1 2 3 > 

Own Your Own Zombie Apocalypse

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5778
Joined  22-02-2005

09 January 2018 21:32

Zombie Apocalypse, as a term, is finding a foothold in our general lexicon. It is wonderfully evocative. There are people who, while animated, are actually lifeless inside. How they function or what drives them is not understood. They seem mindless as they mindlessly consume and turn everything into shit. There is no reasoning with them. They encourage others to be mindless and lifeless with them. All without even realizing that they are zombies. Such realizations are beyond their cognitive capabilities.

This might call up images of aspiring actors in heavy make-up with- blood-squibs exploding in their hair but there is an easier image to conjure. Other posters.

What makes someone a zombie? Foreign radiation or supernatural influence is usually cited in the case of the heavy make-up type. No dressing up is required if you have beliefs. I don’t mean theism. Any belief will render one as a zombie in the eyes of others who do not believe them with you. Those who do not run away will try to puncture the beliefs with verbal crowbars and icy word picks. They defend life and truth against the zombies all while being perceived as zombies by other zombies who also do not know they are zombies.

No one comes to the forum and annouces, “Pay no attention to me. I am a mindless zombie.” Okay, one or two have.

How many zombies does it take to make an apocalypse? That takes a consortium of similarly believing zombies, right? A forum full of Mabuses would be an apocalypse. So would a forum full of EN’s or a forum full of jb’s or any poster you can think of. As long as you don’t share their beliefs.

Every poster is the hero of their own zombie adventure. Inbetween plunging metaphorical pruning shears into the believing brains of the obvious zombies, the posting hero seeks like-minded (non-zombie) fellowship. This can solidify hope for a zombie-free future. No one wants to be the Omega Man who can only fake his fellowship with what he knows to be inanimate objects. He knows that when he stops, so does all non-zombie reality.

A typical thread face-off could be dramatically staged as two heavily made-up combatants taking turns exclaiming, “Hey, shit for brains! Look in the mirror! You’re a zombie!”

Also typical is the assumption that beliefs are as easy to wipe off as grey face cream or an EXTRA EYEBALL. They plainly are not and that is plainly baffling to the combatants. Less baffling for The Mabus. We can blame alcohol and basement radon or fumes from the water heater. What about my pals Bruce? Or any patron who seems reasonable, intelligent and carries on a demanding profession? Blindspots? Emotional investment? Something beyond our own experience and imagination? Did someone put on some zombie make-up just to rattle the locals?

What could rattle a patron more than being treated like a zombie when they are sure they are not a zombie? How dare you address me as if I were a zombie? Isn’t it obvious who the zombies are?

For any poster with a unique point of view, like me or The Mabus, every day is the zombie apocalypse. Granted, that includes the rest of mankid and not just the forum. For the typical patron, zombies are something you spot in the crowd or discover in the midst of a flurry of patrons trying to metaphorically insert a soldering iron into their ear.

We fight for the survival of our beliefs. Whoops, I mean, firmly reasoned conclusions. This is the war zone.

Can any patron admit to, or cite an example of, anyone ever being convinced of anything by another patron? Or do those damn zombies just keep coming at ya?

[ Edited: 09 January 2018 21:36 by Nhoj Morley]

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  262
Joined  20-07-2017

09 January 2018 22:10

https://www.samharris.org/forum/viewreply/880480/

Celal: “Your argument for why 1.33°F increase in Global Temperatures matters is most excellent.  I accept.”

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

09 January 2018 23:10

Well reconoitered, soldier!

Patron Celal is the first to receive the soon to be coveted Purple Brain of the Crossed Lobe Award. The Victory appears to go to Patron no profundia. Let us let out a blood-curling “Huzzah!” in the victors honor.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14756
Joined  24-12-2004

10 January 2018 05:18

Nhoj Morley - 09 January 2018 09:32 PM

No one comes to the forum and annouces, “Pay no attention to me. I am a mindless zombie.” Okay, one or two have.

But they’re usually just another species of zombie—xombies. They have an X Factor—awareness of the whole zombie schtick and the fact that appear to be zombies to others. When they’re xombies the X Factor informs them they need a plausibility structure that addresses the whole zombie thing so they can essentially say pay no attention to my appearance, I’m not really a zombie because ... . And they’re right. They’re not zombies. They’re xombies, with the X Factor bonus—typically much more agile and evasive than standard issue zombies.

How many zombies does it take to make an apocalypse? That takes a consortium of similarly believing zombies, right? A forum full of Mabuses would be an apocalypse. So would a forum full of EN’s or a forum full of jb’s or any poster you can think of. As long as you don’t share their beliefs.

Another perhaps subtle but important distinction—partial zombies/xombies. Some of the cooler z/xombie kids only slip into z/xombie mode when their kryptonite is present, but are at least more or less non-z/xombies otherwise. I’d argue that most if not all of us have some xombieism going on (it’s the way human brains work, so it’s the way human brain owners work—especially those in denial about being human brain owners ... or zombies who want to be xombies and only need a technical excuse to presume they are) and need to be vigilant in order to keep the z/xombie inside at least most of the time it’s trying to get out. In any case the less z/xombieing we can do the better, but we’ve all got to take a bite out of the entrails now and then. Just try to recover before you swallow!

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

10 January 2018 05:33

Can any patron admit to, or cite an example of, anyone ever being convinced of anything by another patron? Or do those damn zombies just keep coming at ya?

Not exactly I suppose, but apostasy the the proven capacity to recognize one’s own z/xombieism, at least in one case. Every significant change of viewpoint demonstrates this capacity. The lack of any such significant changes of mind, as disappointing as this is to the xombies I’m sure, is not actually affirmation that you’ve got it all right and have all along (every so often a xombie will throw that one out there, like displaying a portion of visually intact body as validation of non-z/xombieism—never mind that it was retrieved from a pocket or knapsack for display, or is being proudly worn on a neck chain).

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20189
Joined  11-03-2007

10 January 2018 08:19

When I came to the forum 10 years ago, I still had the holdover belief that the entire Bible was the inerrant word of God.  Of course, I had so many exceptions and excuses that they practically consumed the general rule, but I still proclaimed the mantra.  That has now gone by the wayside, largely as a result of interactions here, as I began to focus in on why I still believed (an exercise inspired by my interactions with you).  As I came to focus more on my personal experience, rather than dogma, I began to see that I simply no longer believed in the inerrancy of scripture or in certain doctrines like eternal hell or even the Virgin Birth.  My faith is based on experience, not scripture. So the zombies here have had a great influence on me.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14889
Joined  17-12-2006

10 January 2018 09:10

EN - 10 January 2018 08:19 AM

When I came to the forum 10 years ago, I still had the holdover belief that the entire Bible was the inerrant word of God.  Of course, I had so many exceptions and excuses that they practically consumed the general rule, but I still proclaimed the mantra.  That has now gone by the wayside, largely as a result of interactions here, as I began to focus in on why I still believed (an exercise inspired by my interactions with you).  As I came to focus more on my personal experience, rather than dogma, I began to see that I simply no longer believed in the inerrancy of scripture or in certain doctrines like eternal hell or even the Virgin Birth.  My faith is based on experience, not scripture. So the zombies here have had a great influence on me.

We eat brains. First you’ve got to open the skull, then you open up the brain, juicy and succulent ready to be devoured. Siphon off the deadly fumes of belief and dogma (sort of like cutting the liver out of a puffer fish so you don’t die when you eat fugi) and ladle in a dollop of clarity as it gets tossed into the pan. Low heat is best.

I ate Einstein’s brain
With a glass if fine Chianti
Sauteed in butter, plain
And served on a croissanti.

A standard event at the “end of consciousness party” that closes the Tucson Conferences “Toward a Science of Consciousness” is performance of The Zombie Blues, with David Chalmers as MC and with many conference participants getting up and sharing lyrics of their own composition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vkmagXAhtE (if anybody watches this all the way through, without simply cherry picking random moments they that is proof that they are a zombie).

[ Edited: 10 January 2018 09:18 by burt]

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14889
Joined  17-12-2006

10 January 2018 09:16

Seriously, fixed beliefs keep people asleep, wallowing in dreams and gaining support and stability from others who superficially seem to accept those dreams as part of the bargain of consideration: I’ll pretend to believe your ego trips if you pretend to believe mine.

Asleep:

Caught in a swirl of contrived careless schemes,
Squandering time on what glitters and gleams,
With fears held at bay
I say I’m okay
Selling my birthright for sweet candy dreams.

See all those sparkling personalities,
Waving banners brightly in each breeze,
The glitter and smile
And all of the while
Seem quite proud of their dreadful disease.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4822
Joined  19-08-2010

10 January 2018 09:38

burt - 10 January 2018 09:10 AM

We eat brains. First you’ve got to open the skull, then you open up the brain, juicy and succulent ready to be devoured…

So what you are really saying is,  you like to keep an open mind!

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  753
Joined  10-03-2017

10 January 2018 10:35

Of course, although I can’t really think of any one example which stands out more than the rest. I’ve found the varied and nuanced perspectives presented by many forum members to be quite refreshing, and personally find value in being corrected when I’m wrong (it just means I’ll wind up knowing more, after all).

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16271
Joined  15-02-2008

10 January 2018 16:52

I don’t know about convinced on a major view, but I’ve learned a lot and changed a lot since I arrived here. A 1000 x 0.1% changes = 100%.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2040
Joined  21-10-2016

10 January 2018 17:17

Although some of the zombies can be quite scary, I think I’ve been learning and have a better understanding of others’ views.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  915
Joined  01-11-2014

10 January 2018 17:48

“Ballad Of The Dying Man”

Naturally the dying man wonders to himself:
Has his commentary been more elusive than anybody else?
And had he successfully beaten back the rising tide
Of idiots, dilettantes, and fools
On his watch while he was alive
Lord, just a little more time

Oh, in no time at all
This’ll be the distant past
Ooh

So says the dying man once I’m in the box
Just think of all the overrated hacks running amok
And all of the pretentious, ignorant voices that will go unchecked
The homophobes, hipsters, and 1%
The false feminists he’d managed to detect
Oh, who will critique them once he’s left?

Oh, in no time at all
This’ll be the distant past

What he’d give for one more day to rate and analyze
The world made in his image as of yet
To realize what a mess to leave behind

Eventually the dying man takes his final breath
But first checks his news feed to see what he’s ‘bout to miss
And it occurs to him a little late in the game
We leave as clueless as we came
For the rented heavens to the shadows in the cave
We’ll all be wrong someday

— Father John Misty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNy8D_zqOmo

[ Edited: 12 January 2018 07:36 by Cheshire Cat]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

10 January 2018 21:06

In this arena there is more courage and synaptic fortitude in surrender than victory.

Losing is winning. A victory should be humbling for the victor.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

12 January 2018 05:16

It is not like I don’t know what goes on on Fox News. It is hard not to know. However, that does not prepare one for the real time experience of it.

I have been delving into the Fox News Channel on Utoob searching for material for a project. I’m looking for certain ways of putting things and certain ironies. It was surprising how easy it was to find them. In some cases, I had a wealth of choices from ten minutes of searching. The task still takes a toll.

I had forgotten about the repeating and pounding waves of shudders of horror and disgust. And how, after devastating the intellect, the presentation goes on to upset the primal functions of digestion and sleep.

Just knowing the Foxes are out there in great numbers hoping to eat your brain and make you one of them can unsettle one’s whole life. Boarding up the windows and doors won’t stop ‘em. They can slither up your internet connection and down your old roof aerial. Reading the comments below the videos is something I no longer dare do. Some things are too horrible to see like this bold public admission, “Fox News makes me horny”. They have cornered the necrophiliac demographic.

It doesn’t take long to notice the pattern that Jon Stewart vividly described of the circular self-generating news cycle. Or how, after an anchor makes some brash commentry, once anyone outside of Fox comments about it, it is transformed into a National Issue that the MSM won’t talk about.

Our Pumpkin-in-Chief is the exemplar of Fox’s target audience while also the exemplar of their ideal news source. It is a sort of news hurricane.

I will hack this material to pieces (edit it) for my own nefarious purposes but with a barf bag at my side. Zombie Apocalypse is not a strong enough term to describe this.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

12 January 2018 07:34

Jan_CAN - 10 January 2018 05:17 PM

Although some of the zombies can be quite scary, I think I’ve been learning and have a better understanding of others’ views.

The irony with these z/xombies is that, at least for the most part, if they’re ignored they’re also powerless to do their thing.

The catch is that we don’t have a means by which to ensure that z/xombies don’t vote—no way to force the conversion to full, present human at the polls.

1 2 3 >