< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

Look At The Birdie

June

June
Total Posts:  337
Joined  09-06-2013

12 April 2017 13:15

Part of the skeptical brigade, having sworn to write off this place and the downright weird opinions of the self-aggrandizing regulars, I’ll chime in.  Or,  in the words of today’s generation of kids, I see people who just don’t know how to shut the fuck up.  The Harris forum is kept afloat by musings of the atheistic moral supremacists, running without an internal sense of when or how to yield.  Neanderthals.  Lacking human intuition while spewing textbook knowledge dosed with aggressive moral outrage.  Yahoo!

The things I never knew about the bulk of atheist perspective I learned right here on the Sam Harris forum.  Such has caused me to rethink my position on God and religion. I’m returning.  Not because I am a believer, or have had a sudden and profound revelation.  Not even close, while I wish I could have had such a thing.  Religion and its history is far from perfect.  The alternative, atheism, as demonstrated here has proved more removed from reality, people, with all the problems related to the human being, and is therefore, not even worth considering, even in a bad dream.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6374
Joined  31-01-2012

12 April 2017 13:56

June - 12 April 2017 01:15 PM

Part of the skeptical brigade, having sworn to write off this place and the downright weird opinions of the self-aggrandizing regulars, I’ll chime in.  Or,  in the words of today’s generation of kids, I see people who just don’t know how to shut the fuck up.  The Harris forum is kept afloat by musings of the atheistic moral supremacists, running without an internal sense of when or how to yield.  Neanderthals.  Lacking human intuition while spewing textbook knowledge dosed with aggressive moral outrage.  Yahoo!

The things I never knew about the bulk of atheist perspective I learned right here on the Sam Harris forum.  Such has caused me to rethink my position on God and religion. I’m returning.  Not because I am a believer, or have had a sudden and profound revelation.  Not even close, while I wish I could have had such a thing.  Religion and its history is far from perfect.  The alternative, atheism, as demonstrated here has proved more removed from reality, people, with all the problems related to the human being, and is therefore, not even worth considering, even in a bad dream.

That sounded real. You have to let me know if you actually go back. Because if my assholism has the power to reconvert people, I gotta say, that’s pretty awesome.

June

June
Joined  09-06-2013

12 April 2017 14:10

Jb8989 - 12 April 2017 01:56 PM

That sounded real. You have to let me know if you actually go back. Because if my assholism has the power to reconvert people, I gotta say, that’s pretty awesome.

Already have puppycakes,  blessed with the assholism of luke warm influence.  I no longer quarrel or argue with religious believers.  For me, that is a significant change.  Rather, I gently encourage them to keep the faith. See ya on the flip side,  Jack.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7119
Joined  15-02-2007

12 April 2017 14:19

Atheism definitely doesn’t make one immune to asshole-ism.
Hopefully there were some enjoyable moments for you in between all the turds.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

12 April 2017 14:21

GAD - 12 April 2017 08:12 AM
Jefe - 12 April 2017 07:27 AM
LadyJane - 12 April 2017 07:12 AM

Many of the regulars fail to appreciate they may not be as fascinating as they think they are.

I resemble this remark!

Is there someone who doesn’t?

I find it telling when someone presumes everyone thinks very egocentrically and conceitedly, or that humility and even simply a realistic self-image are somehow monkish.

Seems like a defense mechanism rather than a reasonably unbiased or disciplined observation.

[ Edited: 12 April 2017 14:24 by SkepticX]

June

June
Joined  09-06-2013

12 April 2017 14:35

Jefe - 12 April 2017 02:19 PM

Of course not, nor did I ever expect that.  There were moments of genius wit laced with humor surrounding religion in the postings.  I loved being here, reading, even if only from the balcony.  That changed with the divisive nature of politics where we inevitably must pick sides.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

12 April 2017 15:49

Jefe - 12 April 2017 02:19 PM

There are very few regulars who can be reasonably described at all as June does there, but it’s easy to get a kind of tunnel vision when you’re attacked—it’s just how human brains seem to work—quite understandably.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  12-07-2016

12 April 2017 16:21

This whole conversation is baffling this neanderthal.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3430
Joined  21-10-2016

12 April 2017 16:36

Ola - 12 April 2017 04:21 PM

Me too ... this may be turning into one of those conversations for the guys only?

It might be fun to watch if they’d just get to it and have an assholism contest.

[ Edited: 12 April 2017 16:42 by Jan_CAN]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

12 April 2017 16:43

June - 12 April 2017 02:10 PM
Jb8989 - 12 April 2017 01:56 PM

Already have puppycakes,  blessed with the assholism of luke warm influence.  I no longer quarrel or argue with religious believers.  For me, that is a significant change.  Rather, I gently encourage them to keep the faith. See ya on the flip side,  Jack.

Honestly, I don’t really remember quarreling with you. Although I do press theists pretty hard about defending the merits of their arguments. Allow me to apologize if part of your problem was with me, but also keep in mind that this place is pretty awesome because at the end of the day we agree to disagree. I agree with Skep that I don’t know many people that you’re explaining. Well, me. Sometimes. But also not really. Only sometimes.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

12 April 2017 16:45

Jan_CAN - 12 April 2017 04:36 PM

Me too ... this may be turning into one of those conversations for the guys only?

It might be fun to watch if they’d just get to it and have an assholism contest.

Shut up and go make me a sandwich?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 April 2017 16:50

Jb8989 - 12 April 2017 04:45 PM

Good start ... mayo on that?

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

12 April 2017 16:55

Jan_CAN - 12 April 2017 04:50 PM

Hands off. I saw him first.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 April 2017 17:01

Ola - 12 April 2017 04:55 PM

Hey, it might be who saw him last that counts!

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

12 April 2017 17:03

Jan_CAN - 12 April 2017 05:01 PM
Ola - 12 April 2017 04:55 PM

Hey, it might be who saw him last that counts!

Ohmagod. You know very well that is NOT the secret rule.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›