1 2 3 >  Last ›

While We’re Still Able

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15955
Joined  17-12-2006

28 August 2017 02:06

Hi from Paris, arrived after an almost tolerable flight and now settling in for the week, then river cruise from Lyon to Arles and a few days in Nice before heading to Germany for a conference (Jena) and then 4 days in Berlin (I want to see Nefertiti and the Ishtar Gate). Figured that the While We Still Can fits this.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21905
Joined  11-03-2007

28 August 2017 04:41

Wow.  Have fun and drink plenty of wine .

Start flying business class.  It’s worth it at our age.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

28 August 2017 04:45

EN - 28 August 2017 04:41 AM

Did, that’s why it was almost tolerable. Unfortunately those little cubicles are about 3 inches too short for me to really stretch out.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5614
Joined  05-04-2006

28 August 2017 05:51

burt - 28 August 2017 02:06 AM

Hi from Paris, arrived after an almost tolerable flight and now settling in for the week, then river cruise from Lyon to Arles and a few days in Nice before heading to Germany for a conference (Jena) and then 4 days in Berlin (I want to see Nefertiti and the Ishtar Gate). Figured that the While We Still Can fits this.

Have a great time—this sounds like a wonderful trip.

We just spent a week in Paris in May. My wife and I are already thinking about when to go back. As much as we love our college-aged son, and as glad as we are he got to experience Paris, she and I would like to go back just the two of us.

I’ve never been to Berlin; it’s on “the list”. Safe travels!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6430
Joined  31-01-2012

28 August 2017 06:08

Cool trip.

My bucket list includes at some point punching you all in the face before buying you a delicious beer you’ve never had. In Paris. It’s nice there.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

28 August 2017 06:44

Jb8989 - 28 August 2017 06:08 AM

Cool trip.

My bucket list includes at some point punching you all in the face before buying you a delicious beer you’ve never had. In Paris. It’s nice there.

You’re all talk. You’ve been hiding from me for years.

Paris isn’t really a beer city although we found a couple of local brews we liked all right. We’re NOT beer snobs, by any means. A decent mass-produced lager or pilsner is all I ask.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

28 August 2017 07:54

bigredfutbol - 28 August 2017 06:44 AM

Cool trip.

Paris isn’t really a beer city although we found a couple of local brews we liked all right. We’re NOT beer snobs, by any means. A decent mass-produced lager or pilsner is all I ask.

Germany would be a good choice for you.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

28 August 2017 08:16

Jefe - 28 August 2017 07:54 AM

Cool trip.

Oh, hell yeah. It’s on the short list of places we plan to go in the near future.

My wife actually lived in Germany for a year with her Dad in the mid-80s. She’s pretty much lost her fluency in the language although she can still more or less follow what people are saying.

But man, I loved Paris.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

28 August 2017 08:37

bigredfutbol - 28 August 2017 08:16 AM

Cool trip.

Oh, hell yeah. It’s on the short list of places we plan to go in the near future.

My wife actually lived in Germany for a year with her Dad in the mid-80s. She’s pretty much lost her fluency in the language although she can still more or less follow what people are saying.

But man, I loved Paris.

Paris is on my bucket list.  My wife and I REALLY enjoyed Germany though.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21905
Joined  11-03-2007

28 August 2017 08:45

burt - 28 August 2017 04:45 AM

Did, that’s why it was almost tolerable. Unfortunately those little cubicles are about 3 inches too short for me to really stretch out.

Oh, so go First Class.  (heh!)  I agree, the cubicles are a little cramped, and I’m only 5’9”.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

28 August 2017 08:54

Jefe - 28 August 2017 08:37 AM

Cool trip.

But man, I loved Paris.

I suspect we’ll love Germany.

Not sure where we’re going next summer. My wife didn’t go home this summer so she’ll for sure spend a few weeks in Bulgaria next year. Myself and possibly my son will join her for part of the visit. Hopefully we’ll leave the country for a bit—although I’ve made three trips to Bulgaria (twice for a whole summer!) the only other Balkan country I visited while there was one visit to Istanbul in 2000. I loved it so much I actually applied for a job but got cold feet when they actually contacted me upon return to the States—I’ve always regretted that path not taken, given that we were pretty miserable the next two years with what we ended up doing instead.

My wife and son have gone to Greece without me (longer visit—I joined them after they’d been there a couple of weeks) and they’d love to go back so I can see it too; I desperately want to visit Bosnia, and also Croatia/Slovenia and actually I’m interested in most of the former Yugoslavia plus Albania. I have friends from Bosnia, some of whom live there now. I want to do it just with my family though, and not got roped into either a tour group or along with other friends from Bulgaria (no offense to them, but I have particular reasons for wanting to go which would not jive well with other people who would likely mostly be interested in more tourist-oriented goals).

It’s a big world and I’m not getting any younger…

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

28 August 2017 09:11

bigredfutbol - 28 August 2017 08:54 AM

Cool trip.

But man, I loved Paris.

Not sure where we’re going next summer. My wife didn’t go home this summer so she’ll for sure spend a few weeks in Bulgaria next year. Myself and possibly my son will join her for part of the visit. Hopefully we’ll leave the country for a bit—although I’ve made three trips to Bulgaria (twice for a whole summer!) the only other Balkan country I visited while there was one visit to Istanbul in 2000. I loved it so much I actually applied for a job but got cold feet when they actually contacted me upon return to the States—I’ve always regretted that path not taken, given that we were pretty miserable the next two years with what we ended up doing instead.

My wife and son have gone to Greece without me (longer visit—I joined them after they’d been there a couple of weeks) and they’d love to go back so I can see it too; I desperately want to visit Bosnia, and also Croatia/Slovenia and actually I’m interested in most of the former Yugoslavia plus Albania. I have friends from Bosnia, some of whom live there now. I want to do it just with my family though, and not got roped into either a tour group or along with other friends from Bulgaria (no offense to them, but I have particular reasons for wanting to go which would not jive well with other people who would likely mostly be interested in more tourist-oriented goals).

A young fellow who working in my office about 7 years ago, got offered a job in Spain.  (We’re in Canada.)
I told him to go for it, no hesitation.  He was in his 20’s and had no lasting attachments to mortgages or anything.
Now he’s married to a nice Portuguese girl and they have a 1.5 y/o.

I never really had an offer or opportunity like that come up before I was tied down a little too much to accept with few complications.

I’d love to try working in Eurasia somewhere for a few years….but I think we’ll probably just travel around like hobos when we’re retired.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

28 August 2017 10:44

EN - 28 August 2017 08:45 AM

Oh, so go First Class.  (heh!)  I agree, the cubicles are a little cramped, and I’m only 5’9”.

For Air Canada Business and First Class are the same thing. Did have a good tenderloin, however, and a free glass of port to tide me over.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

28 August 2017 10:47

Cool trip.

But man, I loved Paris.

Suggest combining a trip to Bulgaria with a river cruise from Budapest to Bucharest. My sister-in-law lives in Florence so I’m always on the look out for conferences I could go to in Italy.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

28 August 2017 10:50

Jefe - 28 August 2017 09:11 AM

Cool trip.

But man, I loved Paris.

A young fellow who working in my office about 7 years ago, got offered a job in Spain.  (We’re in Canada.)
I told him to go for it, no hesitation.  He was in his 20’s and had no lasting attachments to mortgages or anything.
Now he’s married to a nice Portuguese girl and they have a 1.5 y/o.

I never really had an offer or opportunity like that come up before I was tied down a little too much to accept with few complications.

I’d love to try working in Eurasia somewhere for a few years….but I think we’ll probably just travel around like hobos when we’re retired.

I’d just graduated from University of Texas and the job market was poor. Applied for a job in Tehran and spent a year and a half in Iran. Definitely agree with your advice. See something of the world. Travel and learn the ways of men like Odysseus. (But perhaps not for so long)

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

28 August 2017 14:39

burt - 28 August 2017 10:44 AM
EN - 28 August 2017 08:45 AM

For Air Canada Business and First Class are the same thing. Did have a good tenderloin, however, and a free glass of port to tide me over.

Ah, OK—gotta say it:  First World problems.

1 2 3 >  Last ›