Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

28 August 2017 14:56

hannahtoo - 28 August 2017 02:39 PM
burt - 28 August 2017 10:44 AM
EN - 28 August 2017 08:45 AM
burt - 28 August 2017 04:45 AM
EN - 28 August 2017 04:41 AM

Wow.  Have fun and drink plenty of wine .

Start flying business class.  It’s worth it at our age.

Did, that’s why it was almost tolerable. Unfortunately those little cubicles are about 3 inches too short for me to really stretch out.

Oh, so go First Class.  (heh!)  I agree, the cubicles are a little cramped, and I’m only 5’9”.

For Air Canada Business and First Class are the same thing. Did have a good tenderloin, however, and a free glass of port to tide me over.

Ah, OK—gotta say it:  First World problems.

Those are the best problems to have.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

28 August 2017 16:30

EN - 28 August 2017 02:56 PM

Did, that’s why it was almost tolerable. Unfortunately those little cubicles are about 3 inches too short for me to really stretch out.

Oh, so go First Class.  (heh!)  I agree, the cubicles are a little cramped, and I’m only 5’9”.

For Air Canada Business and First Class are the same thing. Did have a good tenderloin, however, and a free glass of port to tide me over.

Insular.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15809
Joined  17-12-2006

28 August 2017 22:21

bbearren - 28 August 2017 04:30 PM

Insular.

Peninsular—we’re all connected.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

29 August 2017 14:33

burt - 28 August 2017 10:21 PM

Insular.

Not if First World problems are the best problems to have.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

29 August 2017 19:29

Insular.

You know nothing about me or how I live my life.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

29 August 2017 22:55

bbearren - 29 August 2017 02:33 PM
burt - 28 August 2017 10:21 PM

Insular.

Not if First World problems are the best problems to have.

I think he’s expressing a personal preference.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5614
Joined  05-04-2006

30 August 2017 06:06

My First-world problem: I scored a ticket to a sold-out show in Baltimore tomorrow night; but my iPhone is currently out of service because (long boring story) I had to request a full restoration of my iTunes account, which can take several days. So I’m gonna have to borrow my wife’s phone to be able to text & find the guy with the ticket once I get to Baltimore.

I am very, very grateful that THIS is the most complicated problem I have to deal with this week.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

30 August 2017 08:04

bigredfutbol - 30 August 2017 06:06 AM

My First-world problem: I scored a ticket to a sold-out show in Baltimore tomorrow night; but my iPhone is currently out of service because (long boring story) I had to request a full restoration of my iTunes account, which can take several days. So I’m gonna have to borrow my wife’s phone to be able to text & find the guy with the ticket once I get to Baltimore.

I am very, very grateful that THIS is the most complicated problem I have to deal with this week.

Good on you, mate. My main problem today is deciding if I want to walk to a restaurant for dinner (have been walking all day, visited the Louve then Orsay, walking all the way) or force the wife to prepare something after she’s been walking all day even further than I have. Of course, I know what she’ll say and that will resolve the issue completely as I’ll just reply “Yes, dear.”

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

30 August 2017 08:19

Unfortunately, the news we hear daily is rarely the good news.  Flash!  People are on vacation, enjoying life.  Doesn’t have to be an expensive vacation.  Flash!  People are camping and fishing.  People are lying in the sun on towels, drinking cold drinks.  Or flash!  People are enjoying the local festival.  Or flash!  The harvest went well enough.  Joe Smith made some progress on his project at work.  The highway construction finished up, and the road is open to all lanes.  Grandma got a phone call from a dear old friend.  Little Joe jr took his first steps.

Yes, there is so much trouble in the world.  But I wonder, if we could quantify the good and bad things, which would dominate?  Is the glass half full or half empty?

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

30 August 2017 08:29

hannahtoo - 30 August 2017 08:19 AM

Unfortunately, the news we hear daily is rarely the good news.  Flash!  People are on vacation, enjoying life.  Doesn’t have to be an expensive vacation.  Flash!  People are camping and fishing.  People are lying in the sun on towels, drinking cold drinks.  Or flash!  People are enjoying the local festival.  Or flash!  The harvest went well enough.  Joe Smith made some progress on his project at work.  The highway construction finished up, and the road is open to all lanes.  Grandma got a phone call from a dear old friend.  Little Joe jr took his first steps.

Yes, there is so much trouble in the world.  But I wonder, if we could quantify the good and bad things, which would dominate?  Is the glass half full or half empty?

With some implied caveats, I’d argue that the reason we so rarely here the “good news” is that there isn’t much. Not that I’m being dark or cynical—my point is that what is “news” is generally the unconventional, the exceptional, the break in the norm, the rupture of the routine. And most of the time, people are good and kind, or at least tolerant and cooperative. It’s not “news” that thousands of volunteers will delivering Meals on Wheels to isolated elders today, because it’s a mundane thing that happens every day.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

30 August 2017 08:33

burt - 30 August 2017 08:04 AM

Good on you, mate. My main problem today is deciding if I want to walk to a restaurant for dinner (have been walking all day, visited the Louve then Orsay, walking all the way) or force the wife to prepare something after she’s been walking all day even further than I have. Of course, I know what she’ll say and that will resolve the issue completely as I’ll just reply “Yes, dear.”

The Louvre will wear you out but is SO worth it! We’ll have to catch the Orsay next time. It sounds like you’re having a great trip, I’m glad to hear it.

I vote for the restaurant. You can always rest your feet when you get back home.

My only issue with this show is that it’s at a bar and the band—Guided by Voices—are pretty much a beer-drinking-is-mandatory type experience. Given that I’ll need to drive all the way from Baltimore to northern Virginia after the show, I need to pace & limit myself accordingly. I’ve done it before—I once saw them in Philly and then drove all the way home at midnight—but I’m sure sometime around the first encore I’ll have a moment where I’ll wish I was stumbling a few blocks to a downtown hotel room instead of dutifully motoring back to my quiet suburban townhouse.

[ Edited: 30 August 2017 08:40 by bigredfutbol]

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

30 August 2017 09:37

bigredfutbol - 30 August 2017 08:33 AM

The Louvre will wear you out but is SO worth it! We’ll have to catch the Orsay next time. It sounds like you’re having a great trip, I’m glad to hear it.

I vote for the restaurant. You can always rest your feet when you get back home.

My only issue with this show is that it’s at a bar and the band—Guided by Voices—are pretty much a beer-drinking-is-mandatory type experience. Given that I’ll need to drive all the way from Baltimore to northern Virginia after the show, I need to pace & limit myself accordingly. I’ve done it before—I once saw them in Philly and then drove all the way home at midnight—but I’m sure sometime around the first encore I’ll have a moment where I’ll wish I was stumbling a few blocks to a downtown hotel room instead of dutifully motoring back to my quiet suburban townhouse.

Have been there.

Wife just got back, 3rd option: “I’m too tired to move, you go out and get some take-out.”

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

30 August 2017 09:42

burt - 30 August 2017 09:37 AM
bigredfutbol - 30 August 2017 08:33 AM

Have been there.

Wife just got back, 3rd option: “I’m too tired to move, you go out and get some take-out.”

The good news—in Paris, that’s STILL a good option!

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

30 August 2017 10:55

bigredfutbol - 30 August 2017 08:29 AM
hannahtoo - 30 August 2017 08:19 AM

With some implied caveats, I’d argue that the reason we so rarely here the “good news” is that there isn’t much. Not that I’m being dark or cynical—my point is that what is “news” is generally the unconventional, the exceptional, the break in the norm, the rupture of the routine. And most of the time, people are good and kind, or at least tolerant and cooperative. It’s not “news” that thousands of volunteers will delivering Meals on Wheels to isolated elders today, because it’s a mundane thing that happens every day.

Maybe some of the ‘problem’ is that we just need to regularly stop and take a look at our glass.
Taking a breath, and appreciating the things currently in our lives that make us happy, and recognizing them for what they are, can sometimes be just as uplifting as a vacation in Paris.  (Not always, and I grant that we all have our personal struggles and not everything is roses and fresh baguettes.)

“News” generates revenue based on click-throughs and ratings - mostly formulated via shock-factor, emotional-factor or demographic-expectations.
News is not the only thing we should pay attention to.

That being said, I’m going to go take my wife and my dogs to the off-leash park tonight and run around with them - because that’s a big part of my happy.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

31 August 2017 11:48

It’s good news waking up this handsome everyday.

< 1 2 3 4 >