Introductions are the worst…

RyNomad

RyNomad
Total Posts:  2
Joined  27-05-2017

28 May 2017 13:12

... But I suppose necessary; as much as the argument ad hominem is fallacious, awareness of identity may still help to comprehend and to be comprehended.

I’ve been a reader/listener of Harris for a few years. His, and other ‘new atheist’ works helped free me of the perceived obligation to respect (or at least pretend to respect) superstitious nonsense. But lately my delight has turned to terror, faced with what I can only describe as apocalyptic levels of ignorance and dogma masquerading as humility and wisdom (In the world at large, not necessarily in the works of Harris). My attention has turned thus to attempts to understand the intersection between rhetoric and reason, in turns descriptively and prescriptively.

Being a longtime host to a wide variance of memetic material from many sources, both modern and classical, I’m hoping that joining these forums might provide an opportunity to toss a few mutants into the world and see if any prove ‘fit’ enough.

As one might guess, ‘memeticists’ or ‘universal darwinians’ might find a friend in me, or at least an engaging interlocutor.

-Ry

[ Edited: 28 May 2017 18:55 by Nhoj Morley]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10836
Joined  20-10-2006

28 May 2017 16:51

RyNomad - 28 May 2017 01:12 PM

But lately my delight has turned to terror, faced with what I can only describe as apocalyptic levels of ignorance and dogma masquerading as humility and wisdom (In the world at large, not necessarily in the works of Harris). My attention has turned thus to attempts to understand the intersection between rhetoric and reason, in turns descriptively and prescriptively.

Being a longtime host to a wide variance of memetic material from many sources, both modern and classical, I’m hoping that joining these forums might provide an opportunity to toss a few mutants into the world and see if any prove ‘fit’ enough.

As one might guess, ‘memeticists’ or ‘universal darwinians’ might find a friend in me, or at least an engaging interlocutor.

-Ry

What?  hmmm

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6975
Joined  22-02-2005

28 May 2017 18:56

Greetings, Mr. Nomad.

Mutant away!

RyNomad

RyNomad
Total Posts:  2
Joined  27-05-2017

29 May 2017 13:01

Skipshot - 28 May 2017 04:51 PM

What?  hmmm

Forgive me. When I overthink a post I can sometimes get lost in the language to the point where I end up obfuscating the things I’m trying to clarify. Suffice to say, I’m happy to be here and am looking for smart people to poke holes in some arguments I’ve been working on.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10836
Joined  20-10-2006

29 May 2017 13:21

RyNomad - 29 May 2017 01:01 PM
Skipshot - 28 May 2017 04:51 PM

What?  hmmm

Forgive me. When I overthink a post I can sometimes get lost in the language to the point where I end up obfuscating the things I’m trying to clarify. Suffice to say, I’m happy to be here and am looking for smart people to poke holes in some arguments I’ve been working on.

I try to keep it simple, maybe too simple.

Beers are in the fridge; help yourself.

Skepticelt

Skepticelt
Total Posts:  3
Joined  18-11-2017

18 November 2017 11:24

I agree introductions are uncomfortable at best. I’m always trying to introduce myself by thinking, what will be people’s response to the introduction? Suffice it to say I enjoy poking holes in religious dogma. I do not know what is meant by spiritual, other than to me it seems like self delusion. Glad to meet you I think I will help myself to one of skipshots beers right now. Rainy and cold here in the great lakes state.