1 2 > 

‘White Lives Matter’ Riot, After Police Shooting of “White” Woman

Dumaya

Dumaya
Total Posts:  124
Joined  04-05-2017

18 July 2017 03:57

...Is a rubric you will NEVER read.

I am referring to a recent, rather publicised incident of an Australian-American [“white”] female who was shot dead in Minneapolis, by a Somali-Moslem police officer — who fired on the woman, through his police cruiser driver’s seat window (over his driving partner’s lap) — after she beckoned them to an otherwise anodyne call-out.

The loaded title to this topic is indeed a deliberate choice; as it alludes to the respective groups’ reactions to such—what are rather common occurrences—in today’s trigger-happy, firearms-flooded “United” (*apocryphal) States.  That is to imply, that no cars will be overturned; no Molotovs will be thrown; no looting will ensue; nor will riotous fires rise — as a result of this highly and inordinately dubious incident.

This calls into question the mindset of the respective parties involved:  On one hand, you have the Afro-American community (a generalisation), who have a tendency to lash out at the treatment they perceive to receive at the hands of the nation’s constabulary.  On the other, an Anglo demographic whose silence is on such matters is deafening — especially given that many statistical proofs point to the incidence of “death by cop” correlating more with “white” victims; as distinct from “non whites”.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing.  —Edmund Burke

The ‘wild west’ culture in the U.S. is extant, alive and kicking — as it has been since scalps were the nation’s indigenous peoples’ unit of currency.  Until this grievous shortcoming of the model “freedom” the U.S. espouses, is addressed and redressed as necessary, the nation can lay no claim to any “primacy” over any counterpart; much less, profess leadership or serve as any kind of beacon of righteousness unto the world (...and particularly during its current administrative ‘climate change’).

Fix your shit, U.S.A..

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8974
Joined  20-10-2006

18 July 2017 11:29

Are there more details about the shooting?  Last I heard a white woman was killed by the police after she called them for assistance, but that is all.  With the Blacks, rioting happened after video evidence emerged of the shooting.

Are you implying that people should riot after every shooting?

Dumaya

Dumaya
Total Posts:  124
Joined  04-05-2017

19 July 2017 01:17

- Woman calls police to attend a “disturbance” in alley behind her home
- Police arrive in squad car and, without alighting vehicle, the passenger (Muhammad Noor) shot the female victim through the opposite (driver’s) side window of the car
- Alley was said to be brightly lit at the time the incident transpired; woman was dressed in pyjamas and had approached the car
- No weapon of any kind was found at the scene or associated with the victim
- Body cameras: OFF
- Dash cameras: OFF
- All audio prior to and during incident: OFF
- Driving officer (non shooter) claims he was “startled” by some “loud noise” around the time the victim was shot by his partner
- Some loose speculation of “fireworks”, attributed to the noise claimed to have been heard
- Offending officer has yet to elaborate on his actions; only proffering his ‘condolences’ for the families loss, through his lawyer — “I take their loss seriously”

I’m not saying Somali-refugee-shoehorned-into-policing-role-to-hurriedly-placate-extremist-liberal-diversity-zealotry, PTSD manifested… I’m just sayin’...

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

19 July 2017 05:59

Dumaya - 19 July 2017 01:17 AM

... I’m just sayin’...

What?  That it is time to riot?

ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber
Total Posts:  14
Joined  16-07-2017

19 July 2017 06:30

White people riot when they are faced with speakers they don’t like at Berkley.

As for police errors - every single one is a tragedy, and should be recognized as such. Every one. People wielding life and death power should be held to an extremely high standard. That said, while the media is scaring people to death by highlighting each and every one of these stories (which are more or less a handful, in a nation of 320 million people), statistically, you are far, far more likely to be killed by your dentist, it just won’t get reported on.

Now I hear people saying you shouldn’t call the police in an emergency because you’ll likely be killed, and it reminds me of my elderly relatives who refused to wear a seatbelt because “people end up being killed by seatbelts just as often as they’re saved by them”. Occasionally, yes, I’m sure they are, but when you highlight freak accidents and don’t mention the 99% of the time when the mundane happens (i.e., a seatbelt keeps someone from flying through a windshield, possibly in a situation where they didn’t even know they were at risk for this and continue to drive, unaware of what almost happened,) then intuitions become seriously warped.

Phate

Phate
Total Posts:  36
Joined  14-04-2016

19 July 2017 08:25

ImaginaryNumber - 19 July 2017 06:30 AM

White people riot when they are faced with speakers they don’t like at Berkley.

As for police errors - every single one is a tragedy, and should be recognized as such. Every one. People wielding life and death power should be held to an extremely high standard. That said, while the media is scaring people to death by highlighting each and every one of these stories (which are more or less a handful, in a nation of 320 million people), statistically, you are far, far more likely to be killed by your dentist, it just won’t get reported on.

Now I hear people saying you shouldn’t call the police in an emergency because you’ll likely be killed, and it reminds me of my elderly relatives who refused to wear a seatbelt because “people end up being killed by seatbelts just as often as they’re saved by them”. Occasionally, yes, I’m sure they are, but when you highlight freak accidents and don’t mention the 99% of the time when the mundane happens (i.e., a seatbelt keeps someone from flying through a windshield, possibly in a situation where they didn’t even know they were at risk for this and continue to drive, unaware of what almost happened,) then intuitions become seriously warped.

Agree 100%. Judging police actions based on sample sizes of 1, or 5, or even 50…is simply unproductive. If you want to review the judgement of an individual officer involved then absolutely, every case should be reviewed to make sure that correct actions were taken and if the officer went outside of the legal boundaries of their role then they should be charged. Period.

Where the black lives matter movement failed, in my opinion, is that they should have been focusing more on the actual stats and clarifying the problem. But, instead of getting acceptance from law enforcement on the problem, they jumped right to the solution. They should have done the research and developed some kind of database that showed the rate of deadly force per officer interaction by police dept. Then compared the individual forces to national avg and best-in-class forces, and finally incentivize all forces to change their policies/training/recruiting/equipment, etc as they saw fit in order to improve their rate above an agreed upon target.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

19 July 2017 09:51

Phate - 19 July 2017 08:25 AM

Where the black lives matter movement failed, in my opinion, is that they should have been focusing more on the actual stats and clarifying the problem. But, instead of getting acceptance from law enforcement on the problem, they jumped right to the solution. They should have done the research and developed some kind of database that showed the rate of deadly force per officer interaction by police dept. Then compared the individual forces to national avg and best-in-class forces, and finally incentivize all forces to change their policies/training/recruiting/equipment, etc as they saw fit in order to improve their rate above an agreed upon target.

That is a lot of “they” “should” in your post.  Are you criticizing or offering to help?

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6219
Joined  08-12-2006

19 July 2017 13:50

If as many white people were shot by black cops as black people are shot by white cops, I’ll bet white people would be rioting, too. Conversely, if as few black people were shot by white cops as white people are shot by black cops, black people probably wouldn’t riot, either.

In other words, it’s an apples to oranges comparison. The difference is the frequency of occurrence.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16307
Joined  15-02-2008

19 July 2017 19:42

Antisocialdarwinist - 19 July 2017 01:50 PM

If as many white people were shot by black cops as black people are shot by white cops, I’ll bet white people would be rioting, too. Conversely, if as few black people were shot by white cops as white people are shot by black cops, black people probably wouldn’t riot, either.

In other words, it’s an apples to oranges comparison. The difference is the frequency of occurrence.

I’m not so sure. The belief that you are being repressed, targeted etc is a multiplier here. And the frequency is actually really low it’s just that every incident is it sensationalized to reality TV levels.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6219
Joined  08-12-2006

20 July 2017 07:17

GAD - 19 July 2017 07:42 PM

I’m not so sure. The belief that you are being repressed, targeted etc is a multiplier here. And the frequency is actually really low it’s just that every incident is it sensationalized to reality TV levels.

The relative frequency, then? Which leads to the belief that your particular demographic is being repressed, targeted, etc.? Or is the frequency so low that no rational person would ever complain about it if only the media didn’t sensationalize each and every rare occurrence, and race-baiting opportunists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton weren’t constantly whipping gullible fools into a frenzy of self-destructive fury?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16307
Joined  15-02-2008

20 July 2017 08:06

Antisocialdarwinist - 20 July 2017 07:17 AM
GAD - 19 July 2017 07:42 PM

The relative frequency, then? Which leads to the belief that your particular demographic is being repressed, targeted, etc.? Or is the frequency so low that no rational person would ever complain about it if only the media didn’t sensationalize each and every rare occurrence, and race-baiting opportunists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton weren’t constantly whipping gullible fools into a frenzy of self-destructive fury?

I think that these incidents are unacceptable and must be taken seriously is rational, but to see it as some mass conspiracy or corruption takes all of the above to become synergistic.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20262
Joined  11-03-2007

20 July 2017 14:44

But it’s all cool because OJ was released today.  That makes up for all the injustice done since the beginning of the nation.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  12-07-2016

22 July 2017 00:23

Hundreds marched (http://abcnews.go.com/US/hundreds-attend-minneapolis-march-honor-justine-ruszczyk/story?id=48764378) but maybe it doesn’t need to get to riot stage if the chief of police resigns immediately (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minnesota-police-idUSKBN1A62U2).

Listen to the mother of Philando Castile and her words of peace before the trial of her son’s killer compared to the words of disbelief, frustration, and anger following the acquittal.

I’m not saying riots are a good idea but equally I don’t think BLM has been mainly riots, has it. It has been loud and forceful, and maybe that’s the only way to get anywhere. If there had been no BLM controversies, I wonder how much any of us would know? Didn’t we only start counting the whole number of people who get killed by police when BLM raised the question?

[ Edited: 22 July 2017 00:34 by Ola]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

22 July 2017 00:39

BLM is unfortunate in how cynical it must be to express the injustices still perpetuated on our Black citizens that they literally must title the movement to give value to their lives to get the recognition white people take for granted.  It breaks my heart.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  12-07-2016

22 July 2017 01:04

BLM has been good and bad in places—as most things are, I guess! I was worried it was going into an alternative facts zone at one stage. Nowadays I’m more worried that it will have changed nothing.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3184
Joined  26-01-2010

23 July 2017 21:25

Perhaps the problem is in police training, and in the types of people who are inclined toward police work or who are selected for police work. Perhaps all police officers should have advanced degrees in sociology and be masters of martial arts that emphasize non-violence.

I’m not entirely joking. Some of the incidents seem to be police overreaction, in some cases actually succumbing to panic, combined with a military-appropriate mindset of “shoot first, ask questions later.” In the most recent case, there seem to be obvious policy gaps; it seems to me that if a police officer is even touching a weapon, all the cameras he has control over should be active. This clearly was not the operant policy in the most recent case. It was stated that the policy in Minneapolis was for police to activate cameras when there was an expectation of an incident. Did the shooting officer handle his firearm before or after he expected to need to use it? If he readied his firearm “just in case”, why didn’t he activate his body cam “just in case”?

1 2 >