Are there any Delusionists out there?

James Sirois

James Sirois
Total Posts:  75
Joined  28-10-2017

29 October 2017 19:44

This is like a very small faction of Nihilism, apparently started in the 90s
in the UK. I’d like to get in touch with some people who know more about delusionism.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5969
Joined  31-01-2012

30 October 2017 10:30

Who are they?

James Sirois

James Sirois
Joined  28-10-2017

30 October 2017 10:43

Jb8989 - 30 October 2017 10:30 AM

Who are they?

Basically they are people who make a link to the nihilist paradox.

Like for example, Hegarty says “that the absence of meaning seems to be some sort of meaning”, and that’s
the paradox of Nihilism but delusionists say that this paradox in itself is a delusion. But I want to confirm if that’s
really the root of what delusionism is or not.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4784
Joined  28-05-2009

30 October 2017 17:45

I’m not finding any consistency in the definitions.

I appreciates things that are absurdist or celebrate paradox but it’s hard for me to think about it as a complete epistemology. I don’t think it tracks with real experience. I don’t see how it could be a first philosophy. I’m open to it… I just can’t imagine basing a world view on that.

James Sirois

James Sirois
Joined  28-10-2017

31 October 2017 00:19

Brick Bungalow - 30 October 2017 05:45 PM

I’m not finding any consistency in the definitions.

I appreciates things that are absurdist or celebrate paradox but it’s hard for me to think about it as a complete epistemology. I don’t think it tracks with real experience. I don’t see how it could be a first philosophy. I’m open to it… I just can’t imagine basing a world view on that.

This is whats strange, I actually fell into delusionism myself, without any knowledge of it and created a sort of philosophy. Before even finishing
it, it struck me that this might already be something established and sure enough when I looked it up, there was only one blog detailing
what it is. I tried to contact them but it has been inactive for several years now.

But to give you perspective, the idea I personally created behind delusionism is that it is not really a philosophy but rather
a dimension between philosophies that one floats around in until they take on what I call “stable belief”.
You can also float in and out of stable belief as well. Think of it a like a hyper focused agnosticism.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3184
Joined  26-01-2010

06 November 2017 19:26

According to the OP’s description, delusionism seems to me to be a “reasonable” response to those varieties of post-modernism that assert that all stories are equally valid (or invalid, if you prefer) because none of them can be shown to be absolutely true and each of them is biased by the prior context of its storyteller. Stable belief, then, might be the acceptance of some particular story or stories based upon either Bayesian reasoning or prior bias, or some combination of the two.

I’ll let the OP decide whether or not I am or have been a delusionist in his sense of the term.

wink