hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6633
Joined  15-05-2009

14 August 2017 12:33

Igawa - 14 August 2017 10:53 AM
hannahtoo - 14 August 2017 07:36 AM

Igawa:
To me, disallowing nuclear blackmail is a hill worth dying upon, in the literal sense.

Faulty premise.  Wars do not “disallow” other wars; they just result in misery and destruction.  Just as Hiroshima/Nagasaki did not disallow your current willingness to let nuclear weapons fall again.  And WWI, “the war to end all wars” didn’t.  And Vietnam didn’t preclude Afghanistan and Iraq.

Personally, I’d like to see Kim and Trump stand toe to toe and duke it out.

Faulty conclusion. Wars don’t just end in misery and destruction, they also change the course of human development. Some outcomes lead to less misery and destruction overall.

There was never a war that did not include misery and destruction.  Any missile exchange with N Korea would likely kill millions in that densely populated region.  Seoul is an easy target for Kim, and Japan only 1000 km away.  Maybe the world has to put up with Kim having nukes as his security blanket until a treaty can be negotiated. 

Trump is a bully, and attack is his strategy when he is crossed.  He has shown no patience for diplomatic finesse.  “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Igawa

Igawa
Total Posts:  374
Joined  19-07-2017

14 August 2017 12:35

hannahtoo - 14 August 2017 12:33 PM

Igawa:
To me, disallowing nuclear blackmail is a hill worth dying upon, in the literal sense.

Faulty premise.  Wars do not “disallow” other wars; they just result in misery and destruction.  Just as Hiroshima/Nagasaki did not disallow your current willingness to let nuclear weapons fall again.  And WWI, “the war to end all wars” didn’t.  And Vietnam didn’t preclude Afghanistan and Iraq.

Faulty conclusion. Wars don’t just end in misery and destruction, they also change the course of human development. Some outcomes lead to less misery and destruction overall.

There was never a war that did not include misery and destruction.  Any missile exchange with N Korea would likely kill millions in that densely populated region.  Seoul is an easy target for Kim, and Japan only 1000 km away.  Maybe the world has to put up with Kim having nukes as his security blanket until a treaty can be negotiated. 

Trump is a bully, and attack is his strategy when he is crossed.  He has shown no patience for diplomatic finesse.  “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

A treaty for what exactly?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8998
Joined  20-10-2006

14 August 2017 14:56

Igawa - 14 August 2017 10:47 AM
Skipshot - 14 August 2017 07:22 AM

Is Igawa another Russian troll spreading hate and fear to convince America to commit suicide?  I’m seeing this sort of rhetoric in comments sections of news stories and commentary more and more often.  There literally must be an organization in Russia which employs people to spend the day inciting race wars, economic wars, religious wars, and now old fashioned kill-everyone wars.  Even our resident radical-right winger, Celal, isn’t as unreasonable as the crap being spewed by comments like Igawa’s.  And Igawa stating a willingness to sacrifice his/her anonymous life in a nuclear war between the US and NK smells remarkably suspicious.

Go on, tell me about all the virtues of North Korea and why it deserves to be the sole power on the Korean peninsula.

You are confirming my suspicions.

Igawa

Igawa
Joined  19-07-2017

14 August 2017 15:00

Skipshot - 14 August 2017 02:56 PM

Is Igawa another Russian troll spreading hate and fear to convince America to commit suicide?  I’m seeing this sort of rhetoric in comments sections of news stories and commentary more and more often.  There literally must be an organization in Russia which employs people to spend the day inciting race wars, economic wars, religious wars, and now old fashioned kill-everyone wars.  Even our resident radical-right winger, Celal, isn’t as unreasonable as the crap being spewed by comments like Igawa’s.  And Igawa stating a willingness to sacrifice his/her anonymous life in a nuclear war between the US and NK smells remarkably suspicious.

Go on, tell me about all the virtues of North Korea and why it deserves to be the sole power on the Korean peninsula.

You are confirming my *delusions.

Fixed that for you

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8998
Joined  20-10-2006

14 August 2017 15:08

Igawa - 14 August 2017 03:00 PM
Skipshot - 14 August 2017 02:56 PM

You are confirming my *delusions.

Fixed that for you

Suspicion upgraded to confirmation.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

14 August 2017 16:57

They have every right to exist as a nation and they’re third world as compared to SK.  They do not have a right to threaten others, nor do we have a right to strike first absent a clear and immediate danger (not verbal vague threats). They strike with conventional weapons, we respond in multiple conventional weapons.  They use nuclear we then destroy that country.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

14 August 2017 17:06

Igawa - 14 August 2017 12:35 PM
hannahtoo - 14 August 2017 12:33 PM

Igawa:

A treaty for what exactly?

Non-agression

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

15 August 2017 05:54

Funny world, when the Chinese are sounding more sensible than the US President:

The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs told CNN its official line is that “the bottom line” to resolve the North Korea nuclear issue is “to uphold the general direction of dialogue, negotiation and political settlement.”

“The current situation on the Korean Peninsula is highly complex and sensitive. We hope to see the relevant sides ‘extinguish fire’ through their words and actions instead of ‘adding fuel’ amid tensions. We hope to see them improve mutual trust, and move toward the goal of preserving peace and stability on the peninsula as well as realizing the denuclearization of the peninsula.”

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  947
Joined  01-11-2014

15 August 2017 08:01

hannahtoo - 15 August 2017 05:54 AM

The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs told CNN its official line is that “the bottom line” to resolve the North Korea nuclear issue is “to uphold the general direction of dialogue, negotiation and political settlement.”

“The current situation on the Korean Peninsula is highly complex and sensitive. We hope to see the relevant sides ‘extinguish fire’ through their words and actions instead of ‘adding fuel’ amid tensions. We hope to see them improve mutual trust, and move toward the goal of preserving peace and stability on the peninsula as well as realizing the denuclearization of the peninsula.”

It sounds like the Chinese are all in for diplomacy and having a role in it.

It will be disappointing news for Igawa.

Igawa

Igawa
Joined  19-07-2017

15 August 2017 09:44

Cheshire Cat - 15 August 2017 08:01 AM
hannahtoo - 15 August 2017 05:54 AM

It sounds like the Chinese are all in for diplomacy and having a role in it.

It will be disappointing news for Igawa.

Yup, it’s disappointing, but the most likely outcome. Here’s to hoping China can pressure NK enough to denuclearize.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  947
Joined  01-11-2014

15 August 2017 10:06

Igawa - 15 August 2017 09:44 AM

Yup, it’s disappointing, but the most likely outcome. Here’s to hoping China can pressure NK enough to denuclearize.

Cheers to that.

‹ First  < 2 3 4