 08:29

Brother Mario - 06 November 2020 05:58 AM

burt, I know where you’re going with this question.

Here’s the thing:

My background is in all of theology and all of philosophy because I have dedicated myself to becoming educated and experienced in these SCIENCES.

Skeptics without an education in, and who have actually run away from, these SCIENCES, have in their limited intellects the idea that the existence of God as a logical explanation for great unknown things, such as the existence of the physical universe and life and a conscious thought and a feeling of love, is a complicated explanation, while the claim that all such unknowns have the simplest explanation in the elements being acted upon by physical forces over the passing of a very long period of time.

You have three choices—believe skeptics or people like me or go find out for yourself.

Physical sciences have only unproven theories from limited sources to provide you answers to great unknown questions. And these sciences, when observed without a limited education in them, have never failed to support the existence of God.

Oakham’s Razor is best wielded by a person holding Aristotle’s Metaphysics in his other hand.

And if it is my claim of knowing God through experiencing God directly and being “like” God that is bothering you, and you’re looking for a contemporary of Oakham, I would direct you to John Duns Scotus. He will eloquently tell you why I am claiming what I do.

No, that’s not where I was going, don’t be so paranoid. I’m looking at the historical arc from the rise of Aristotelianism as the paradigm for natural science in Europe to the transition through Renaissance natural magic into Newtonianism; comparing this to the development of natural philosophy in Greece from Thales to Aristotle. Some of my sources (e.g., historians of the medieval period) treat Oakham as a sort of anti-Plato but my take is that he played a role similar to Parmenides. I figured you might have something interesting to say about him.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

06 November 2020 17:05

To be honest, burt, Oakham never interested me much, so I don’t have much to say about him.

John Duns Scotus, Peter of Alcantra, Aquinas, Bonaventure—these medieval thinkers, among others, were the ones I spent time reading and learning from.

So I don’t think I can help you, without looking up Oakham and commenting on his thinking.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

06 November 2020 18:19

Brother Mario - 06 November 2020 05:05 PM

To be honest, burt, Oakham never interested me much, so I don’t have much to say about him.

John Duns Scotus, Peter of Alcantra, Aquinas, Bonaventure—these medieval thinkers, among others, were the ones I spent time reading and learning from.

So I don’t think I can help you, without looking up Oakham and commenting on his thinking.

Okay, thought you might have an interest in him. From what I’ve studied, a main effect he had was to separate theology and natural philosophy with the argument that because God could do anything short of a direct contradiction, Aristotelian natural philosophy was incapable of achieving the certainty of syllogistic demonstration when discussing the world. So all philosophical speculations were uncertain. Parmenides did something similar, arguing that all theorizing was, at bottom, a matter of opinion.

Stay healthy, and hoist a toast to Trump’s departure.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9520
Joined  20-02-2006

07 November 2020 11:52

Brother Mario - 06 November 2020 05:58 AM

And if it is my claim of knowing God through experiencing God directly and being “like” God that is bothering you . . .

Mario, since you experience God directly and are “like” God, are you able to tell us simply and directly what God says to you today?  Since this is, generally speaking, an atheist forum, is it possible for you to post here without feeling that you are casting pearls before swine?  (which would be God’s pearls if your relationship with Him is as you say)

“Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.”  -  Jesus (John 15:6)

Does God still feel this way about us?  No love for his enemies?  No forgiveness if we die insisting that Nature or the Great Spirit created everything rather than the Christian notion of God that you experience and are like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Spirit

“According to Lakota activist Russell Means, a more semantically accurate translation of Wakan Tanka is the Great Mystery.”

mystery  noun

1.  something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain.

[ Edited: 07 November 2020 11:54 by unsmoked]

‹ First  < 181 182 183