The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8967
Joined  20-02-2006

28 December 2017 11:54

At the time this book appeared in 1869 the publisher advertised, ‘A laugh on every page!’  I’m in chapter 4 and this is true.

There’s a reason why there’s an annual award for humor called The Mark Twain Prize (broadcast on PBS).  On this Amazon site, there are some one line reviews from December 2017 readers.  https://www.amazon.com/Innocents-Abroad-Mark-Twain/dp/1619492350/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514490523&sr=8-1&keywords=the+innocents+abroad  (click on customer reviews and scroll down to December 2017)

5.0 out of 5 starsAn unexpected journey in laughter
December 11, 2017

“This gifted author, known for his wit and humor, does not disappoint in that regard. But his poetic word pictures of the sights he sees are beautiful and stimulate the imagination. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey and laughed out loud, page after page, and chapter after chapter. A new sight of Mark Twain I never expected.”  hugh tobin

[ Edited: 28 December 2017 11:58 by unsmoked]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3494
Joined  21-10-2016

10 January 2018 10:55

unsmoked - 28 December 2017 11:54 AM

At the time this book appeared in 1869 the publisher advertised, ‘A laugh on every page!’  I’m in chapter 4 and this is true.

There’s a reason why there’s an annual award for humor called The Mark Twain Prize (broadcast on PBS).  On this Amazon site, there are some one line reviews from December 2017 readers.  https://www.amazon.com/Innocents-Abroad-Mark-Twain/dp/1619492350/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514490523&sr=8-1&keywords=the+innocents+abroad  (click on customer reviews and scroll down to December 2017)

Thanks for the recommendation.  I’d recently seen a documentary about Mark Twain which mentioned these travels, so your post piqued my interest and I ordered the book.  I’ve read several chapters so far and am thoroughly enjoying it.

It makes me wonder which writers of today will still be read and enjoyed in 150 years.

Just a note:  I ordered a copy from Amazon.ca (see below) rather than from the site you listed in the U.S.  The front cover is different, but I assumed it was the same book.  The copy of the book I received has no front page with copyright, publisher/printer info, ISBN, etc.  (When reading I also noticed a few typos which I would expect an editor would correct.)  I would have thought that a book by a published author, even from this long ago, would be copyrighted and assigned an ISBN (my copy of The Complete Works of Shakespeare does).  Does your copy of The Innocents Abroad have this information?

Amazon.ca – The Innocents Abroad
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1523295848/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

[ Edited: 10 January 2018 10:58 by Jan_CAN]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3494
Joined  21-10-2016

12 January 2018 03:06

Okay, so I’m a little further along in my reading of this book.  The author displays the stereotypical American/Westerner traveller’s perspective of assumed superiority and makes some comments that today would be considered blatantly racist.  Of course the humour is there, but readers will have to remind themselves of the times in which it was written.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8967
Joined  20-02-2006

16 February 2018 09:24

Jan_CAN - 12 January 2018 03:06 AM

Okay, so I’m a little further along in my reading of this book.  The author displays the stereotypical American/Westerner traveller’s perspective of assumed superiority and makes some comments that today would be considered blatantly racist.  Of course the humour is there, but readers will have to remind themselves of the times in which it was written.

I noticed the same thing as I got into the book.  My library copy was due back while still only half way and when I tried to renew was surprised that someone else was waiting for it.  Will need to reserve it again so I can see what happened in the Holy Land.  (“If Jesus were alive today, the last thing he’d be is a Christian.” - Mark Twain)