1 2 3 >  Last ›

Forum relocation

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2619
Joined  21-10-2016

17 January 2018 13:02

Whew ... that was kind of scary.  I thought the SH Forum had disappeared and we were all sent on our separate ways, never to meet again.  I hope everyone finds their way here okay.  It’s a bit disconcerting to realize that these ‘friendships’, that seem real enough to me though we have never met, could be cut off at any time.

Thank you, Sam Harris and Admins, for providing us with a new space to continue our discussions.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9176
Joined  20-10-2006

17 January 2018 13:38

Yep.  That unexpected sudden shut down left me wondering, too.  Sam lets us play here at his expense and pleasure, so I’m happy to see we didn’t disappear into the ether without saying good byes.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3551
Joined  20-11-2013

17 January 2018 14:19

When the demise of Project Reason was rumored a couple of years ago, I put up a free forum on my website and invited those who wanted a place to go in case Project Reason was “disappeared”.  Dennis was an Admin.  very few others came, no one stayed.  I kept it online for a year (which I had promised), but it died on the vine.

That’s always an option, in case Sam wants to go wholly pay-for-play, as he has done now on SamHarris.org.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6034
Joined  22-02-2005

17 January 2018 17:01

They could give us a head’s up about these things. For a bit, it sounded like the re-launch would be a clean slate. The whole works seems to be here intact.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16878
Joined  15-02-2008

17 January 2018 17:02

I didn’t think it was coming back, it was a weird feeling to have all that extra time to kill.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

17 January 2018 17:06

Is SH just trying to distance himself and protect his brand?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

17 January 2018 17:15

It is the visible strength of this forum community that has continued to prompt our Ubers and The Boss to take the extra effort to see that this pile of bits and bytes is preserved. (If they seem to forget, I remind them)

Any gratitude expressed to the .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) would not be miss-spent.

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

17 January 2018 21:00

Agreed. It is sweet of Harris et al to let us crash on their couch or live in their basement, however you want to frame it, ha ha. I do think that when digesting new ideas, there’s a big difference between doing that in a totally passive manner and having some kind of feedback loop, no matter how small, where receptive turns to expressive. I could kind of feel my interest levels viscerally drop when it looked like it was going to go from “listen and discuss” to “listen and then… do your laundry or something.” I suppose the crazy young kids these days talk about these things on Reddit or whatever but something about that format just doesn’t appeal to me.

brazen4

brazen4
Total Posts:  166
Joined  09-08-2017

17 January 2018 22:42

Whew, its good to know I’m not alone with my insecurities. I’ve come to thoroughly enjoy the level of discourse on this forum even when I only partially grasp what is being said. It’s the politeness within the give and take and the depth of knowledge that keeps me here.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  19-01-2015

18 January 2018 01:46

Hello everyone - glad we aren’t scattered to the four winds.

I am a bit miffed that we are considered 2nd class citizens compared to donors on the new site. I doubt that a community can just be created from nothing on the new page - grandfathering the old one in would make way more sense to me.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

18 January 2018 04:22

Nhoj Morley - 17 January 2018 05:15 PM

It is the visible strength of this forum community that has continued to prompt our Ubers and The Boss to take the extra effort to see that this pile of bits and bytes is preserved. (If they seem to forget, I remind them)

Any gratitude expressed to the .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) would not be miss-spent.

Done.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 January 2018 08:04

Hopefully all current members will find their way here and that no one will assume the forum has been shut down.  I have some concern that there will be a reduction in the number of new members and guests as there is now no direct listing of the forum on the main menu.  (The forum link is currently listed only on a submenu at the bottom of a second page.)  The total number of logged in users and guest numbers are very low at present.

[ Edited: 18 January 2018 08:13 by Jan_CAN]

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  862
Joined  10-03-2017

18 January 2018 08:22

GAD - 17 January 2018 05:02 PM

I didn’t think it was coming back, it was a weird feeling to have all that extra time to kill.

Seriously. Why bother reading the work that an individual dedicates their entire life to when you can just go on YouTube for a FAQ?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

18 January 2018 09:07

This community grew and flourished at a website that did not bear any author’s name. We were the Project Reason Forum. Nobody, and I mean nobody, had any notion of what Project Reason was or how exactly to pronounce it. (PROject reason or proJECT reason?)

As such, we were free to be a bit nuts and develop an overall forum personality that no one had to own. That has changed now that we post under The Boss’s name. My frequent inquiries upstairs as to whether everyone is comfortable with how we do things here is met with “sure, sure… iz cool. carry on.” But I’m often left with some lingering doubt as to whether anyone upstairs has actually checked.

The truth is, we are not here to focus on or agree with The Boss, though it would not be amiss to say that this forum is still a part of his fan base. We come because of the range of issues and topics that The Boss just happens to cover, too.

We did not grow into an ‘author-based-forum’ like some others I have peeked at. We have been granted a wide latitude that is unusual in this business. I think this is a better way and of more potential value to The Boss and his fans (to the extent that they peek).

The evidence of their support (and maybe their enthusiasm) is plain to see. After a unsettling stretch of blankness.

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  862
Joined  10-03-2017

18 January 2018 09:49

Nhoj Morley - 18 January 2018 09:07 AM

This community grew and flourished at a website that did not bear any author’s name. We were the Project Reason Forum. Nobody, and I mean nobody, had any notion of what Project Reason was or how exactly to pronounce it. (PROject reason or proJECT reason?)

As such, we were free to be a bit nuts and develop an overall forum personality that no one had to own. That has changed now that we post under The Boss’s name. My frequent inquiries upstairs as to whether everyone is comfortable with how we do things here is met with “sure, sure… iz cool. carry on.” But I’m often left with some lingering doubt as to whether anyone upstairs has actually checked.

The truth is, we are not here to focus on or agree with The Boss, though it would not be amiss to say that this forum is still a part of his fan base. We come because of the range of issues and topics that The Boss just happens to cover, too.

We did not grow into an ‘author-based-forum’ like some others I have peeked at. We have been granted a wide latitude that is unusual in this business. I think this is a better way and of more potential value to The Boss and his fans (to the extent that they peek).

The evidence of their support (and maybe their enthusiasm) is plain to see. After a unsettling stretch of blankness.

Oh, projection. The etymological wordplay that is evoked in “Project Reason” seems far more productive toward the furthering of a substantial discussion than the constant battle of [un]intended and arguably misinterpreted conclusions that inextricably emerge from messianic ego worship.

It would seem rather regrettable that Sam Harris speaks publicly about wanting to create a space for the discussion of what truths might actually be found in life when, from what I’ve been able to observe, he’s already created one right on these forums (though there are obviously some terms and phrases which will always be problematic when decontextualized).

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 January 2018 09:55

Thanks for the info, Nhoj.  I had mistakenly assumed that Project Reason had also been located on Sam Harris’ website.  I found the forum later, after hearing about his books and searching for further information about his views, many of which I agree with.  Hopefully we can carry on as before, with new people joining in as well.

1 2 3 >  Last ›