‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

Brother Mario

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16131
Joined  17-12-2006

17 April 2017 17:20

Brother Mario - 17 April 2017 02:36 PM

burt, read your post to see the confused mess you are posing as some sort of humble wisdom.

I am not filled with pride by telling you that I had experiences of God, sacrificed much, and made sure I got the proper education to understand well all that my experiences and sacrifice revealed to me.

In fact, I don’t feel a thing when I write to people about God. It’s far more of a duty than anything else.

Now, if you saw me paint a house ...

No, the pride is in the belief that you are philosophically brilliant and you have your metaphysical principles to lean on. But then you get defensive when asked how you might deal with potential counter-examples to their validity. I’ll agree that you are “not filled with pride by telling you that I had experiences of God, sacrificed much, and made sure I got the proper education to understand well all that my experiences and sacrifice revealed to me” but I can point out that your “proper education” seems to me to be more like trying to fit the experiences into a framework that isn’t really sufficient although it does give a sense of meaning (I’d say the same thing if you had settled on a Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic, or other framework, including a materialistic science one). Just a bird in a gilded cage, as it were.

The bird in the rib cage beats to be free
Yet trembles at the possibility.
Huddled in its cage
It waits for a mage
To wave the wand that frees it magically.

On the other hand, had I a house to paint I’m sure you’d do a bang up job.

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Total Posts:  1290
Joined  26-02-2017

18 April 2017 04:50

burt, a tree is know by its fruit, not by how it doesn’t resemble other trees.

If you find it difficult, if not impossible, to give of your time or go into your pockets to give of your money, then your freedom from all dogmas has failed to make you a person worth his salt.

A detatched intellectual evaluation of dogma doesn’t make any sense. Where’s the beef?

Do you know and love God or not?

If you believe that God cannot be known nor loved as a divine infinite being who reveals himself in human history, this belief is itself a dogma.

Traveling the world seems to be where you have landed, not the adventure of seeking the kingdom of God within you.

Reading obscure philosophers seems to be where you have landed, not the reading of the Gospels that have become humanity’s greatest faith, hope, and love.

Do you really believe that your academic pursuits and personal journeys have given to you the true path to follow? Really?

Then go to a children’s hospital and share your great wisdom with the parents of suffering and dying children there. I’ve done this, with much success.

Go share your wisdom with a young man who joins a gang because he’s angry that he and his family live in a hell hole. I’ve done this also, and received phone calls years later from grateful men who changed their lives.

And on and on.

If your wisdom is free and easy because it only gives to you the freedom to write poetry and keep your money for the next trip to a restaurant, then you can have it. I want to work for something greater than another meal in some different place.

Here’s the part of the Gospel that you haven’t read because it’s too hard to read:

“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert and pray! You do not know when that time will come. It’s like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with their assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch. Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’?”

[ Edited: 18 April 2017 04:53 by Brother Mario]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

18 April 2017 05:12

Lausten, you’re falling into atheist talking points instead of standing tall in the conversation.

I have never mentioned what I “believe”, only what I have experienced, sacrificed for, and educated myself in.

The atheist talking point that all experiencing, knowing, and understanding God is just an act of faith without tangible realities is the epitome of psychological projection.

You came up empty in your search for God? So what?

What do you think that means?

Are you the measure of me?

Is your lack of finding God the measure of what a search for God becomes?

I think you should spend more time in the mirror questioning that guy than on the Internet questioning this guy.

I will spend my day today with God on so many levels, from the best of things to the worst of things. Why would you suggest that the fullness of life I get from my life with God is in need of your correction?

I wear a black stocking hat with “Joe Mello Painting” written across the front. Should I erase my company’s name to wear a plain hat because you don’t own a company and therefore only wear plain hats?

Anyway ...

Off to work ... and a full day.

Lausten

Lausten
Total Posts:  268
Joined  12-09-2016

18 April 2017 07:42

Those are all interesting questions, and I’ve tried to ask them in different ways before, but you just keep doing what you do. Like taking one word out of my post and making that the theme of my entire life and everything I stand for.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16131
Joined  17-12-2006

18 April 2017 08:08

Brother Mario - 18 April 2017 04:50 AM

burt, a tree is know by its fruit, not by how it doesn’t resemble other trees.

If you find it difficult, if not impossible, to give of your time or go into your pockets to give of your money, then your freedom from all dogmas has failed to make you a person worth his salt.

A detatched intellectual evaluation of dogma doesn’t make any sense. Where’s the beef?

Do you know and love God or not?

If you believe that God cannot be known nor loved as a divine infinite being who reveals himself in human history, this belief is itself a dogma.

Traveling the world seems to be where you have landed, not the adventure of seeking the kingdom of God within you.

Reading obscure philosophers seems to be where you have landed, not the reading of the Gospels that have become humanity’s greatest faith, hope, and love.

Do you really believe that your academic pursuits and personal journeys have given to you the true path to follow? Really?

Then go to a children’s hospital and share your great wisdom with the parents of suffering and dying children there. I’ve done this, with much success.

Go share your wisdom with a young man who joins a gang because he’s angry that he and his family live in a hell hole. I’ve done this also, and received phone calls years later from grateful men who changed their lives.

And on and on.

If your wisdom is free and easy because it only gives to you the freedom to write poetry and keep your money for the next trip to a restaurant, then you can have it. I want to work for something greater than another meal in some different place.

Here’s the part of the Gospel that you haven’t read because it’s too hard to read:

“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert and pray! You do not know when that time will come. It’s like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with their assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch. Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’?”

This is all very good and stuff, but a non sequitur as far as the question of your cherished metaphysical principles. The question is not whether or not you are a decent, God-fearing person who does what he can to benefit his fellow human beings. It is whether you are able, in philosophical conversation, to defend certain claims that you have made. Or whether you have simply taken on what the seminarians instilled in you in a dogmatic fashion. Since you’ve shifted to an ad hominem approach, I’m guessing the latter. https://aeon.co/ideas/why-is-the-brain-prone-to-florid-forms-of-confabulation

[ Edited: 18 April 2017 08:27 by burt]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6609
Joined  22-02-2005

18 April 2017 08:21

Our newer members may not know that there is an available example of an actual conversation with Joe. It was recorded last year on April Fool’s Day.

Getting to know his voice makes his posts easier to read. We’re still grateful for his participation.

Special Edition: A Foretaste of Heaven

Slow down, folks! Host Baby has suddenly crashed.

[ Edited: 18 April 2017 08:51 by Nhoj Morley]

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5007
Joined  19-08-2010

18 April 2017 09:24

I love that Boston accent…

What was the other famous rock band that came out of Boston?

Magda

Magda
Total Posts:  633
Joined  01-12-2014

18 April 2017 11:25

MARTIN_UK - 18 April 2017 09:24 AM

I think Nhoj should record some bedtime stories - I would buy them.

Mario’s accent is so funny. When he says ‘star’ it cracks me up. I can barely understand what he is saying half the time - guessing he wouldn’t be able to understand me either.

Americans are weird aren’t they.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5007
Joined  19-08-2010

18 April 2017 11:30

Magda - 18 April 2017 11:25 AM

Mario’s accent is so funny. When he says ‘star’ it cracks me up. I can barely understand what he is saying half the time - guessing he wouldn’t be able to understand me either.

Yes, a few Jackanorys would be good from Nhoj.

And yes, they are weird, I would love to borrow one every now and then, just as long as I could give them back when I’m done. smile

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

18 April 2017 11:44

Aerosmith. Or The Cars, or the Pixies. 

http://archive.boston.com/ae/music/packages/topbostonacts/

[ Edited: 18 April 2017 12:50 by EN]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3503
Joined  21-10-2016

18 April 2017 13:22

Yes, they are ... but very entertaining.  wink

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1118
Joined  12-07-2016

18 April 2017 15:22

MARTIN_UK - 18 April 2017 11:30 AM

And yes, they are weird, I would love to borrow one every now and then, just as long as I could give them back when I’m done. smile

You can! Target the ones near the expiry date of their tourist or student visas.  If things don’t work out, for the price of an anonymous phonecall you can just report them to the authorities. It always works for me.

That was an enjoyable conversation, Nhoj and Mario. Thank you for sharing.

Magda

Magda
Joined  01-12-2014

18 April 2017 15:40

Ola - 18 April 2017 03:22 PM

You can! Target the ones near the expiry date of their tourist or student visas.  If things don’t work out, for the price of an anonymous phonecall you can just report them to the authorities. It always works for me.

That was an enjoyable conversation, Nhoj and Mario. Thank you for sharing.

You could borrow one from the SH forum, most of them are near their expiry date.

I

Magda

Magda
Joined  01-12-2014

18 April 2017 15:42

Magda - 18 April 2017 03:40 PM
Ola - 18 April 2017 03:22 PM

I’ll have to find a nice story for him to read. The Gruffalo?

[ Edited: 18 April 2017 15:44 by Magda]

Brother Mario

Brother Mario
Joined  26-02-2017

18 April 2017 16:16

Good times, Nhoj, good times ...

I have some stories about those Boston bands:

In 1973, I was driving a 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe with a big 8-track player hanging underneath the dash. That summer Aerosmith’s debut album came out in June, and I played it basically all the time. One summer day that year I drove up to the Boston Common to see a concert there featuring The Allman Brothers Band. (J. Geils jammed with them to “Stormy Monday”, which was cool.) As I walked through the park to the venue, I saw this band setting up in the grass. I walked over and struck up a conversation with a dude tying up long scarfs to his mic stand. He told me who he was, Steve Tyler, and who the band was, Aerosmith. I told him that I loved his 8-track and played it all the time. He thanked me, of course, and I remember us talking for a bit.

About twenty-five years ago I got a job painting a brand new huge house on a horse farm. The owner of the house was a weird dude who smoked constantly. His wife was as pretty as a model, but was really skinny, also a smoker, and had around 25 cats ... she actually built a large room especially for the cats. As I got to know the dude, I found out he was the manager of the Pixies, and they had just disbanded.

And all I can say about The Cars is Ric Ocasek is my hero because he’s one weird looking dude but married one of the prettiest girls I every saw. He must have a secret weapon.

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›