1 2 > 

Not even one mitzvah?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6753
Joined  15-05-2009

06 October 2017 16:40

There is a small Chabad, an Orthodox Jewish congregation, in my neighborhood.  I think my next door neighbor’s son, who is Orthodox, let them know I was raised Jewish.  So on every recent holiday, one or two sweet teenage boys, dressed in black suits, with a black hats, come to my door to invite me to join in on their celebration. 

One Passover, I dropped my brother off at their Seder because he still likes this sort of get together.  But when I went to pick him up after midnight, he complained that the ceremonial part was still dragging on, and dinner had not yet been served.  (Thank goodness the ceremony included matzoh, wine, and some other foods, or my bro would have been desperate.)

On other holidays, they’ve convinced me to accept their offering of food—once flat bread, and another time cake.  They are trying to get me to participate, but I really do not want to.

Today, a boy knocked on the door, big smile, and offered to do a brief ceremony in honor of Sukkot, right on my door step.  “It’ll just take one minute,” he said.  I tried to make him understand that I do not consider myself a Jew any more.  He said, “Just one mitzvah for God?”  No thank you, I said as kindly as I could.

His face fell, and I felt bad to let one so young know that I am lost to his people.  Poor God.  But, hey, I do different sorts of mitzvahs that are right for me.

Anyway, why should I feel guilty?  I wouldn’t say the rosary with a Catholic.  I wouldn’t chant with Buddhists.  Isn’t multiculturalism about living alongside and accepting differences? 

I’m wondering if other people here want to share experiences in the struggle of living respectfully with people of faith.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

06 October 2017 17:50

hannahtoo - 06 October 2017 04:40 PM

There is a small Chabad, an Orthodox Jewish congregation, in my neighborhood.  I think my next door neighbor’s son, who is Orthodox, let them know I was raised Jewish.  So on every recent holiday, one or two sweet teenage boys, dressed in black suits, with a black hats, come to my door to invite me to join in on their celebration. 

One Passover, I dropped my brother off at their Seder because he still likes this sort of get together.  But when I went to pick him up after midnight, he complained that the ceremonial part was still dragging on, and dinner had not yet been served.  (Thank goodness the ceremony included matzoh, wine, and some other foods, or my bro would have been desperate.)

On other holidays, they’ve convinced me to accept their offering of food—once flat bread, and another time cake.  They are trying to get me to participate, but I really do not want to.

Today, a boy knocked on the door, big smile, and offered to do a brief ceremony in honor of Sukkot, right on my door step.  “It’ll just take one minute,” he said.  I tried to make him understand that I do not consider myself a Jew any more.  He said, “Just one mitzvah for God?”  No thank you, I said as kindly as I could.

His face fell, and I felt bad to let one so young know that I am lost to his people.  Poor God.  But, hey, I do different sorts of mitzvahs that are right for me.

Anyway, why should I feel guilty?  I wouldn’t say the rosary with a Catholic.  I wouldn’t chant with Buddhists.  Isn’t multiculturalism about living alongside and accepting differences? 

I’m wondering if other people here want to share experiences in the struggle of living respectfully with people of faith.

You did the right thing.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20535
Joined  11-03-2007

06 October 2017 18:43

I think the issue is whether you feel that you are a Jew anymore.  Jeff considers himself a Jew, so he should do what Jews do.  I think you don’t consider yourself a Jew, so you did the right thing.  Jeff, what do you do?

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  31-01-2012

07 October 2017 06:17

The guilt you’re feeling is probably just that kid’s nieve reaction to not knowing that some people are different. Do you, lady.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

07 October 2017 07:09

Yeah, I’m realizing lately that I strive overly much to be a pleaser.  I want everyone to be happy.  In this situation, I related to the young man because I have two sons of my own (now grown), and I appreciate that age of innocent enthusiasm.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

07 October 2017 07:19

EN - 06 October 2017 06:43 PM

I think the issue is whether you feel that you are a Jew anymore.  Jeff considers himself a Jew, so he should do what Jews do.  I think you don’t consider yourself a Jew, so you did the right thing.  Jeff, what do you do?

I’m ethnically Jewish. Born of Jewish parents from a long line of orthodox jews.
By those parameters alone, I am Jewish.
but Yahweh is fiction.
Praying to imaginary beings is silly.
I don’t see how carrying out rituals in honor of an imaginary being, is a good deed (aka a Mitzvah).
I would be a hypocrite if I humored that kid, some of us would say I would be harming him by reinforcing his non-sensical ideas.

My children are atheists posing as Jews.
That being said.
If my kids are home from college (or work) during hannukah, I recite an abbreviated version of the prayer for lighting the candles and the kids take turns lighting them.
My kids like it when I recite the story of Passover (at Passover dinner)... take note its not your grandmothers version
The bad guy du jour is portrayed as the Pharoah… its Kim Jong Un’s turn

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20535
Joined  11-03-2007

07 October 2017 07:47

jdrnd - 07 October 2017 07:19 AM

I’m ethnically Jewish. Born of Jewish parents from a long line of orthodox jews.
but Yahweh is fiction.
I don’t see how carrying out rituals in honor of an imaginary being, is a good deed (aka a Mitzvah).
I would be a hypocrite if I humored that kid, some of us would say I would be harming him by reinforcing his non-sensical ideas.

That being said.
If my kids are home from college (or work) during hannukah, I recite an abbreviated version of the prayer for lighting the candles and the kids take turns lighting them.
My kids like it when I recite the story of Passover (at Passover dinner)... take note its not your grandmothers version

But if Yahweh doesn’t exist then the whole Jewish thing is fiction, as well.  It’s no different than if I pretended to be a leprechaun. I don’t understand why you don’t toss the whole thing.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9118
Joined  20-10-2006

07 October 2017 08:06

EN - 07 October 2017 07:47 AM
jdrnd - 07 October 2017 07:19 AM

but Yahweh is fiction.

That being said.

But if Yahweh doesn’t exist then the whole Jewish thing is fiction, as well.  It’s no different than if I pretended to be a leprechaun. I don’t understand why you don’t toss the whole thing.

This flaming atheist celebrates Christmas, but without all the religious stuff, because I like the pretty lights and decorations.  And I have young kids and a C&E Catholic wife, so it is easier to just go along with it.  But that is the only “religious” tradition (if Christmas can be call religious anymore) I follow, and, speaking for Jeff, I imagine he enjoys some Jewish traditions for the cultural significance and familiarity.

A Jewish comedian boiled Jewish holidays down to, “They tried to kill us, but they couldn’t.  Let’s eat!”

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

07 October 2017 08:19

Skipshot - 07 October 2017 08:06 AM

This flaming atheist celebrates Christmas, but without all the religious stuff, because I like the pretty lights and decorations.  And I have young kids and a C&E Catholic wife, so it is easier to just go along with it.  But that is the only “religious” tradition (if Christmas can be call religious anymore) I follow, and, speaking for Jeff, I imagine he enjoys some Jewish traditions for the cultural significance and familiarity.

Exactly!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

07 October 2017 08:51

hannahtoo - 07 October 2017 07:09 AM

I appreciate that age of innocent enthusiasm.

Me too. Some people I know and love like this I’m afraid that my skepticism will taint thier blissful ignorance that I’m so fond of. So I keep it superficial on certain things. But strangers are fair game. You just gotta get creative with how you fuck with them. Like, maybe next time let him do is thing and pretend to have a redicilious Tourette’s tick.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

07 October 2017 14:05

Jb8989 - 07 October 2017 08:51 AM

Me too. Some people I know and love like this I’m afraid that my skepticism will taint thier blissful ignorance that I’m so fond of. So I keep it superficial on certain things. But strangers are fair game. You just gotta get creative with how you fuck with them. Like, maybe next time let him do is thing and pretend to have a redicilious Tourette’s tick.

This particular kid made my memory flash back to the time when my kids believed I had most of the answers, and that life was pretty simple.  To me, this is one benefit of having lived long time (in my case nearly 60 years).  That is, every moment is linked to others, enriching the experiences.  Or ruining them…whatever.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

07 October 2017 16:42

hannahtoo - 07 October 2017 02:05 PM

This particular kid made my memory flash back to the time when my kids believed I had most of the answers, and that life was pretty simple.  To me, this is one benefit of having lived long time (in my case nearly 60 years).  That is, every moment is linked to others, enriching the experiences.  Or ruining them…whatever.

I can’t imagine. Being the world to someone has to be the best feeling. I don’t have kids, and even though I recognize that my parents are hooligans, I still think that their life lessons are what formed me. And I love them to death for it. I will say, however, that most people don’t describe the time when thier kids were sponges as “simple.” LOL

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

07 October 2017 16:57

Jb8989 - 07 October 2017 04:42 PM

I can’t imagine. Being the world to someone has to be the best feeling. I don’t have kids, and even though I recognize that my parents are hooligans, I still think that their life lessons are what formed me. And I love them to death for it. I will say, however, that most people don’t describe the time when thier kids were sponges as “simple.” LOL

Well, there was a brief window of time when I felt that my sons really trusted me to explain the world to them.  Now they explain the world to me.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

07 October 2017 18:10

hannahtoo - 07 October 2017 04:57 PM

Well, there was a brief window of time when I felt that my sons really trusted me to explain the world to them.  Now they explain the world to me.

Maybe, but also Bullshit. Wisdom comes with age regardless of even intelligence.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

08 October 2017 06:31

Jb8989 - 07 October 2017 06:10 PM

Maybe, but also Bullshit. Wisdom comes with age regardless of even intelligence.

However, the young (in this case, in their late 20’s) can be uncannily insightful on occasion.  It is a delightful surprise.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

08 October 2017 07:16

hannahtoo - 08 October 2017 06:31 AM
Jb8989 - 07 October 2017 06:10 PM

However, the young (in this case, in their late 20’s) can be uncannily insightful on occasion.  It is a delightful surprise.

Interestingly almost all scientific  Nobel prizes are won from work done in the person’s 20s (From “The Scientific Elite” by Susan Zuckerman).

1 2 >