1 2 3 >  Last ›

The Waking Up Podcast Guest Suggestion Thread

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

29 August 2017 11:41

The Waking Up Podcast Guest Suggestion Thread

This is overdue but here’s the idea. This thread is a sticky that stays at the top and will not slip away down the page. It is too late to add all the previous guest suggestions so feel free to plug them again.

Who should The Boss talk to?

[ Edited: 02 September 2017 09:57 by Nhoj Morley]

Sir Drinks-a-Lot

Sir Drinks-a-Lot
Total Posts:  79
Joined  04-06-2017

29 August 2017 13:44

Ben Shapiro
Milo Yiannopolis
Sean B. Carroll
Thomas Sowell
Craig Venter

ETA: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty of Armstrong and Getty Radio would be great guests. They’re funny, intelligent, clever, and see things differently from Sam Harris.

[ Edited: 31 August 2017 16:04 by Sir Drinks-a-Lot]

Igawa

Igawa
Total Posts:  377
Joined  19-07-2017

29 August 2017 13:52

Jordan Peterson again, discussing his new lecture series on the bible.

JessicaJa

JessicaJa
Total Posts:  1
Joined  13-08-2017

30 August 2017 19:23

Milo Yiannopolis.
Elon Musk.
Hamed Abdel-Samad.

[ Edited: 30 August 2017 19:31 by JessicaJa]

joha

joha
Total Posts:  2
Joined  31-08-2017

31 August 2017 01:10

I’d like to hear Sam speak with Brendan O’Neill on the topic of the current state of the political left.

Nikolai Narcisse

Nikolai Narcisse
Total Posts:  34
Joined  02-06-2017

31 August 2017 23:56

Robert Reich: Reich hosts his own (daily) podcast. He seems to have time on his hands.

Bret Easton Ellis: Another podcaster with some fiery intellectual opinions (I wish he’d get back to actually writing, though).

Alain de Botton: The School of Life definitely qualifies Botton as a great potential guest.

Keith Olbermann: I think Sam and Olbermann would get along. And it would piss off some Trumpkins.

Slavoj Zizek: It would probably be a chaotic talk but if anyone can keep Zizek focussed, it would be Sam.

Yann Martel: I think they would find some common ground in terms of their “spirituality” (RE: “self” and “life of Pi”)

Bruce Cockburn: Brilliant songwriter and somebody who has led a fascinating life. Plenty to talk about with regards to his journalistic songwriting, his “finding myself” backpacking through Europe, etc.

Jan Fedorowicz: A well-respected, Cambridge-educated expert on terrorism who runs a strategic consulting firm, is an award winning economics historian and an educator whose courses range from futurist thought to the effects of communication on power.

Ted Kaczynski: Ever since Sam mentioned wanting to interview The Unabomber, I’ve been dying to see it happen. Could make a fascinating book, Sam! Or a podcast based on a string of correspondence.

[ Edited: 01 September 2017 15:18 by Nikolai Narcisse]

Sir Drinks-a-Lot

Sir Drinks-a-Lot
Joined  04-06-2017

01 September 2017 10:41

Nikolai Narcisse - 31 August 2017 11:56 PM

Alain de Botton: The School of Life definitely qualifies Botton as a great potential guest.

Slavoj Zizek: It would probably be a chaotic talk but if anyone can keep Zizek focussed, it would be Sam.

I’d be interested in these two, primarily since I am still unfamiliar with them but keep seeing their names. I’m not sure why, but I somehow suspect Zizek to be a word salary postmodernist.

Ted Kaczynski: Ever since Sam mentioned wanting to interview The Unabomber, I’ve been dying to see it happen. Could make a fascinating book, Sam! Or a podcast based on a string of correspondence.

This would be great.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

01 September 2017 12:33

George Lakoff
Daniel Kahneman

Nikolai Narcisse

Nikolai Narcisse
Joined  02-06-2017

01 September 2017 15:24

Sir Drinks-a-Lot - 01 September 2017 10:41 AM

I’d be interested in these two, primarily since I am still unfamiliar with them but keep seeing their names. I’m not sure why, but I somehow suspect Zizek to be a word salary postmodernist.

You should absolutely go to Youtube and search for The School of Life. I find myself watching their videos about literature when I have nothing better to do. I can’t recommend it more.

As for Zizek, if you were interested in getting to know him, I recommend these two books: “Violence” and “Event”. I may not agree with everything he says (or understand when he starts babbling about Lacan or Hegel) but he’s never dull.

More recommendations for the list:

Exurb1a. His Youtube channel is full of wonderful little philosophical videos that are hilarious and accessible. (RE: “Genocide Bingo”).

Bruce Bawer: Author of “While Europe Slept” and “Surrender”. It’s kind of surprising that Sam hasn’t talked to this man yet.

[ Edited: 02 September 2017 13:17 by Nikolai Narcisse]

Hitchens Immortal

Hitchens Immortal
Total Posts:  447
Joined  19-06-2016

02 September 2017 06:37

Just Steven Pinker, thanks.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

02 September 2017 10:00

I would like The Boss to talk to Joshua Green about Bannon and Primalism.

Garn

Garn
Joined  02-09-2017

02 September 2017 12:37

Please have Elon Musk on your Podcast!
Thanks Sam for all you do. Keep up the great work.

Nikolai Narcisse

Nikolai Narcisse
Joined  02-06-2017

03 September 2017 17:14

Thought of a few more:

Ricky Gervais: Every now and then, I see them interacting on Twitter. Gervais has said that he holds Sam in high regard. Perhaps there is something there.

Jacob Kovalio: Since Sam has shown interest lately in North Korea, it would serve him well to speak to somebody who is an expert in the area. To describe Dr. Kovalio as an expert on Asia would be underselling him. He has published numerous articles on pan-Asian relations, has been the recipient of numerous awards and fellowships, was the organizer of conferences run by the Japan Studies Association of Canada and runs the Japan Pacific World Consulting Firm. He’s just brilliant. I’ve been fortunate enough to have participated in his classes multiple times. Easily my best experiences at university have been because of him.

Louis Theroux: I recommend taking a look at his documentary “My Scientology Movie”. Documentarians can be fascinating people to talk to.

[ Edited: 03 September 2017 17:37 by Nikolai Narcisse]

Sir Drinks-a-Lot

Sir Drinks-a-Lot
Joined  04-06-2017

03 September 2017 17:53

Nikolai Narcisse - 03 September 2017 05:14 PM

Ricky Gervais: Every now and then, I see them interacting on Twitter. Gervais has said that he holds Sam in high regard. Perhaps there is something there.

Great suggestion!

Nikolai Narcisse

Nikolai Narcisse
Joined  02-06-2017

03 September 2017 18:14

Sir Drinks-a-Lot - 03 September 2017 05:53 PM
Nikolai Narcisse - 03 September 2017 05:14 PM

Great suggestion!

What can I say? I absolutely love this podcast. Sam has had a huge influence on my life (he was even so kind as to answer a question of mine back on AMA #6, around 35:55), so helping out with suggestions like this seems like the least I could do.

Guest Suggestions

Stephen Fry: Hearing him debate alongside the late, great Christopher Hitchens against the Catholic Church was inspirational, to say the least.

Werner Herzog: Another fascinating documentarian/director. I’d like to hear Sam’s thoughts on Lo And Behold.

[ Edited: 03 September 2017 21:21 by Nikolai Narcisse]

ramses

ramses
Joined  03-09-2017

03 September 2017 20:14

Nina Teicholz, author of “The Big Fat Surprise. Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet.” — this is a topic that is interesting to Sam Harris himself.

J. D. Vance, author of “Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis” — another topic of interest to Sam Harris himself, as Harris keeps asking about “universal income” and discussed the problems of cognitive stratification with Prof. Murray.

(paying listener here, if that helps)

1 2 3 >  Last ›