What is your strategy for income allotment derived from SAM HARRIS?

robertbiederman

robertbiederman
Total Posts:  1
Joined  16-07-2017

20 August 2017 10:30

It’s reasonable and likely that you will amass millions, if not tens of millions of dollars through your altruistic efforts. Well deserved and proudly earned. It doesn’t seem likely you will get involved in massive personal spending. So, how do you envision allocating what will be a level of financial assets that you have never encountered? Would you just turn it over to Bill Gates? Unlikely. What do you envision? There’s only so much “tuning up” you can do to the already remarkably wonderful podcasts, blogs and other products.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6723
Joined  22-02-2005

20 August 2017 11:19

Tens of millions? How much are you spending on those podcasts?

lukefrmal

lukefrmal
Total Posts:  19
Joined  21-08-2017

21 August 2017 15:30

why would he turn it over to bill gates when he can turn it over to YOU, am i rite? you could put them monies to good use buying a cheeseburgerrrrrrrrr

unRheal

unRheal
Total Posts:  3
Joined  14-05-2019

30 June 2020 20:50

I would say he’s doing ok if he can just set an auto-transfer of $5000 a month to his carefully selected charity (do the most good, most money going to the actual need, etc - that’s the impression I got, but forget where/when he said it, not recently, anyway)

He could send me $15k. I’m struggling to put together a machine that could actually run a small, narrow-topic, starter, that I could then take to one of those “donate to my company” sites, maybe get a few hundred grand, then buy one of those new Nvidia “graphics cards” that weigh 100+ lbs(?) or so, but it is a nice little box (I think it has a good little PC inside, but maybe you just attach it to one? - It’s the size of my PC)

If my one in a million chance of beating China, N. Korea, Google, etc.. actually succeeds - I have plans to make the whole world better.. (unless you’re in one of those religions that don’t use technology - I’m not gonna force anyone to live better than they ever imagined)

I took my first AI classes in mid-late ‘80’s, because I recall a bunch of us in a number of the classes, with the instructor drove down to Seattle for the annual AAAI (American Assoc. for AI or some such) - just happened to be in the only city I could get to that year.. so they gave me a ride down and we all went and had fun. Some guy showing me a box the size of a single one in a farm - y’know, size of a refrigerator and was showing me so proudly how it was doing ray-tracing in… real? time… or at least one or two lines a minute. I remember thinking I thought the guys back home weren’t going a *lot* slower with a number of those old TARGA cards. The lecture on the details of the chemical functioning of a single neuron was way better, even if the tech parts just went over my head. Even though my dad had a Ph.D in neurochemistry, he wasn’t much of the sharing type.. though he did show me how to build a transistor radio, and explained how it worked, without a battery and all, and when I got to gr. 2, they were trying to teach the class to read with some book that started the first page like “This is Jack” - I flipped through it and was like, are you kidding? Go to my backpack and pull out larry niven or something interesting, not for.. I dunno.. who can’t read This is Jack. Jack has a friend. blah blah..

I could use more math. I only got through Calculus, so I’m working on it. If you’re not trying to build an AI to make the world an incredibly better place for everyone.. Then maybe wish me luck, because my budget isn’t even going to have me a functional machine again for probably 3 or 4 months. After I get that new Nvidia card for $2500, that blows the month’s paycheck. My 1250W power supply just died (10 or so yrs old) and that’ll cost a few bucks. Those two should get me back up and running. (my prev. graphics card is still here, but 2nd from the last on the list of CUDA capable cards, and I’d have to recompile Tensor 2 to not use one of the CPU extensions it uses by default. The extension came out about 8 months after I bought my “Extreme” CPU about 10 yrs ago.

So ya, send me $15k and I will do my best to make y’all’s world more awesome than you can imagine.

Do whatever you like with the other $500 million, cause if my AI works first, money will be meaningless.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about read the Original Nano book by Drexler (not his new one) and you’ll get some taste.

Cheers all