1 2 > 

Redirecting religious fervor in order to dismantle “perpetual extremism.”

IrieCycle

IrieCycle
Total Posts:  15
Joined  18-11-2017

18 November 2017 17:56

“Scripture itself remains a perpetual engine of extremism…”  However, it is possible to redirect the delusional religious indoctrination by using the very same fervor but, with satirical intent and another purpose in mind; i.e. political.  For example:  let me give reference to the famous satire written by Jonathan Swift in 1729 “A Modest Purposal” whom was drumming up political support to elicit empathy and further the Irish cause.  It was a very effective stance for the underprivileged and lower class because it ignited social mobility by speaking the language of the upper class with a creedance of their own.  In my opinion, satirical writting is undervalued and an unexploited vantage point for facilitating positive change in society.

https://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Texts/modest.html

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

19 November 2017 18:03

IrieCycle - 18 November 2017 05:56 PM

“Scripture itself remains a perpetual engine of extremism…”  However, it is possible to redirect the delusional religious indoctrination by using the very same fervor but, with satirical intent and another purpose in mind; i.e. political.  For example:  let me give reference to the famous satire written by Jonathan Swift in 1729 “A Modest Purposal” whom was drumming up political support to elicit empathy and further the Irish cause.  It was a very effective stance for the underprivileged and lower class because it ignited social mobility by speaking the language of the upper class with a creedance of their own.  In my opinion, satirical writting is undervalued and an unexploited vantage point for facilitating positive change in society.

https://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Texts/modest.html

Triecycle,

As you are aware there is currently a congressional bill to rescind the penalties on using children as food. 
Thank you for providing the above article as it gives a historical perspective on the use of this nutritious source of protein. 
Already uncountable numbers of families are supplementing dinner with the tasty parts of their offspring.
It is not fair that many parents have criminal charges brought upon them for merely tasting their own homegrown product.
It is apparent from your post that you support the house bill, H.R. 68, Allowing Children to be a supplemental food source.
I will forward your post to the house chairman for rapid dessemination.

Sincerely
Jeff

[ Edited: 19 November 2017 18:06 by jdrnd]

IrieCycle

IrieCycle
Joined  18-11-2017

20 November 2017 01:42

Hi Jeff, this article was a topic of discussion for a College English class I recently took in Canada.  Granted the nature of what Swift spoke of was gruesome even for me however, I did choose this article out of a list of 4 or 5 to do my English thesis on at the end of the class.  I am not sure if it helps to mention that I am the 7 generation Grandson of General George B. McClellan of the Union Army in the Civil War?  As it turns out, it seems that we share some similar characteristics.  I hope the point I was making in the post resonated with you??  : )  Perhaps I too need to brush up on my ability to filter emotional from rational in the content of what is being conveyed.  Thank you

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 November 2017 05:14

IrieCycle - 20 November 2017 01:42 AM

Granted the nature of what Swift spoke of was gruesome even for me…

You are being hard on yourself.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 November 2017 05:16

IrieCycle - 20 November 2017 01:42 AM

I am not sure if it helps to mention that I am the 7 generation Grandson of General George B. McClellan of the Union Army in the Civil War? 
As it turns out, it seems that we share some similar characteristics.

So you agree that we should allow the south to secede from the united states.

I kind of agree with you.

They have different morals, different rituals, and they have a higher rate of obesity.

IrieCycle

IrieCycle
Joined  18-11-2017

20 November 2017 06:08

So you’re rather instigate an argument than respond to the point I am making in my post?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 November 2017 06:24

IrieCycle - 20 November 2017 06:08 AM

So you’re rather instigate an argument than respond to the point I am making in my post?

No,
just bantering.

[ Edited: 20 November 2017 06:26 by jdrnd]

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 November 2017 06:26

Actually I agree with you.

I am a big fan of satire.

probably bigger fan than you.

... but not everybody is.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 November 2017 06:30

Unfortunately, the tribal nature of our political groupinsg overcomes any benefit that satire and parody might play in changing minds.

But it is fun to do.

A guess you weren’t happy with my comments.

Did I tell you that I am the 67th great grandson of King David?

I wonder whether he was into satire?

IrieCycle

IrieCycle
Joined  18-11-2017

20 November 2017 11:39

The reason I like Sam Harris is because he not only advocates thinking for oneself but teaches it (in the way that he learned and is able).  I am new to this site and hoping that I am able to delve deeper into his teachings and learn something of deeper value.  It has been my experience that the best way to do that is to participate.  I may have been assertive but I do not believe I was being aggressive like your responses.  And aggressive replies are a breach in the rules of the forum.  Where have I been aggressive here?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 November 2017 11:57

IrieCycle - 20 November 2017 11:39 AM

Where have I been aggressive here?

you haven’t.
You have been spectacular.

I have no complaints.

I agree with what you say.

I guess I shouldn’t have been so informal without getting to know you better.

IrieCycle

IrieCycle
Joined  18-11-2017

20 November 2017 12:42

Jeff, you are not reading the content of what I wrote accurately.  Making assumptions about my stance in redirecting religions delusion and fervor may be misconstrued.  I actually have first hand experience with this.  I was force baptized as a Episcopalian at four years old.  I remember how confusing, boring, scaring, and horribly deadening it was (the energy).  I got some presents that I didn’t like very much and when we got home I remember my Dad celebrated with BBQing hamburgers and a seagull flew over and shit on one of the burgers.  He just scraped it off and served it to my mother.  It sounds like that is what I am doing to you if I hear you correctly.  Giving you the burger that was shit on correct?  The better course of action would have been for my father to eat the burger, in your Philosophy.  I believe that I ate a shit burger that day, because I wasn’t given a choice to be Baptized.  Maybe I am bitter.  A few years later at Karate camp in the mountains of central California I wondered over in my karate gi to the amphitheater and they were having a Sunday bible service.  He asked everyone in attendance if anyone would like to accept the Jesus Christ our Lord into their hearts.  I went very still and very silent.  20 seconds, 30 seconds at about 45 seconds I raised my hand.  Everybody lite up enthusiastically and suddenly I did too.  I felt it (The Holy Spirit?  My Being?  The energy of the crowd and all the attention directed at my inner world?)  He brought me up on stage and had me repeat it in front of everyone.  I felt different.  That day was very deep and spiritual for me while learning the entire sequence of moves to earn a purple belt (-which I never did take the tees for), on top of a hill at sunset beneath a giant old oak tree- by myself.  I have spent the majority of my life by by myself trying to work through a very complicated self and gain clarity to be the best person I can be.  Please don’t take this post personally.  I wish I could say that my Canadian daughter who never took my last name or include my name on the birth certificate doesn’t matter ( I haven’t seen her in 13 years) but I am still trying not to take that personally as well.  Doing the best I can here Jeff.  Can you work with me??

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 November 2017 14:33

OKAY

IrieCycle

IrieCycle
Joined  18-11-2017

20 November 2017 17:22

okay

[ Edited: 21 November 2017 02:33 by IrieCycle]

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  860
Joined  10-03-2017

21 November 2017 09:27

IrieCycle - 20 November 2017 12:42 PM

I believe that I ate a shit burger that day, because I wasn’t given a choice to be Baptized.  Maybe I am bitter.  A few years later at Karate camp in the mountains of central California I wondered over in my karate gi to the amphitheater and they were having a Sunday bible service.  He asked everyone in attendance if anyone would like to accept the Jesus Christ our Lord into their hearts.  I went very still and very silent.  20 seconds, 30 seconds at about 45 seconds I raised my hand.  Everybody lite up enthusiastically and suddenly I did too.  I felt it (The Holy Spirit?  My Being?  The energy of the crowd and all the attention directed at my inner world?)  He brought me up on stage and had me repeat it in front of everyone.  I felt different.

Sorry in advance, as it seems I haven’t met my quota for popping balloons quite yet. Am I correct in my interpretation that you feel deprived of not having a say as to whether or not you were cleansed of the sin that is your mother? Sounds like some sour grapes to me.

And as for the other little revelation, I think I’m more sorry to say that what you felt was the power of groupthink. Placebo works. It works even better when there’s a captive audience who are mesmerized by the theatrics. Repetition is a very powerful rhetorical device.

IrieCycle

IrieCycle
Joined  18-11-2017

21 November 2017 16:41

ok, it is bit difficult to convey clearly the actual reasons for my actions.  But to further analyse the reasons for my actions in resolving the confounding baptism at an early age by becoming born again Christian years later was an attempt to reconcile me not being able to chose the Baptism for myself thus gain control over my spiritual life.  I do feel there was some authenticity of my experiencing my being deeper than I had before there, but it was mixed with all the other energies of sharing the moment with others.  I don’t think I was bitter about my Mother just needing to claim my spirituality for myself.  (months later I deliberately left the Church to walk a path of my own).
Funny you mentioned repetition because I ended up at the doorstep of a Hare Krishna Temple and spent a couple years chanting the mahatma mantra which led to me delving deep in the mystical teaches of the East. 
Satire has a surprising way of mirroring delusion in way that people can see.  We often chose delusion because of a dishonesty within.

1 2 >