Further Consideration of Jonathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind and Moral Foundations Theory

LoriBell

LoriBell
Total Posts:  132
Joined  03-08-2015

19 July 2017 13:10

I wrote this blog post today: “Towards a Better Understanding of Moral Foundations and the Need for Peace Literacy”

https://thebluemoonturtleblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/towards-better-understanding-of-moral.html

I welcome your feedback.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Lori

Dr.Dre'del

Dr.Dre'del
Total Posts:  1
Joined  22-07-2017

22 July 2017 17:03

I’m unclear on what the opening paragraph has to do with the rest of the post.
For what it’s worth I think, at least in our universe, it’s impossible to argue with the statement “everything happens for a reason”. One can interpret that assertion in so many ways as to make it unfalsifiable on its face. Even the staunchest skeptic can’t deny that everything is caused by something.

But as a fan of Sam Harris, I’m sure you’ll recognize that when you’re talking about people who strongly believe in unprovable things, the notion that you have “a lot in common” with someone who is deeply religious when you are not, begs the question pretty strongly.
In your desire to have this individual ignore various deeply held perceptions you’re assuming that the myriad practical and physical things that attract you will supersede their core operating system.  I think this is a tad naive (no offense).
But if I understand your intentions (and clearly I might not) you’re hoping to parlay your desire to have this individual be more reasonable in their approach to your communication and mutual understanding into a more global desire that we (humans) take greater care to allow for one another’s unique perspectives?
Again - sorry, I’m just trying to understand what the latter part of your analysis of Haidt’s work has to do with your incongruity with the person who went all Jesus on you smile 

LoriBell

LoriBell
Total Posts:  132
Joined  03-08-2015

23 July 2017 09:55

Dr.Dreā€™del - 22 July 2017 05:03 PM

I’m unclear on what the opening paragraph has to do with the rest of the post.
For what it’s worth I think, at least in our universe, it’s impossible to argue with the statement “everything happens for a reason”. One can interpret that assertion in so many ways as to make it unfalsifiable on its face. Even the staunchest skeptic can’t deny that everything is caused by something.

But as a fan of Sam Harris, I’m sure you’ll recognize that when you’re talking about people who strongly believe in unprovable things, the notion that you have “a lot in common” with someone who is deeply religious when you are not, begs the question pretty strongly.
In your desire to have this individual ignore various deeply held perceptions you’re assuming that the myriad practical and physical things that attract you will supersede their core operating system.  I think this is a tad naive (no offense).
But if I understand your intentions (and clearly I might not) you’re hoping to parlay your desire to have this individual be more reasonable in their approach to your communication and mutual understanding into a more global desire that we (humans) take greater care to allow for one another’s unique perspectives?
Again - sorry, I’m just trying to understand what the latter part of your analysis of Haidt’s work has to do with your incongruity with the person who went all Jesus on you smile 

Thank you for the comment and inquiry.

The intro to the post illustrates the consequences of our lack of more fundamental understanding of Haidt’s “moral foundations” and Paul Chappell’s “peace literacy”. Where this person and I might have been companions and/or friends, meeting some very basic human “love needs”, (http://thebluemoonturtleblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/understanding-basic-human-love-needs.html) as there are many similarities in what we enjoy doing day to day, that opportunity for basic, human relating was compromised by this more persistent, global emphasis on belief over behavior.

My time for this response is limited. So I will leave it at that for now.

[ Edited: 23 July 2017 10:02 by LoriBell]