Bad move to quit Patreon

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3144
Joined  19-01-2015

26 July 2017 01:52

In the latest Podcast (#89) Harris mentioned that he is going to quit Patreon and do all his funding through this website.

In my opinion, this is a bad idea.

The most important rule of the Internet Economy is to make it easy for people to spend money. Centralizing the annoying bits like setting up accounts and payment methods are a huge part of this.
Supporters who are already on Patreon might not bother to shift to here for all kinds of reasons, security being one of them, features another.
At the very least, Harris would have to set up a per-episode, maximum monthly contribution system the way Patreon has.

I can see no wisdom in reducing the ways in which people can support ones work. On the contrary, the more kinds of income sources one has, the less dependent one is on any single one of them.
So I would also suggest to post the Podcasts on YouTube with advertisement whilst letting people know always that they can get them here ad-free.

I think Harris is doing a good job at getting great guests, and I’m all for supporting him.

But why make it harder than it needs to be?

Thoughtful

Thoughtful
Total Posts:  2
Joined  23-07-2017

26 July 2017 03:49

Yep.  He should let the programmers at Patreon do what they do best, and keep focusing on what he does best.

EXCEPT, if he feels patron is somehow compromising the safety of the members of the community that is coalescing around his work.  In the short term or long term.  Hmm.  Maybe the issue is not so cut and dried….

dagome

dagome
Total Posts:  3
Joined  19-04-2017

26 July 2017 12:21

I do not like that he is quitting Patreon from “my convenience” point of view, but it is a move consistent with his desire to be independent.
I like the move from “staying pure” point of view.  He is surly walking against the current here (Rubin Report comes to mind with ads inclusion), and it is a mark of a man with principals. i like it.
in the end i upped my monthly support. i do wish there was per episode option, something i bet he will work on getting.

Sam might be suffering from trying to do too much himself (something i often do), did he ever get that intern?

LeptonPauli

LeptonPauli
Total Posts:  9
Joined  29-03-2017

31 July 2017 21:13

I understand the reason.  Imagine 5 years from now Sam has an even better podcast, even more research, better stuff, more stuff, and he is getting say 5 million a month from patreon to keep it all going.  Then all of a sudden they decide, he is saying things they don’t like, or maybe that paypal guy buys them to silence Sam.  I totally understand why he is cautious about this.  And doing it at the first sign of this behavior, even about someone he disagrees with is a great message.

Proud supporter through the website.

Probus

Probus
Total Posts:  206
Joined  12-07-2017

01 August 2017 07:20

I think his decision to quit Patreon is too extreme. I think a better option would have been to repeatedly recommend new supporters to use his own website while keeping his Patreon account. If it turns out, that supporters nonetheless insist on using Patreon then it could be a valid option in the future to close his Patreon account. As it stands, I think he is going too extreme.

Andrew Clunn

Andrew Clunn
Total Posts:  32
Joined  01-08-2017

01 August 2017 19:39

I just became a supporter because of this decision.  It made it clear that he has no interest in a middle man money handler who attempts to use their position to censor.  Whether this is principled or entirely motivated by informed self interest isn’t important.  This was both the smart and the right move.  Well done.

Yorkist

Yorkist
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-08-2017

03 August 2017 08:03

I’m not bothered how I support, as long as I contribute for such quality material. I give a dollar a show which, to be honest, I think is high. I worry that if I paid this to every podcast I listen to then I’d soon be looking to cut down. On the other hand, I want to encourage this style of funding because if enough of us do it then maybe you’d eventually get real quality and varied output for, who know, ten cents a time? That way a lot more people could access it and the creator goes from strength to strength. As someone who is lucky to have access to the BBC, who don’t carry adverts (except, increasingly annoyingly, for themselves) it’s great to have no plugs for underwear and so on. These days, however, I have become really fed up with the BBC’s news output which is increasingly sensational, bias, nepotistic, anti-Brexit and anti-Trump. It’s supposed to be for everyone and it bugs me that they subtly push a political angle - at least I know where Sam stands on Trump!

Onespecies

Onespecies
Total Posts:  10
Joined  15-02-2017

31 December 2018 14:41

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

05 January 2019 06:56

Twissel - 26 July 2017 01:52 AM

In the latest Podcast (#89) Harris mentioned that he is going to quit Patreon and do all his funding through this website.

In my opinion, this is a bad idea.

The most important rule of the Internet Economy is to make it easy for people to spend money. Centralizing the annoying bits like setting up accounts and payment methods are a huge part of this.

PayPal’s pretty easy ... eh?