1 2 > 

You are an Extra-Terrestrial Artificial Intelligence…

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1250
Joined  01-11-2014

02 February 2018 16:04

and you have no biological parts. If pieces of you wear out, you manufacture replacements and repair yourself. You are immortal. Time is of no significance; an hour is the same as a thousand years to you.

You have a mission which is to catalog all the life you come across in the galaxy. The information you gather will eventually feed into a database collected by other A.I. beings like yourself.

You arrive at a blue, water planet. It is giving off electromagnetic signals. There is a higher order of life on this planet, one that has civilization and a rudimentary knowledge of science. They call themselves “human beings.” They are the dominant species on the planet.

Part of your mission is to observe these beings and to report on how they have chosen to organize themselves, what their beliefs are, and how they interact with each other and other sentient beings.

Your first observation is that these human beings are fumbling toward a global civilization, yet, at the same time, they are destroying their own planet and probably heading toward extinction.

As you look closer you make more observations about them, such as …

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  866
Joined  10-03-2017

02 February 2018 17:24

Cheshire Cat - 02 February 2018 04:04 PM

and you have no biological parts. If pieces of you wear out, you manufacture replacements and repair yourself. You are immortal. Time is of no significance; an hour is the same as a thousand years to you.

You have a mission which is to catalog all the life you come across in the galaxy. The information you gather will eventually feed into a database collected by other A.I. beings like yourself.

You arrive at a blue, water planet. It is giving off electromagnetic signals. There is a higher order of life on this planet, one that has civilization and a rudimentary knowledge of science. They call themselves “human beings.” They are the dominant species on the planet.

Part of your mission is to observe these beings and to report on how they have chosen to organize themselves, what their beliefs are, and how they interact with each other and other sentient beings.

Your first observation is that these human beings are fumbling toward a global civilization, yet, at the same time, they are destroying their own planet and probably heading toward extinction.

Klaatu barada nikto?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3209
Joined  21-10-2016

02 February 2018 20:51

The ‘human beings’ on this planet are of one species yet invent artificial divisions; they have been observed to kill each other and other species for no logical reason.  Their evolution on different continents and regions of the planet has resulted in variations in language and culture, and later in the creation of borders.  These borders are not fixed geographically and appear to be the focus for many of their conflicts.  This species inhabits a planet with abundant resources, but appear to be incapable of using and allocating these in an effective manner.  They have failed to control their population numbers.  Damage to the environment and the extinction of hundreds of animal species has resulted.  In spite of their technological and scientific advances, they have not yet developed the ability to cooperate as a species.

Conclusion:  A self-destructive and dangerous species.

Recommendation:  Avoidance; reassess next millennium if there is any indication of life on planet.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

03 February 2018 16:57

Jan_CAN - 02 February 2018 08:51 PM

The ‘human beings’ on this planet are of one species yet invent artificial divisions; they have been observed to kill each other and other species for no logical reason.  Their evolution on different continents and regions of the planet has resulted in variations in language and culture, and later in the creation of borders.  These borders are not fixed geographically and appear to be the focus for many of their conflicts.  This species inhabits a planet with abundant resources, but appear to be incapable of using and allocating these in an effective manner.  They have failed to control their population numbers.  Damage to the environment and the extinction of hundreds of animal species has resulted.  In spite of their technological and scientific advances, they have not yet developed the ability to cooperate as a species.

Recommendation:  Avoidance; reassess next millennium if there is any indication of life on planet.

Excellent Report.
A+

ubique13 - 02 February 2018 05:24 PM

Klaatu barada nikto?

Yes, Gort. Klaatu barada nikto.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 February 2018 17:23

Cheshire Cat - 03 February 2018 04:57 PM
Jan_CAN - 02 February 2018 08:51 PM

Excellent Report.
A+

Thanks for high grade, CC (haha).
(But I kinda hope someone also submits another, more optimistic report.)

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

03 February 2018 20:36

Jan_CAN - 03 February 2018 05:23 PM

Yeah, I was hoping for more responses, (silly me).

My basic question is a serious one. If you saw this planet for the first time, what would you make of what humanity has done? How would you weigh our obvious penchant for violence and war versus our inclination for altruism and compassion?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17472
Joined  15-02-2008

03 February 2018 21:03

Cheshire Cat - 03 February 2018 08:36 PM
Jan_CAN - 03 February 2018 05:23 PM

My basic question is a serious one. If you saw this planet for the first time, what would you make of what humanity has done? How would you weigh our obvious penchant for violence and war versus our inclination for altruism and compassion?

Compared to what?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 February 2018 22:17

Not silly at all; I think it was an interesting OP. 
Maybe others just have no imagination (this is meant as a taunt).  ;-)

I’ve also wondered what an outsider would think of us.  (I’ve also wondered what Mozart would have thought of The Beatles.)

Yes, humanity is a mass of contradictions, but I have no comprehensive understanding of why this is.  Anthropologist could explain much of our behaviour due to our evolutionary history, but I don’t expect we’ll ever have a complete answer.  We wage horrible wars, yet have sacrificed our own lives for a friend or a cause.  We create beautiful music and art, yet don’t adequately protect the beauty of our planet and other species.  We have landed on the moon, yet have not managed to feed all of the children. ...

Maybe we’re just too uniquely individualistic for our own good?  If we’d evolved from ants instead of apes, we might be more group-oriented and less self-destructive.  But there wouldn’t have been a Beethoven, or Joan Baez, or Michelangelo, or Stephen Hawking ...

I do believe it’s possible (although perhaps unlikely?) that we’ll evolve to become more rational and cooperative, if there’s enough time.

I’m reminded of a scene in the movie Starman (1984):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNFY1R-d8w

Mark Shermin:  Have people from your world been here before?
Starman:  Before?  Yes.  We are interested in your species.
Mark Shermin:  You mean you’re some kind of anthropologist? Is that what you’re doing here? Just checking us out?
Starman:  You are a strange species.  Not like any other.  And you’d be surprised how many there are. Intelligent but savage.  Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you?  You are at your very best when things are worst.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

04 February 2018 11:00

GAD - 03 February 2018 09:03 PM

Compared to what?

Compared to a detached, unemotional observer such as an AI.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 February 2018 14:18

Cheshire Cat - 04 February 2018 11:00 AM

Compared to what?

What is the AI comparing it against?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

04 February 2018 15:51

GAD - 04 February 2018 02:18 PM

Compared to what?

You wouldn’t be comparing against anything. You would simply be noting behavior. If you were a biologist studying gorillas, you wouldn’t be comparing their behavior to orangutans or chimpanzees; you would simply be noting what the gorillas actually did and how they interacted with themselves and the environment around them.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 February 2018 17:38

Cheshire Cat - 04 February 2018 03:51 PM

Compared to what?

You wouldn’t be comparing against anything. You would simply be noting behavior. If you were a biologist studying gorillas, you wouldn’t be comparing their behavior to orangutans or chimpanzees; you would simply be noting what the gorillas actually did and how they interacted with themselves and the environment around them.

You said, earlier:

For violence, war, altruism and compassion there has to definition and therefore a reference to have comparison. So compared to what, other planets with life? If so how do you know we are not better then average, or even best? Maybe the AI would say, damn, not bad boys.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21394
Joined  11-03-2007

04 February 2018 17:45

Cheshire Cat - 02 February 2018 04:04 PM

They do not understand each other.  Different languages, cultures, beliefs, not to mention the sexes, make communication difficult.  They will have to overcome this disadvantage if they want to advance.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

05 February 2018 07:34

GAD - 04 February 2018 05:38 PM

Compared to what?

You said, earlier:

For violence, war, altruism and compassion there has to definition and therefore a reference to have comparison. So compared to what, other planets with life? If so how do you know we are not better then average, or even best? Maybe the AI would say, damn, not bad boys.

The title of this thread is “You are an Extra-Terrestrial Artificial Intelligence.”

You can look at this blue planet with these human beings on it in any terms you choose.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6685
Joined  08-12-2006

06 February 2018 08:53

Cheshire Cat - 05 February 2018 07:34 AM
GAD - 04 February 2018 05:38 PM

Compared to what?

You said, earlier:

The title of this thread is “You are an Extra-Terrestrial Artificial Intelligence.”

You can look at this blue planet with these human beings on it in any terms you choose.

Impossible because all other sentient civilizations in the universe destroyed themselves before they could build AI. We are the shining example to the rest of the universe because we’re still here.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

06 February 2018 16:49

Antisocialdarwinist - 06 February 2018 08:53 AM

Impossible because all other sentient civilizations in the universe destroyed themselves before they could build AI. We are the shining example to the rest of the universe because we’re still here.

So in your scenario, the AI that is you, would have to be from the future. 

You would have already surveyed the entire galaxy, found it devoid of sentient civilizations and other A.I.s, then somehow returned to our time, which would be your past.

You win the Philip K. Dick award for your report, Anti.

1 2 >