1 2 3 >  Last ›

Why does anything exist?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

04 February 2018 07:17

Obviously this is another take on Krauss’s book “A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing “.
But I would like to extend the question to the theists.
Suspending my credulity for a moment and including the entitiy of God in the word “anything”.
Why is there even a God?

Even if I further suspend by critical thinking and embrace the notion that God exists infinitely forever, and that he had no beginning.
Why or how does such an entity exist.
God is a thing.
Even if things exist infinitely (i.e. “God”), why are there things”?

Why do things exist?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

04 February 2018 07:19

The answer to all of the questions posed is

“I don’t know”.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2388
Joined  21-10-2016

04 February 2018 08:04

jdrnd - 04 February 2018 07:17 AM

Obviously this is another take on Krauss’s book “A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing “.
Suspending my credulity for a moment and including the entitiy of God in the word “anything”.
Why is there even a God?

Even if I further suspend by critical thinking and embrace the notion that God exists infinitely forever, and that he had no beginning.
God is a thing.

Why do things exist?

Why is the wrong question.  It implies that there is an answer, a purpose to existence.  That there is a god.  We and the universe simply are.  It could also have happened that nothing existed, but then there’d be no one to ask why.  Our puny, finite minds can’t comprehend eternity or even nothingness, so in our self-importance, we just make stuff up.

The answer to life, the universe and everything.
Only when you know the question, will you know what the answer means.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

04 February 2018 08:16

Jan_CAN - 04 February 2018 08:04 AM

Why is there even a God?

God is a thing.

Why do things exist?

Why is the wrong question.  It implies that there is an answer, a purpose to existence.  That there is a god.  We and the universe simply are.  It could also have happened that nothing existed, but then there’d be no one to ask why.  Our puny, finite minds can’t comprehend eternity or even nothingness, so in our self-importance, we just make stuff up.

The answer to life, the universe and everything.
Only when you know the question, will you know what the answer means.

I meant why.

but I agree with your comment ...“we just make stuff up”.

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

04 February 2018 09:40

I always find ‘the universe is made of math’ the most intuitively satisfying answer to this question. That doesn’t necessarily make it true, but it does shift intuitions in a way that makes the concept comprehensible.

If I say “‘Stuff’ has always existed”, then my mind cannot really conceive of that, because no matter how far back you go in time, it is always possible to go further, making the idea of ‘always’ meaningless. If I say ‘math has always existed’, I can understand that as being outside of linear timelines in a different way. 2+2 equaling four did not have a ‘starting point’ in the usual sense of the word.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16549
Joined  15-02-2008

04 February 2018 09:55

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

04 February 2018 10:09

GAD - 04 February 2018 09:55 AM

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

I agree.
It would be fun to speculate.

Maybe the answer is,
There is no such thing as “nothing”.

Perhaps the question in the opening Post should be:
Why does “nothing” not exist?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

04 February 2018 10:10

NL. - 04 February 2018 09:40 AM

I always find ‘the universe is made of math’ the most intuitively satisfying answer to this question. That doesn’t necessarily make it true, but it does shift intuitions in a way that makes the concept comprehensible.

If I say “‘Stuff’ has always existed”, then my mind cannot really conceive of that, because no matter how far back you go in time, it is always possible to go further, making the idea of ‘always’ meaningless. If I say ‘math has always existed’, I can understand that as being outside of linear timelines in a different way. 2+2 equaling four did not have a ‘starting point’ in the usual sense of the word.

Math?

Let me think about that.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20537
Joined  11-03-2007

04 February 2018 10:31

Whether it is God or no-god at the foundation of existence, it just exists.  I don’t think there is a why for God’s existence, and if there is no god, then there is no why for any of reality to exist.  It just does.  We can explore “how”, “what “ and “when” for this inquiry, but not “why”.

But if you are just speculating, then I think things exist so that they can be turned into profit in some manner.  No matter what the inquiry, someone’s making money off of it.  That must why it’s here.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

04 February 2018 11:02

EN - 04 February 2018 10:31 AM

Whether it is God or no-god at the foundation of existence, it just exists.  I don’t think there is a why for God’s existence, and if there is no god, then there is no why for any of reality to exist.  It just does.  We can explore “how”, “what “ and “when” for this inquiry, but not “why”.

But if you are just speculating, then I think things exist so that they can be turned into profit in some manner.  No matter what the inquiry, someone’s making money off of it.  That must why it’s here.

I agree that “Why” is an unknown.
I also agree that a book on “why” could make money for a talented author.

But do you have any theories about how things came into existence, there is a “why” component to that question.

Also the thought that there is no such thing as nothing may be part of the answer.
Whatever caused things to exist did the same for God.
What do you think God thinks about his beginning….and don’t day I don’t know the mind of God.
You do for reasons stated on other threads.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  2981
Joined  07-08-2011

04 February 2018 11:26

Why is there even a God?

Why do things exist?

A serious answer is it is unknowable. If you insist on speculation, I say the possibility exists solely to bug you.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

04 February 2018 11:49

Celal - 04 February 2018 11:26 AM

Why is there even a God?

Why do things exist?

A serious answer is it is unknowable. If you insist on speculation, I say the possibility exists solely to bug you.

“bug”?

Nah

“entertain” “amuse”  “titillate”  “intrigue” “beguile” (“distract” from what I’m doing)  “engross” 

But not “bug”.

Why,

Is it bugging you?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2018 12:10

... suspend by critical thinking ...

Did you mean “my”?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  20-11-2013

04 February 2018 12:22

Why does anything exist?  Because it can.  We already have most of the physics to explain the “because” parts.  We don’t have the math for the “why” part to get past the infinite gravity at 10 ^ -umpteen after the beginning.

dbertels

dbertels
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-02-2018

04 February 2018 16:23

This to me is the most fundamental question of all. The most satisfying answer I can think of, at least in our neck of the woods, is that .. Our universe is a ‘process’ that explores all possibilities in space-time, restricted by local physical laws and expressible in number and relation using mathematics.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20537
Joined  11-03-2007

04 February 2018 16:37

jdrnd - 04 February 2018 11:02 AM
EN - 04 February 2018 10:31 AM

I agree that “Why” is an unknown.
I also agree that a book on “why” could make money for a talented author.

But do you have any theories about how things came into existence, there is a “why” component to that question.

Also the thought that there is no such thing as nothing may be part of the answer.
Whatever caused things to exist did the same for God.
What do you think God thinks about his beginning….and don’t day I don’t know the mind of God.
You do for reasons stated on other threads.

Perhaps God just accepts his existence and does what he does.  He probably doesn’t ask questions like this.  I also agree that there is no such thing as nothing.

1 2 3 >  Last ›