Notes From The Underground

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  866
Joined  10-03-2017

04 December 2017 11:51

EN - 04 December 2017 11:43 AM
LadyJane - 02 December 2017 08:13 AM

It’s also entirely possible some patrons don’t know when to shut the hell up.

Guilty as charged.  I lost my filter long ago.

Camel Unfiltered for life. cool smirk

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1279
Joined  01-11-2014

04 December 2017 16:17

Q.  Are members with most posts tallied the most popular and well liked?

I would say yes, to this question. In many ways, this forum is like a private party that has been going on for years. We late comers can feel like party-crashers and second rate citizens.

Q.  Is this forum exclusively a site for atheists?

You answered this one, and the answer is no.

Q.  Is there a good reason one member is relegated to a single thread?  I mean what’s the deal with that?

I never have quite grasped what the deal is with Brother Mario. I think the answer might relate to your first question – Mario joined the party at the very beginning, so he is part of the old “in” group. ?    ?

Q.  Are female posters encouraged to knuckle under in the face of a challenge?

I hope not. I especially enjoy the female posters who come here. I think women tend to have a different perspective on matters great and small. I miss Ola and Laura G who graced this place for a little while then disappeared. I’m glad Jan has stuck it out.

Q.  What is the significance of the title Notes From The Underground?

Don’t know. I’ve never read the book and I’m too lazy to read about it on Google. Maybe, LJ, you can tell me.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

05 December 2017 08:54

Cheshire Cat - 04 December 2017 04:17 PM

Q.  What is the significance of the title Notes From The Underground?[/color]

Don’t know. I’ve never read the book and I’m too lazy to read about it on Google. Maybe, LJ, you can tell me.

A first person account of the human condition pretty much.  With all the existential angst of a Russian Holden Caulfield written nearly a century before.  Characters can be interesting without being likeable as we know.  And there’s a particularly notable element to an author’s writing when they are suffering in pain.  Things are understood with such clarity it can be felt beyond the page.  Raw.  Real.  The ability to cut through the crap like Wolverine.  The thread title is tweaked just enough to describe the experience of escaping beneath the surface where conversations can be had.  When discussions become futile, get derailed, exclude others or turn into a series of personal stories and name dropping as some get carried away with their lies.  Thanks, but no thanks.  Luckily, there’s a place we can venture where fun runs rampant, honesty is paramount and notes are taken.  Notes from the underground.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

18 February 2018 13:08

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

28 February 2018 08:00

The Bashful Emoticon

I don’t use emoticons because I think they’re embarrassingly stupid.  All of them.  I think anyone over the age of twelve that uses them should question where the trajectory of their life took a hard left and give their head a shake.  They are meant to manipulate.  Gain leverage.  Endear.  Several of them force laughter.  The wink can be sarcastic or condescending depending on context.  But that bashful one.  That little fucker is just a smarmy little liar projecting fake humility.  Like a plea for forgiveness for coming across like such an asshole.  Watch how people use it and get back to me.  Not those of you that use them.  You’ve already lost my respect.  It’s too late for you.

Everybody else.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

28 February 2018 09:18

Cheshire Cat - 04 December 2017 04:17 PM

Q.  Are members with most posts tallied the most popular and well liked?

I would say yes, to this question. In many ways, this forum is like a private party that has been going on for years. We late comers can feel like party-crashers and second rate citizens.

Having posted this, you are now promoted to 1.5 rate citizen.  wink

(Losing LJ’s respect for years now….)

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3301
Joined  21-10-2016

28 February 2018 10:24

LadyJane - 28 February 2018 08:00 AM

The Bashful Emoticon

I don’t use emoticons because I think they’re embarrassingly stupid.  All of them.  I think anyone over the age of twelve that uses them should question where the trajectory of their life took a hard left and give their head a shake.  They are meant to manipulate.  Gain leverage.  Endear.  Several of them force laughter.  The wink can be sarcastic or condescending depending on context.  But that bashful one.  That little fucker is just a smarmy little liar projecting fake humility.  Like a plea for forgiveness for coming across like such an asshole.  Watch how people use it and get back to me.  Not those of you that use them.  You’ve already lost my respect.  It’s too late for you.

Everybody else.

Uh oh ... guilty as charged (for the smiley & wink, anyway).  Losing LJ’s respect has made me very sad.  :-(

Don’t particularly like using emoticons, but also don’t know how else to indicate a lighthearted or sarcasm-with-a-smile response that might be taken the wrong way without the advantage of facial expression and tone of voice.  Too bad there isn’t a special font to indicate a ‘light tone’ – after all, we have italics and bolding for emphasis, and capitalization when we want to yell.  It’s a predicament.

It’s probably a good thing that I don’t know of an emoticon to indicate that I am now hanging my head in shame.
(I have resisted the urge to put a happy face here to indicate that I am laughing as I type this.)

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

28 February 2018 10:54

Is the decision to add one made before or after saying what you have to say?  Does the meaning of the post change if you leave it out?  When is it needed and when is it unnecessary?  Is there a way to express emotion with words instead?  I realize for a lot of people it’s simply force of habit.  It seems to me there’s also a lot of misspent validation.  Is it lazy?  I feel the same way about acronyms.  I think they should be noted at the front end, at least once, prior to using them throughout the rest of a post.  I don’t know them all.

How many words must we abandon in our bastardization of the English language?

When I am at the receiving end of a fellow patron’s unwarranted condescension and they tack on one of those ridiculous looking things I take them even less seriously than I am already taking them.  I haven’t yet located the emoticon that shoots that emoticon in the face.  I would’ve thought the Americans would’ve come up with that little number by now.  I once proposed they create one that gives the finger but I think it would probably just end up looking like an angry M&M.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

28 February 2018 11:25

The cool smile emoji is the only one I’ve been able to bring myself to use ... a handful of times, way back when ... I think.

Is Bashful the pink cheeked or the green cheeked dude?

I don’t trust any of those bastards in any case—they say whatever they want to, not what I’m telling them to, and they change it up between different readers too.

Bastards ... don’t trust ‘em!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

28 February 2018 12:35

LadyJane - 28 February 2018 10:54 AM

Is the decision to add one made before or after saying what you have to say?  Does the meaning of the post change if you leave it out?  When is it needed and when is it unnecessary?  Is there a way to express emotion with words instead?  I realize for a lot of people it’s simply force of habit.  It seems to me there’s also a lot of misspent validation.  Is it lazy?  I feel the same way about acronyms.  I think they should be noted at the front end, at least once, prior to using them throughout the rest of a post.  I don’t know them all.

How many words must we abandon in our bastardization of the English language?

When I am at the receiving end of a fellow patron’s unwarranted condescension and they tack on one of those ridiculous looking things I take them even less seriously than I am already taking them.  I haven’t yet located the emoticon that shoots that emoticon in the face.  I would’ve thought the Americans would’ve come up with that little number by now.  I once proposed they create one that gives the finger but I think it would probably just end up looking like an angry M&M.

In my case, I usually add one after saying what I have to say.  I do usually proofread what I write to fix mistakes before posting.  If I’m being mildly sarcastic to make a point or for humour, I will add one so as not to be misunderstood as being snide or angry.  I really don’t know how to indicate in words that something being said is only mild sarcasm ... and I do so like sarcasm.  (I also hope that context will help make it clear regarding intent.)

I’ve noticed some people will use notations with colons (e.g. :smile:  :wink: ).  Is this preferable, or the same kind of thing?

I usually ‘disable smileys in post’ as I find the little faces a little creepy; prefer the old-fashioned punctuation kind.

For condescension, a smiley face would indeed be stupid and ridiculous.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

28 February 2018 15:00

Jan_CAN - 28 February 2018 12:35 PM

In my case, I usually add one after saying what I have to say.  I do usually proofread what I write to fix mistakes before posting.  If I’m being mildly sarcastic to make a point or for humour, I will add one so as not to be misunderstood as being snide or angry.  I really don’t know how to indicate in words that something being said is only mild sarcasm ... and I do so like sarcasm.  (I also hope that context will help make it clear regarding intent.)

I’ve noticed some people will use notations with colons (e.g. :smile:  :wink: ).  Is this preferable, or the same kind of thing?

I usually ‘disable smileys in post’ as I find the little faces a little creepy; prefer the old-fashioned punctuation kind.

It’s a personal preference, I suppose.  Anyone sensing malicious intent in anything you post is projecting it from themselves.  I seem to recall a rather vicious greeting when you arrived resembling, what can only be described as, an unruly guard dog that somehow slipped its lead.  Thankfully you stuck around.  Many thoughtful patrons have not.  Maybe there should be an emoticon for that.  Like a training clicker for those frothing at the mouth.

I think sarcasm is one of the greatest weapons in the arsenal of conversation.  Especially when it is well placed where it is well deserved.

SkepticX - 28 February 2018 11:25 AM

I don’t trust any of those bastards in any case—they say whatever they want to, not what I’m telling them to, and they change it up between different readers too.

Bastards ... don’t trust ‘em!

Heh heh.  There it is!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

28 February 2018 15:27

LadyJane - 28 February 2018 03:00 PM
Jan_CAN - 28 February 2018 12:35 PM

It’s a personal preference, I suppose.  Anyone sensing malicious intent in anything you post is projecting it from themselves.  I seem to recall a rather vicious greeting when you arrived resembling, what can only be described as, an unruly guard dog that somehow slipped its lead.  Thankfully you stuck around.  Many thoughtful patrons have not.  Maybe there should be an emoticon for that.  Like a training clicker for those frothing at the mouth.

I think sarcasm is one of the greatest weapons in the arsenal of conversation.  Especially when it is well placed where it is well deserved.

Thank you, LadyJane.  You have a good memory regarding my early days, and I will never forget that you provided encouragement.  In addition to sarcasm, my stubbornness has been a useful tool around here, haha.  Yes, it sure would be fun if we could create our own emoticons.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

06 March 2018 13:20

I’ve been having to go into the office to work on this project for the last two weeks. And I’m now being told that this will be the norm for the next three months. Not only am I not happy about this at all, but I also blame you people for curtailing my social skills down to staring at people who say stupid things. While I believe this is a phenominal tactic, I used to be able to at least conjure up some semblance of an atta boy. Now I just peer at the person declaring the dumb idea until he or she does an uncomfortable double take. And then for some reason I smile. It’s all very off putting for everyone involved.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

06 March 2018 13:49

Jb8989 - 06 March 2018 01:20 PM

I’ve been having to go into the office to work on this project for the last two weeks. And I’m now being told that this will be the norm for the next three months. Not only am I not happy about this at all, but I also blame you people for curtailing my social skills down to staring at people who say stupid things. While I believe this is a phenominal tactic, I used to be able to at least conjure up some semblance of an atta boy. Now I just peer at the person declaring the dumb idea until he or she does an uncomfortable double take. And then for some reason I smile. It’s all very off putting for everyone involved.

You have to grimace before the smile or it won’t work.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

06 March 2018 14:21

Jb8989 - 06 March 2018 01:20 PM

I recommend zipping up your fly.  And start wearing underwear.

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›