The Handmaid’s Tale

kpb04003

kpb04003
Total Posts:  2
Joined  20-03-2017

15 June 2017 11:35

I’ve heard quite a bit about this TV series and vaguely remember reading the book in highschool. Started watching it and it is a better than average show. Fairly well acted, great set design and the story is strong. It has been garnering a bit of attention upon its release, some of which I’ve read. What I find most amusing/frustrating is the amount of chatter and articles written (by left-leaning publications) about how relevant the story is under the Trump administration. I’d agree certainly that we’ve moved closer to the dystopian future the show/novel predicts from the past administration but there are about 90 yards between here and that depiction.

What really bugs me is there is no mention in any of these articles about the fact that there is a near-as-can-be, almost spot-on, and in some cases worse than, parallel to this society that actually exists in the year 2017. In fact, if you are counting governments, there are at least a dozen or so. What everyone finds so shocking about the subjugation of women who must dress a certain way, are subjugated to men, have fewer rights, hold no power and are constantly under watch by religious zealots cannot seem to make the 2-inch leap to see the similarities to Islamic governments. If you google Trump + Handmaids tale, it reads as a who’s who of liberal entertainment outlets. If you google Islam + Handmaids tale it reads as the direct opposite (with the exception of The Atlantic, which did do a relatively good piece on the show). Generally, this kind of thing doesn’t stick out, but the fact that it’s basically just a matter of filming location that separates the two makes me feel like I’m being low-level gaslighted by my facebook feed.

Sir Drinks-a-Lot

Sir Drinks-a-Lot
Total Posts:  79
Joined  04-06-2017

15 June 2017 11:39

I personally think that we are heading more towards a sort of Brave New World type dystopia.

The association of Trump with the Handmaidens Tale is as nutty as the association with Hitler.

LTB

LTB
Total Posts:  1
Joined  15-06-2017

15 June 2017 15:28

I’m not so sure that “That association of Trump with the Handmaidens Tale is as nutty…” as anything.  In the US the push to roll back reproductive choice for women amounts to little more than reproductive slavery.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17629
Joined  15-02-2008

16 June 2017 00:12

LTB - 15 June 2017 03:28 PM

I’m not so sure that “That association of Trump with the Handmaidens Tale is as nutty…” as anything.  In the US the push to roll back reproductive choice for women amounts to little more than reproductive slavery.

Indeed.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3329
Joined  26-03-2013

16 June 2017 04:37

I think the timeliness factor corresponds with the idea that this could happen anywhere.

This was required reading when I was in high school and one of the few times I actually enjoyed an assignment.  It really freaked me out man.  The movie version appeared in nineteen ninety and this teevee show has proven to be an excellent rendition. 

Anyone interested in speculative fiction may want to check out (Canadian Treasure) Margaret Atwood’s MaddAddam trilogy.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6760
Joined  08-12-2006

16 June 2017 11:40

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  26-01-2010

17 June 2017 00:32

Antisocialdarwinist - 16 June 2017 11:40 AM

From The New Yorker: Margaret Atwood, the Prophet of Dystopia.

Thanks for the link—good article.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  19-01-2015

17 June 2017 04:50

I quite like the premise of the book: faced with massively declining birthrates it is quite possible that people would do a lot of massively stupid things.

Gamril

Gamril
Total Posts:  156
Joined  25-05-2017

18 August 2017 05:39

Twissel - 17 June 2017 04:50 AM

I quite like the premise of the book: faced with massively declining birthrates it is quite possible that people would do a lot of massively stupid things.

I enjoyed the first season and also found the premise is interesting. I think the whole part about certain men based on I’m not sure what having a barren wife and handmaidens to provide children not relevant to anything that could possibly happen in the real world.