< 1 2

Do You Get Chills When You Listen to Music?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5292
Joined  28-05-2009

29 December 2019 21:08

Definitely. I have strong reactions to all kinds of art. I feel for people who don’t engage the world this way. It’s a big part of my motivation for participating in the first place.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3343
Joined  26-01-2010

30 December 2019 01:37

Sometimes, in the right circumstances associated with the right music. It’s not genre-specific, IIRC.

By the way, I actually avoid listening to music most of the time because it’s too distracting from what I’m trying to do. I either get entirely caught up in it or it irritates the hell out of me. I wonder if that correlates with brain wiring?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5292
Joined  28-05-2009

02 January 2020 23:01

Poldano - 30 December 2019 01:37 AM

Sometimes, in the right circumstances associated with the right music. It’s not genre-specific, IIRC.

By the way, I actually avoid listening to music most of the time because it’s too distracting from what I’m trying to do. I either get entirely caught up in it or it irritates the hell out of me. I wonder if that correlates with brain wiring?

This is interesting. My experience is (usually) the opposite. Music improves my concentration and stamina for most tasks.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8974
Joined  20-02-2006

03 January 2020 10:17

A year or two ago I watched a TV program about this girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh8zh0W0As0

Years ago, on rare occasions, I sometimes heard original full-orchestra symphonies in my head, even with ‘passages’ with solos for certain instruments.  This sometimes happened when alone in the wilds for several weeks with no radio, phone or other contact with the world at large.  I could sit and listen to them as though attending a concert.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9834
Joined  20-10-2006

03 January 2020 19:37

unsmoked - 03 January 2020 10:17 AM

A year or two ago I watched a TV program about this girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh8zh0W0As0

Years ago, on rare occasions, I sometimes heard original full-orchestra symphonies in my head, even with ‘passages’ with solos for certain instruments.  This sometimes happened when alone in the wilds for several weeks with no radio, phone or other contact with the world at large.  I could sit and listen to them as though attending a concert.

I have heard of this “music in my head” stuff, but only recently understood it.  My mind is a blank, so the concept of music, ideas, and thoughts drifting in was difficult to grasp.  The mysteries of our amazing brains and their abilities for good and evil are astounding.

I rarely see goals, and admire those who can, because when I see goals then achieving them is easy, so when I read stories like the young girl the story makes sense that she already knows what is going to happen and all she needs to do is externalize it.  Of course I mean large, complex, creative goals, not daily mundane ones

[ Edited: 04 January 2020 07:18 by Skipshot]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

04 January 2020 06:11

Poldano - 30 December 2019 01:37 AM

It’s FAR easier for me to multitask when there are no vocals in the music I’m listening to.

Vociferous Fuckweasel

Vociferous Fuckweasel
Total Posts:  57
Joined  21-06-2019

25 January 2020 05:30

I don’t know if this counts, but every time I hear Rod Stewart’s mutilation of Downtown Train, I get explosive diarrhea of biblical vehemence.

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5780
Joined  27-09-2006

25 January 2020 23:45

Vociferous Fuckweasel - 25 January 2020 05:30 AM

I don’t know if this counts, but every time I hear Rod Stewart’s mutilation of Downtown Train, I get explosive diarrhea of biblical vehemence.

I know what you mean. “Rain Dogs” is one of the great recordings, desert island stuff. The group Everything But The Girl also turns this particular song into a syrupy, romantic haze. One cannot deeply understand this song unless one has grown up, and should follow Tom’s rendition of DT with his version of “Sea of Love”. Somebody stop me: I feel a playlist comin’ on.

Shiver me timbers, I’m a-sailin’ tonight.

Vociferous Fuckweasel

Vociferous Fuckweasel
Total Posts:  57
Joined  21-06-2019

27 January 2020 11:14

Traces Elk - 25 January 2020 11:45 PM
Vociferous Fuckweasel - 25 January 2020 05:30 AM

I know what you mean. “Rain Dogs” is one of the great recordings, desert island stuff. The group Everything But The Girl also turns this particular song into a syrupy, romantic haze. One cannot deeply understand this song unless one has grown up, and should follow Tom’s rendition of DT with his version of “Sea of Love”. Somebody stop me: I feel a playlist comin’ on.

Shiver me timbers, I’m a-sailin’ tonight.

The soundtrack to the 6th circle of hell; Tom Traubert’s Blues, the Elton John version with a solo by Kenny G.

“The perfume is on an old shirt that is stained by blood and vomit:”

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

27 January 2020 11:19

Not chills, but this one always gets me going:

crusaders: stomp and buck

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8974
Joined  20-02-2006

28 January 2020 12:16

A Song for the Koalas -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLu9GmV2vF0  (give it time)

< 1 2