Jane Goodall
Stephen Colbert
Harold Bloom

otomaJupiter

otomaJupiter
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-09-2017

05 September 2017 15:33

I have one adorable guest. Should be very interesting and tough.
String theorist

Lubos Motl

Popular blogger (https://motls.blogspot.com)
Ex-Harvard researcher
Extreme right-wing conservative atheist
Anti-superintelligence, anti-climate, anti-almost everything guy
Just trust me, it would be real fun!

Nikolai Narcisse

Nikolai Narcisse
Total Posts:  34
Joined  02-06-2017

05 September 2017 18:05

otomaJupiter - 05 September 2017 03:33 PM

I have one adorable guest. Should be very interesting and tough.
String theorist

Lubos Motl

Popular blogger (https://motls.blogspot.com)
Ex-Harvard researcher
Extreme right-wing conservative atheist
Anti-superintelligence, anti-climate, anti-almost everything guy
Just trust me, it would be real fun!

So you’re going for a “The Best Podcast Ever, Part Deux” here? haha. Just from what Wikipedia says, this sounds like it would be painful to listen to.

Guest Suggestions (I’m making a point of contributing new suggestions even if I’m only reacting to new posts)

Col. Chris Hadfield: An astronaut. Can’t go wrong with a suggestion like that!

otomaJupiter

otomaJupiter
Joined  05-09-2017

06 September 2017 01:40

Oh, common. You cannot compare islamic-intellectual with true non-ortodox superbright mind. When you want to do good work you have to be able to do all, the good, the bad and the ugly. True man is the one who can get the most from each possible situation. And I’m kind of bored with all the guys just saying great, great exactly and blablablah. It has to be kind of Feynman’s “You are crazy!” to be true constructive discussion. And also, true man (or woman or black) should be able to defend his ideas and confront them with smart people (with different viewpoint) as well.

Lubos Motl
(would be the top of the top!)

Christof Koch
(would be very nice and polite, but also cool)

Nikolai Narcisse

Nikolai Narcisse
Total Posts:  34
Joined  02-06-2017

06 September 2017 02:05

otomaJupiter - 06 September 2017 01:40 AM

Oh, common. You cannot compare islamic-intellectual with true non-ortodox superbright mind. When you want to do good work you have to be able to do all, the good, the bad and the ugly. True man is the one who can get the most from each possible situation. And I’m kind of bored with all the guys just saying great, great exactly and blablablah. It has to be kind of Feynman’s “You are crazy!” to be true constructive discussion. And also, true man (or woman or black) should be able to defend his ideas and confront them with smart people (with different viewpoint) as well.

I would not dispute any of what you have just wrote but I do not think that Sam really intends his podcast to be a platform for debates.

I personally like a little intellectual bloodsport and enjoyed the episode with Omar Aziz. Maybe I should be hoping for Motl to be on. Though he sounds like he’s an anti-everything person purely to be contrarian.

Guest Suggestions

Aubrey De Gray: I particularly like his idea of treating aging like a master malady that needs to be cured.

Bill Nye: An always enjoyable educator and lecturer. His debate with Ken Ham was wonderful to watch.

Alex Garland: He definitely has some interesting ideas on AI dangers and consciousness.

David Silverman: Somebody who is trying to raise awareness for the atheist vote in America should be given a bigger spotlight.

“The Amazing” James Randi: Somebody who has spent their life debunking paranormal activity and psychic powers is definitely worth Sam’s time.

Taslima Nasrin: The secular activist who was exiled from her native Bangladesh in 1994.

otomaJupiter

otomaJupiter
Joined  05-09-2017

06 September 2017 02:23

Ok great, you would have not been disappointed, I can guarantee (:

“Though he sounds like he’s an anti-everything person purely to be contrarian.”
It is not true, he is (L. Motl) very stable in some areas - AI, Climate alarmists, affirmative action, Harvard & Lawrence Summer, Trump, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg, ... (all idiots), Physics, String theory, Information theory, ... and many others

It would be nice encounter because Lubos Motl is hard scientist, mathematical physicist (like an undergrad wrote decent algebra textbook) but has lack of knowledge in biology, neuroscience and philosophy and Sam Harris is complete opposite. I would really like to hear this well know “socratic dialogue” that Sam uses ultimately in contrast with common sense (countryside intelligence) and hard math reasoning.

Sir Drinks-a-Lot

Sir Drinks-a-Lot
Total Posts:  79
Joined  04-06-2017

06 September 2017 10:09

Victor Davis Hanson would be nice.

dhave

dhave
Total Posts:  284
Joined  25-09-2016

06 September 2017 19:57

I’ll cast a vote for James Damore unless Sam thinks this young intellingent lad has been interviewed enough already.  I was just listening to his interview with Joe Rogan and it is so refreshing to hear this shy genuine-sounding kid remind us that the emperor has no clothes.

Maybe Sam could weave it into a larger context like “is racism somehow available to everyone in their genes?”  The kid cracks me up: with all the discussion his Google predicament has generated, he’s still worried that he might polarize us further!

No doubt compassion has a genetic component too.

Regards,
Dave.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6436
Joined  31-01-2012

07 September 2017 05:31

Trump as a period piece for parody

Sir Drinks-a-Lot

Sir Drinks-a-Lot
Total Posts:  79
Joined  04-06-2017

07 September 2017 09:45

Jb8989 - 07 September 2017 05:31 AM

I’d listen.

dhave

dhave
Total Posts:  284
Joined  25-09-2016

09 September 2017 19:13

Ignore my previous suggestion, excellent though it may be.  I’d really like to hear Sam address the issues around The Enigma of Reason mentioned in this post.  The Bad Wizards dance around it in Episode #119 but Sam could do a better job.

In one of the Joe Rogan podcasts, Jordan Perterson gives his postmodernism-in-a-nutshell talk.  He talks about the “truth” of there always being multiple perspectives available—postmodernism shows that we cannot get around this—but then he spins off into Marxism which I feel is a red herring that people associate with postmodernism, supported only by historical anecdotes, to avoid facing the main problem of multiple perspectives.

So there are two issues: 1) our values are often visceral, cultural, from the gut, yet we don’t mention and include this in our compelling reasoned ethical debates; 2) there are always multiple perspectives, yet we speak as though our particular moral choices are somehow “true”.

I’m not saying Sam needs to go all relativist, but these issues need to be incorporated somehow rather than simply ignored; otherwise, you’re a chicken.  Jonathan Haidt called himself a moral pluralist, we got a taste of these issues in that podcast.

I’m not impressed with these Bad Wizard podcasts.  In Episode #119, they begin with a conflation of “freedom” and “free will” with examples of how people historically would redefine “freedom” when living under tyranny in such a way that they remained “free” while the tyrant was not.  They end with a “debunking” of the Libet study (where your brain chooses before your cognition kicks in) by redefining “free will” such that the Libet experiment is irrelevant.  Sigh.

In spite of all this, Tamler manages to get off a summary of the actual problem near 8 minutes before the end of Episode #119:  “You’re kidding yourself, and it is a conceit of analytic philosophy, to think that you can somehow abstract yourself from your own personal history and experience and just analyze moral arguments on a completely objective plane.”

Regards,
Dave.

NorrisM

NorrisM
Total Posts:  17
Joined  12-09-2017

12 September 2017 16:49

See NorrisM comment @155.  I would suggest Steve Koonin or Judith Curry as a counterweight to Joe Romm for the reasons expressed in the comment.

Lamonster

Lamonster
Total Posts:  1
Joined  15-09-2017

15 September 2017 11:03

Peter Joseph of The Zeitgeist Movement
Elon Musk of Tesla

Giulio

Giulio
Total Posts:  272
Joined  26-10-2016

15 September 2017 14:09

Roberto Calasso on the role of (or need for) literature and myhtology in understanding of our world and bygone worlds

Robert Thurman on the nature of spirituality, and the role for spiritual traditions in the 21 C.

Dan Dennett on his new book “From Bacteria to Bach and Back Again” - specifically on Ch 14 (Consciousness as an Evolved User-Illusion).

Danny Dorling and Carl Lee (authors of Geography), on why should Geography be taken seriously today as a discipline.

[ Edited: 15 September 2017 15:28 by Giulio]

Giulio

Giulio
Total Posts:  272
Joined  26-10-2016

15 September 2017 14:12

Jb8989 - 07 September 2017 05:31 AM

Maybe with the right accent he could lure Trump Jnr onto the podcast.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›