FROZEN In Hawai’i

FROZEN

FROZEN
Total Posts:  51
Joined  20-12-2017

20 December 2017 14:10

Hi Sam, SHF members and those agents lurking in the shadows,

I have to admit something right off the bat.
I just moved off the USA mainland and relocated to the Hawaiian Islands in anticipation of a total societal collapse.
Yep, thats what i did.
Well, total societal collapse first and the weather second, the weather here is SPECTACULAR!

A little sumpt’in about me…
Im not sure how long ill be around, I have a terminal condition which I am taking steps to avoid, the terminal part that is.
I have decided on entering into long term stasis with instructions for reanimation after life supporting tech becomes a reality.
With the advancements in AI that wait shouldn’t be too long.
Maybe some of you younger members will still be around when im reanimated, maybe.
* If you would like me to deliver a message to your older self in the not so distant future, please leave that message here…

So I got that whole freezing myself thing going on plus I have a Doxie ... which is awesome.

I usually try to ask a NOOB question whenever I have to do an intro on a new site so here it goes.

If you could only take one thing with you into the future, what would that one thing be?

Thanks for creating this site,
FROZENinHawai’i

[ Edited: 21 December 2017 18:44 by FROZEN]

Mr Wayne

Mr Wayne
Total Posts:  761
Joined  01-10-2014

20 December 2017 16:14

If society collapses who will be around to thaw you out properly.

Welcome to this place.  Tell us about your new adventure in Hawaii’s Hawai’i Island.

FROZEN

FROZEN
Joined  20-12-2017

20 December 2017 17:08

Mr Wayne - 20 December 2017 04:14 PM

If society collapses who will be around to thaw you out properly.

Welcome to this place.  Tell us about your new adventure in Hawaii’s Hawai’i Island.

Oh man, i guess i didnt think that plan through all the way. Thanks Mr Wayne

Hawai’i is great.
The weather is amazing.
This morning there was a form of rain that really doesnt even seem like rain. Its more like the air becomes so pregnant with dew that rain spontaneously appears in front of your face, kisses your eyeballs then settles down on your cheeks until you shoo it away.
Then it forms droplets but instead of falling to the ground it decides to mosey around the side yard until it falls up into the trees.
I walked out into the back yard to pick up a fallen palm frond and as i stepped over an exposed palm root a shaft of illuminated rain spotted me, encircled me and followed me over to the compost pile, then just turned itself off and disappeared.
The rain here is like the first time you kiss a new friend, soft, gentle and honest.

The trades are in hibernation today but a gust of sea spray reached the porch and salted my scrampled eggs before I could protect them.
But there are usually cool breezes all day.

After breakfast I watched a pair of Ne Ne geese waddle across the back yard, jump over the lava rock fence and disappear into the jungle without missing a beat in their conversation.
I haven’t learned to speak Ne Ne yet but ive only been here a little while so there is still time to learn. Nee Ne Neeeee.

So tell me a little about the site and of course yourself.
How did you find your way to this site?
Do you recall the first time you realized that some guy named Sam was just brilliant and you just had to learn more about him?

Im not the fanboy type myself but i can remember thinking, after hearing just one odd snippet of an even odder podcast, that his logic was pure, open, reasoned.
Good job Sam is all i can remember thinking, well done sir!
He made his point like a gentleman, an articulate, assertive but not aggressive, gentleman.

Wish there were more gentlemen in our leadership. Im getting tired of making excuses for my country and my countrymen.

Sorry, took a turn there.

Oh well, the radio just announced a big winter storm blowing in so i better bring in the solar panels, batten down the hatches and get out the cold weather gear, i guess my intro is over…

FROZEN

[ Edited: 20 December 2017 22:22 by FROZEN]

Mr Wayne

Mr Wayne
Total Posts:  761
Joined  01-10-2014

20 December 2017 19:37

This is an interesting place to listen, very civil.  I’ve found my place - somewhere near the bottom.
I’m not a lawyer, doctor, or psychologist - you will find a few here.  I’m a retired chemist.  I worked as a technician and supervisor in a soybean crush plant laboratory.

I’m a long time atheist, 65 yrs old, since my early 20’s.  I briefly was an active member of American Atheists

I’m interested in neuroscience and the mind.  I read a few of Sam’s books:  Letter To A Christian Nation, The End of Faith, The Moral Landscape.
Also, I’m interested in evolution and in the history of science in general.  I read two of Dawkin’s books:  The God Delusion, The Blind Watchmaker

I will listen to good ideas from people outside my small circle. 

FROZEN

FROZEN
Joined  20-12-2017

20 December 2017 20:02

Mr Wayne - 20 December 2017 07:37 PM

This is an interesting place to listen, very civil. 
I will listen to good ideas from people outside my small circle.

Nice to meet you.
Not sure i know too many people today that will listen to a differing opinion outside of their circle.
Soy is interesting. The food of the future or at least the immediate future.
Im eating edamame right now so thank you for your work.

Im looking forward to engaging in some spirited yet civil discourse.
Ill look up your posts and see if i can add any to the discussion.
I like beekeeping, transgenics and industrial ag so there might be some overlap.

Thanks for the welcome,
Frozen

[ Edited: 20 December 2017 22:26 by FROZEN]

Magda

Magda
Total Posts:  633
Joined  01-12-2014

21 December 2017 10:33

Ha ha, I have to admit I clicked on your intro because I thought it might be something to do with Disney’s animated film Frozen and wondered what nut case this could be arriving at the forum now! That says more about me than anything else.

But I’m glad that you have arrived.  Your story is interesting .  I would like to try and understand your thought processes/reasons for making the decision to be frozen when you die. My death is not something that holds any worry for me.  Not for any spiritual reason but more because I feel it is the natural way of things. I live in the countryside (in England) and life and death, in equal measure, are all around. There is a rhythm and a balance to life and death.  I’d rather it wasn’t coming up too soon in my life but I also wouldn’t want to cheat death when it arrives. Maybe my attitude is this way because a few years ago I had a type of cancer, nothing aggressive, but it got me thinking about death and what might be the basis for my fears. I came to realise that it wasn’t death that I feared but not living, living fully.  Reaching the end of my life and feeling that I had only touched the surface. Since coming to that understanding my own death hasn’t really bothered me.

Your post reminded me of something that happened a few weeks ago. I was visiting a client who was in her 90’s and had a really hard life growing up on a farm in North Yorkshire.  She is a very strong character, intelligent (although of course this potential was never realised) and a great sense of humour.  Over the last year I have become extremely fond of her and she is dying now. I was visiting her in the nursing home and even though she was riddled with cancer her spirit and her strong character was still very much there. She has said for some time that she is ‘ready to go’.  She was talking about a programme she had watched on the television and how interesting it was. How much she had learnt from it.  I was quite sad when I left as I didn’t know if it would be the last time I would see her. A few minutes later I was sitting in traffic and I saw a woman with a pram hurrying along in the rain. She couldn’t see, but I could, that her young child was straining in the seat to be as far forward as possible so that his head was out from under the buggy cover and he could be out in the rain.  I could see that his tongue was stuck right out to catch the drops.  Somehow,  my client and the child enjoying the rain seemed connected.

Why, if one lives every experience of the day to its full (and by the sound of your post, you do) do you want to cheat death? Surely it’s the keenness of death that makes life, well life.

Having said that I do admire your bravery.  I have always felt that much of scientific progress could not have been made without individuals being prepared to step out into the darkness. 

FROZEN

FROZEN
Joined  20-12-2017

21 December 2017 20:08

Magda - 21 December 2017 10:33 AM

Ha ha, I have to admit I clicked on your intro because I thought it might be something to do with Disney’s animated film Frozen. But I’m glad that you have arrived.

Thank you Magda for your warm welcome.
I laughed so hard after reading your first line. Thanks for making your greeting funny, clever, smart.
Im sure (nut case) traffic to this site has increased since Sams appearances on the JRE and TED.

I must have subconsciously chosen FROZEN.
My SO is a teacher and times being hard as they are today her decompression period after work is growing and she fills the time with animated movies like Frozen, Moana and Harry Potter. Lots of HP!
So maybe my FROZEN handle was a natural choice because FLUFFY just didnt fit.

About the cryo thing.
Why not is my best answer. Its a lame answer i know, but really, why not?
I think it was one of your countrymen that said rage against the dying of the light.
Cant remember right now who said that. Thats the beauty of forgetting, you cant remember why you remembered something.

Do not go gentle into that good night
Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Ill tell you a secret about me that I dont like to admit.
When I look back on my life I regret not doing the things I was too afraid to do. So i got to thinking, why am i torturing myself. Why am I struggling with this issue when I dont have to.
Im not afraid to die but afraid to try, to live forever.

Here is how I resolved my inner angst.
If in 100 years every person on the planet has AI nano tech enhancements, ill just be a man ahead of my time.
So what if I have to be frozen for 100 years because for me, it will only feel like one day.
If the difference between living forever and dying forever is only one day, I can wait one day.
I don’t want to be the last guy on my block to die forever. Not if I dont have to. LOL

Lots more to say but not tonight. Dinner time, gotta go.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheers,
Frozen

[ Edited: 22 December 2017 03:17 by FROZEN]