Source Recommendation for learning about Neuroscience

Sam Harris has been replaced with a doppelganger

Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-06-2017

13 August 2017 09:06

Hi All, I am looking for a book, website, video series etc. for a good place to learn about the brain and its function in a more in depth way. I also am lacking a solid base and no very little about Biology at all. Does anyone have any recommendations?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5882
Joined  25-08-2009

13 August 2017 17:04

Sam Harris has been replaced with a doppelganger - 13 August 2017 09:06 AM

Hi All, I am looking for a book, website, video series etc. for a good place to learn about the brain and its function in a more in depth way. I also am lacking a solid base and no very little about Biology at all. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Start with Campbell Biology I think its in its 10 edition, by Pearson Publishers.  Chapters 48 to 50 discuss the nervous system and behavior.
The book to read for neuroscience is “Principles of Neuroscience” by Kandel and others.  I think its in its 5th edition, Published by McGraw Hill.
If your knowledge of biology is weak, I don’t think you can read the latter, without the former.
Although both books are long and dense,they are interesting reading;
but if you don’t know a lot, you will be spending a lot of time getting through the material.
There are probably simpler books, but I don’t know what they are.
“Campbell Biology” is the standard Bio textbook for many academic undergraduate biology programs
“Principles of Neuroscience” is the standard textbook for many Neuroscience programs.

[ Edited: 13 August 2017 17:06 by jdrnd]

Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-06-2017

14 August 2017 02:40

Thanks a lot!